Can you theoretical people stop talking about jabs in fight videos as if you actually have brains?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe if you were allowed to Spar you would know the difference between a good and bad jab.
Punch a heavy bag without gloves and one will find out. Punch a Cloth canvas bad and they will learn even more, even when they think they have it right.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I though the OP just wants to discuss "jab".

IMO, to step in the back leg and punch with the leading hand fit the definition of "jab".

There are many way to throw a Jab which is why a Jab isn't just a Jab. There are also different ways to Power a Jab. Boxers have their method of throwing a Jab, Karate has their way, and Kung Fu has their way. We could probably write a book on the Jab and still miss stuff.

This is what the OP has to understand before any real discussion about the Jab can be had.

Statements like this "The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all." is good to get a discussion going. However, statements like this "Do you theoretical people comment just to do it?" on this forum among people who are very experienced with throwing and using a jab is going to get bring some heat. I'm for one am a "Theoretical Person" I don't see it as a bad thing. I see it as natural. First you have a Theory and then you test it out. How can a martial artist or fighter not be theoretical, if they are actually applying what they train and learn?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Ugh,

You asked in your title:

I do have a brain, I have a CT Scan to prove it. :cool:
I also cannot stop just because you asked me too.
I might even do it more, or start up just to see if I can bait you into making more mistakes and set you for crossing the lines of the forum.
Of course many might call that trolling, yet it actually mostly just replying in kind which has the affect of upsetting many who are only looking for conflict.

You asked within your post (* Above *) two questions:

The answer it could be a crappy jab because it didn't land.
The idea of a jab is to hit someone.
It can also be to distance them, to set them up. To get them to make a reaction high so you can go low.

Also theoretically, all techniques are ether early, on time or late.
And for those that are early they are either way early (a Crappy jab) , Early - on time, (* Poor terms here, but I am trying to keep it simple as theoretical seems to upset you - and before you or other complain, understand I am trying to reach out and engage *) and Early Late - which would be just a miss. Which could still be a good jab, just the opponent was a half step ahead in moving or leaning.

Now just to let you , some people consider You People to be derogatory , and insulting.
You * insert race here* People can start a fight real quick.
Change the insert to a different descriptor such as religion or organization or style or art and now you have also engaged with a high emotional posts and also with a high troll count for the choice of the words.

It also could get you reported as being a troll and or a problem person.

Now back to Crappy Jabs

Some of the most crappy jabs I saw were done by the early BJJ guys who did it get a person stepping back and hands high and the would rush in for a single or double leg takedown. :D

So, depending upon the plan a Crappy Jab might even be the plan to get the reaction one is looking for. o_O

Good luck with your posting and we can hope that people don't just start replying with "Crappy Post" to you.

I do wish you the best, even though I am a theoretical person, who also spars and fights (* Not recently due to some injuries *) and I check my theories out while I am sparring.
[/QUOTE]
Yep that title pretty much sets the tone and then the first post from the OP pretty much sets it in tone. No one here has said that the post doesn't match the title. lol No one has accused the the title of being Click Bait.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OP.

There's a lot of knowledge in this forum if you ask the right questions right statements to get it. At best I can only assume you hang around a lot of people who talk about theory of how to throw a jab. I can't speak for others but for me and my training. I don't hang around people like that. I don't know of anyone like that in this forum either. If there are people like that then I'm probably naturally interested in their post and soon leave after I see it.

I could also assume that you just don't want to listen when people are telling you correctly about throwing a jab that won't break your wrist or knuckles, or damaging your hand. There's a big difference between Theory and Experience and for the most part, I think you are confusing the 2.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At best I can only assume you hang around a lot of people who talk about theory of how to throw a jab.
Does not Sound like he's ever been in a ring. If he had he would not ask these things. Sounds young to me with zero experience in any fighting. Needs to stop talking so much and start real training. Boxing then he will get all the jabbing and Action he wants...too much blah..blah...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I though the OP just wants to discuss "jab".

IMO, to step in the back leg and punch with the leading hand fit the definition of "jab".

His OP doesn't really indicate a desire to discuss. It states an unequivocal opinion - one which doesn't make much sense to me.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm here to learn, not make friends or cater to yet ANOTHER system that most certainly picks favorites anyway.

