Can you make this take down work - ankle pull?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the picture is off.
Lots of gaps about what is going on.or what should be going on. If you do it like it's shown in the picture then you're putting yourself at risk.
ankle-pull.jpg

1. Take note of the feet position
  2. Take note of the feet position. Is he moving forward or back? Is he grabbing the leg or the paints?
  3. Take note of the feet position. Did he move forward, backwards or to the sides? Why is his opponent not putting weight on the leg that is being lifted? Why is he not hoping back on the standing leg to maintain a better distance for balance and leverage?
  4. Take note of the feet position. How did that rear foot of the guy in the white pants get so close to the lead foot of the guy in the black pants. The guy in the black pants is leaning back but his opponent is falling backwards. If I want to make someone fall back like that I would lift and move forward. If I wanted to stretch someone out then I would lift and move backwards.
I used to have an old karate book just like this, and it's still as confusing now as it was when I was a kid.

For me personally I would never grab someone like what is in #2.

It is basically what I will be going for if I ever spar you. When you hit those super wide stances.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is basically what I will be going for if I ever spar you. When you hit those super wide stances.
I prefer to be in super wide stance than in super narrow stance.

When you get

- one of my legs, I can still play with you.
- both of my legs, I can't.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol. You would be better off just giving me a low kick. The problem with that move is that my hands are able to cover that area with no problem. Where in the picture the guy in the black shirt is punching down (stage 2). I would be able to punch horizontally into your face. I could also redirect your arm as you attempt because my own arms would be closer to my lead foot than your arms. You would literally have to start at (stage 2) in your attempt because stage 1 would not be possible.

ankle-pull.jpg

With a low stance you have to watch out for this stuff
shin-kicking_use1.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really need to save up some money to try to spar with some of you guys

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol. You would be better off just giving me a low kick. The problem with that move is that my hands are able to cover that area with no problem. Where in the picture the guy in the black shirt is punching down (stage 2). I would be able to punch horizontally into your face. I could also redirect your arm as you attempt because my own arms would be closer to my lead foot than your arms. You would literally have to start at (stage 2) in your attempt because stage 1 would not be possible.

ankle-pull.jpg

With a low stance you have to watch out for this stuff
shin-kicking_use1.jpg

You set it up.

Latest Discussions