Can you theoretical people stop talking about jabs in fight videos as if you actually have brains?

Ugh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A jab is a quick straight with the forward hand. Either it's a quick straight with the forward hand or it isn't.

Yet people are always saying things like "crappy jab," "sorry excuse for a jab," blah blah blah.

If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not. The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all. In which case it would be something else. Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

Do you theoretical people comment just to do it?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A jab is a quick straight with the forward hand. Either it's a quick straight with the forward hand or it isn't.

Yet people are always saying things like "crappy jab," "sorry excuse for a jab," blah blah blah.

If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not. The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all. In which case it would be something else. Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

And you say you're afraid to start fights.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You sure have a lot of opinions for someone who is afraid to start a fight, freezes up and can't move when confronted, and has like 2.5 minutes of training...

OP
Ugh

Ugh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You sure have a lot of opinions for someone who is afraid to start a fight, freezes up and can't move when confronted, and has like 2.5 minutes of training...
So let me get this straight.. the fact that I have extreme anxiety and I've trained for under a year total (the 2.5 minutes crap has to stop btw, you make it seem like I only took one class) means I can't tell it how it is?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.. the fact that I have extreme anxiety and I've trained for under a year total (the 2.5 minutes crap has to stop btw, you make it seem like I only took one class) means I can't tell it how it is?
Well, yes, actually. You have no training and no experience. Those are pretty significant, under the circumstances.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jab is just a leading arm punch. If you put your body behind it (such as step in back leg and jab), it will have power. If you don't, it can be just a fake punch to set up your cross.

This is powerful jab.

https://i.postimg.cc/m2M5hMM2/Baji-Fajin.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can be slow. They could not be stepping properly with their foot (if it's a step-jab). They could be flaring their elbow. They could be telegraphing. They could be throwing their shoulder into it. They could be leaning into it too much. They could be dropping their guard when they jab. They could have their thumb on the inside of their fists (if not wearing boxing gloves. They could have their wrist bent. It could be aimed too low or too high. Those are just off the top of my head.

OP
Ugh

Ugh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It can be slow. They could not be stepping properly with their foot (if it's a step-jab). They could be flaring their elbow. They could be telegraphing. They could be throwing their shoulder into it. They could be leaning into it too much. They could be dropping their guard when they jab. They could have their thumb on the inside of their fists (if not wearing boxing gloves. They could have their wrist bent. It could be aimed too low or too high. Those are just off the top of my head.
That makes sense

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the fact that I have extreme anxiety and I've trained for under a year total
This may be why you don't understand Jabs, beyond a fist with the arm extended.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jabs are an art form. I do them so well they named a street after me.

Attachments

• 36063229_10214661996797294_640345083706605568_o.jpg
    36063229_10214661996797294_640345083706605568_o.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 84
OP
Ugh

Ugh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, yes, actually. You have no training and no experience. Those are pretty significant, under the circumstances.
How do I have "no training?"

Oh why do I even ask? You're just gonna change the subject since apparently being well trained in martial arts means you lose all argument skills.

Hope to God that doesn't happen to me too.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently you were because my anxiety should have no bearing on my brutal honesty.
You can be honest without treating others with disrespect. That's social skills 101.
How do I have "no training?"

Oh why do I even ask? You're just gonna change the subject since apparently being well trained in martial arts means you lose all argument skills.

Hope to God that doesn't happen to me too.
Under a year of training is pretty insignificant compared to most people's experience here. Some members have been training for over 40 years.

You can learn a lot about martial arts on here (I certainly have) but you're not entitled to that knowledge. Understanding this - and behaving like a decent person - will get you further.

Back to your question. A jab is a jab, but the quality may differ. If a jab is subpar in terms of power, speed, defensive cover or tactical usage, it's a bad jab.

OP
Ugh

Ugh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You can be honest without treating others with disrespect. That's social skills 101.

Under a year of training is pretty insignificant compared to most people's experience here. Some members have been training for over 40 years.

You can learn a lot about martial arts on here (I certainly have) but you're not entitled to that knowledge. Understanding this - and behaving like a decent person - will get you further.

Back to your question. A jab is a jab, but the quality may differ. If a jab is subpar in terms of power, speed, defensive cover or tactical usage, it's a bad jab.
I'm here to learn, not make friends or cater to yet ANOTHER system that most certainly picks favorites anyway.

Your explanation does make sense though.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's your call if you want to make friends or not. But it's also your responsibility how you treat others.

If you tell a senior instructor in full-contact karate to "drive off a cliff", don't expect him to share his knowledge about sparring with you. The rule here, like in IRL social settings, is to keep discussions civil.

Your call.