Your explanation does make sense though.
I hear you. There are a lot of very nice folks here that have a ton of experience. There are also a few folks here with a ton of experience that are quite rude right off the cuff. I try to be civil here, I get better responses when I am. I will say that if you get to voicing your opinion here, someone will definitely challenge you on what you say, your age, your experience, how you brush your teeth, or which hand you wipe with. Not all the opinions expressed here are worth much, but some are truly gems. Try to stay humble and honest because some posters can be rough in their delivery of precious knowledge.
So just be prepared to take some advice, it might be really valuable.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A jab is a quick straight with the forward hand. Either it's a quick straight with the forward hand or it isn't.

Yet people are always saying things like "crappy jab," "sorry excuse for a jab," blah blah blah.

If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not. The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all. In which case it would be something else. Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

Do you theoretical people comment just to do it?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A jab is a quick straight with the forward hand. Either it's a quick straight with the forward hand or it isn't.

Yet people are always saying things like "crappy jab," "sorry excuse for a jab," blah blah blah.

If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not. The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all. In which case it would be something else. Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

I have read through this thread and see the expected responses to the way/what questions you have asked so. I will try to be more direct with my answer.

There are 5 jabs that I have learned. Some of them I have heard of by different names.

Basic Jab - Lean into lead foot and punch straight with the lead hand.

Step Jab - Step forward with the lead foot and and extend the lead hand, then bring the rear leg forward to normal distance.

Power Jab - Move forward with the lead foot, slide the back foot and power punch with the lead hand.

Pivot Jab - From orthodox stance, pivot clockwise as you throw the jab.

Back step Jab - Throw the jab as you are stepping back with the rear foot. They are coming toward you.

I suspect what you are calling a "crabby jab" is a pivot jab. The arm is similar in position to a crabs arm and most of the power is from the shoulder. I am just spitballing here.

As far as the comments on this thread. Some are deserved and expected. Some see it as an initiation, some see it as simple aggravation for answering the same old questions. Regardless, I can tell you it does not matter what the format for the conversation, (forum, work, family, etc...) your side of the conversation has not been very becoming or welcoming for others to engage with you. Hence a lot of the push back.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read through this thread and see the expected responses to the way/what questions you have asked so. I will try to be more direct with my answer.

There are 5 jabs that I have learned. Some of them I have heard of by different names.

Step Jab - Step forward with the lead foot and and extend the lead hand, then bring the rear leg forward to normal distance.

Power Jab - Move forward with the lead foot, slide the back foot and power punch with the lead hand.

Back step Jab - Throw the jab as you are stepping back with the rear foot. They are coming toward you.

I suspect what you are calling a "crabby jab" is a pivot jab. The arm is similar in position to a crabs arm and most of the power is from the shoulder. I am just spitballing here.

As far as the comments on this thread. Some are deserved and expected. Some see it as an initiation, some see it as simple aggravation for answering the same old questions. Regardless, I can tell you it does not matter what the format for the conversation, (forum, work, family, etc...) your side of the conversation has not been very becoming or welcoming for others to engage with you. Hence a lot of the push back.
DV, I feel like I missed something. I can't find "crabby" in the post you replied to.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

A++ for effort

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
DV, I feel like I missed something. I can't find "crabby" in the post you replied to.
Crabby Jab lol.

I think he's talking about the Japanese Crab technique lol. I'm pretty sure this film didn't care much for Japan . I gotta try this at least once. I gotta see how long someone would be too shocked to fight. lol

RTMairose

White Belt
Reaction score

Ugh, you raise a really good question. Sometimes people are talking about the jab as a type of straight lead punch. Some are talking about the execution of that lead punch. I wouldn’t necessarily separate the lead punch from its use and effectiveness in boxing, but I strive to understand the lead punch as a non-telegraphic hit in self-defense. You might enjoy learning its history, development, practice and application in the book by Teri Tom, “The Straight Lead.”

Petey Nunchakus

White Belt
Reaction score

Commenting just to do it.. like what you just did with this question? You're 100 percent wrong about jabs, by the way. Good job

(Moderator-edited to fix quotes.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions