Can you learn spinning aerial kicks in your 30s?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can do the mechanics of some of the techniques but I can't stay off the ground, so it becomes only a step-in, not an actual lift-off.

Are there any strengthening exercises that makes you leap and kick in the air without being pulled by gravity down to the floor instantly?
To the gravity question, no. Gravity effects everyone largely the same. There are factors like the specific gravity of muscle vs. fat but it is minimal.
Strength and coordination along with genetics play the Big roles. Yes, it is a temporal thing to a large degree. That said, any 30 year old should be able to become proficient at many of the kicks. Can you be more specific with the kicks you have in mind?

Study gymnast drills. That is where KTA and other demo teams learn a lot of what they do. But remember, most have been training since they were young kids.
Water things down and the same will work for the average MAist.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even if I do this for 6 months and improve ny. technique, it probably won't help the coordination of jump+ spin+kick right? ..

I can do a jump spin easily but I can't find the window of opportunity to get the leg out.

The reason I get the leg out here is because I don't jump.

I am unable to see the video. Says it is private.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am unable to see the video. Says it is private.

I was so disgusted by it that I took it down.

Anyway, do you think I should just stick to regular spin kicks at my age? Is there any indirect benefit to learning jump spin aerials that will make me a better martial artist in terms of body coordination?

I kinda feel obliged to learn it just for the sake of it. My basic techniques have gotten A LOT better the last year. Time is not on my side so if I want to be able to do them I better hurry up (I will turn 32).

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Anyway, do you think I should just stick to regular spin kicks at my age? Is there any indirect benefit to learning jump spin aerials that will make me a better martial artist in terms of body coordination?

I kinda feel obliged to learn it just for the sake of it. My basic techniques have gotten A LOT better the last year. Time is not on my side so if I want to be able to do them I better hurry up (I will turn 32).
If you are doing regular spinning side kicks you are not that far away from a jump spin. Maybe not with much setup of post process but the single kick should be doable. If you didn't see my other post look into gymnast drills. A good solid bag and a Lot of reps will also do wonders.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are doing regular spinning side kicks you are not that far away from a jump spin. Maybe not with much setup of post process but the single kick should be doable. If you didn't see my other post look into gymnast drills. A good solid bag and a Lot of reps will also do wonders.

Nah this was about wheel kicks, which I can perform torque wise like any technique but my hips get stuck mid point and doesn't follow the motion to it's conclusion. This is a problem regardless of it it's standning or in the air

This isn't a problem with round and side kicks because it's supposed to stop in order to not be overrotated. But wheel kicks it's supposed to follow the motion through to get all the hip into it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah this was about wheel kicks, which I can perform torque wise like any technique but my hips get stuck mid point and doesn't follow the motion to it's conclusion. This is a problem regardless of it it's standning or in the air

This isn't a problem with round and side kicks because it's supposed to stop in order to not be overrotated. But wheel kicks it's supposed to follow the motion through to get all the hip into it.

One thing we do with people who are struggling with the motion is to have them do the kick without the spin in a stepping/skipping motion. It is very similar to a hook kick in the early hip motion. Styles vary this somewhat.
The latter part of a wheel kick uses more oblique and back muscle. Tight hips make this a hard kick to perform.
So, if you think of an outside crescent kick, it is a circular motion with the toes up and the body in a mostly front kick position. Picture the kicking motion as a circle drawn on the wall.
It you think of a wheel kick (no spin) the leg and body are in a side kick position. The somewhat circular motion would be a circle drawn on the floor.
The most common problem I see is people over rotating their body early in the kick making it hard to both get the leg around and recover to a good position.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One thing we do with people who are struggling with the motion is to have them do the kick without the spin in a stepping/skipping motion. It is very similar to a hook kick in the early hip motion. Styles vary this somewhat.
The latter part of a wheel kick uses more oblique and back muscle. Tight hips make this a hard kick to perform.
So, if you think of an outside crescent kick, it is a circular motion with the toes up and the body in a mostly front kick position. Picture the kicking motion as a circle drawn on the wall.
It you think of a wheel kick (no spin) the leg and body are in a side kick position. The somewhat circular motion would be a circle drawn on the floor.
The most common problem I see is people over rotating their body early in the kick making it hard to both get the leg around and recover to a good position.

Yeah the hook kick is the exact same problem. Do you think this is evidence of a hip dysfunction? There are complete goofballs who can wheel kick properly.

It pains me to say but Brayn Callen has a much better wheel kick than me, and he side kicks like a beginner.

Life is unfair I guess.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

My posture and balance is decent it's just wrong fundamentals with the hips. I tried the instruction given below but it still doesn't open up the hip to twist to the opposite side. I'm not sure why it's so stubborn. It's open for the other kicks - round kick, side kick...

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What kick exactly do you want to do?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah the hook kick is the exact same problem. Do you think this is evidence of a hip dysfunction? There are complete goofballs who can wheel kick properly.

It pains me to say but Brayn Callen has a much better wheel kick than me, and he side kicks like a beginner.

Life is unfair I guess.

I still think for some reason you are just kicking wrong.

You have some preconceptions in your head that the kick has to come out a certain way. And it probably doesn't. And if you went and did it a different way you would have a lot less issues.

Which you can jump on you tube and drill pretty much any aerial kick in its broken down stages.

If that means you have to frog jump up and down the room a thousand times to get enough lift. Then that is what you have to do.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can do the mechanics of some of the techniques but I can't stay off the ground, so it becomes only a step-in, not an actual lift-off.

Are there any strengthening exercises that makes you leap and kick in the air without being pulled by gravity down to the floor instantly?
Keep in mind it's been years since I've done any sort of spinning kicks or jumping kicks, or flying side kicks, or scissor kicks, or what have you..
But when I did the thing that was emphasized to me was plyometrics. You should have foundational strength from plyometrics, and flexibility (which you can gain from class or separately, depending on the classes you attend), which will enable you to complete the techs.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

have you put me on ignotmre ? if so your missing out as im about to kmgive you some more good advice

32 is no sort of age to think you declining rapidly

different sports have very different ages, where it becomes a barrier, with a lot of sports its no so much the,age, as 15 years of " abuse that marks time on your career

soccer players seem to have circa ten years at the top, if they started in the big time at 18, they are over by 28, 22, then 32, etal
boxers seem to be gettibg older, before they hit the big time, ali was a good as finished at 34, now it seem to be when they hit their prime., well heavy weights anyway

in your position where you havent got a great deal of fitness to lose, you can look forward to slow but constant progrsion well into your 40s

the bigest change with average folk, it it takes longer to improve in your 30 and 40s, not that it cant be done

i

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

I dont see why not, its more a you thing than a age thing. I think people in their 50's can do jumping spinning kicks.

I fully understand not wanting to jump or the sort if you havent learnt breakfalls, one bad fall and you are done for life.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My posture and balance is decent it's just wrong fundamentals with the hips. I tried the instruction given below but it still doesn't open up the hip to twist to the opposite side. I'm not sure why it's so stubborn. It's open for the other kicks - round kick, side kick...

What he said at the end is the most valuable part of the whole video. "It is a journey, it is a Long journey". It sounds like you are at the 'knowing' stage. You know what you need to work on so now it is time to go work on it.
It is a good video and I feel his practice is sound. We have stair railing along 2 walls of our dojangs. They are very helpful for stretching.
There are a lot of similarities in some of the stretches/exercises done in dance/ballet, gymnastics, and MA.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Life is unfair I guess.

I cannot speak to whether you have any hip issues. If you are at a level/rank you are happy with pick one technique and work, work, work it.
I think the adversities we all have throughout our MA journey are a big part of what keeps us going for years and decades.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I cannot speak to whether you have any hip issues. If you are at a level/rank you are happy with pick one technique and work, work, work it.
I think the adversities we all have throughout our MA journey are a big part of what keeps us going for years and decades.

It took me close to a year to get the roundhouse kick correct with the hips, and now it's in my muscle memory. So I guess I should give it some time.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is a good video and I feel his practice is sound. .

Isn't your balance affected by pulling in the opposite direction to open the hips or does the body adjust to that eventually?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I dont see why not, its more a you thing than a age thing. I think people in their 50's can do jumping spinning kicks.

I fully understand not wanting to jump or the sort if you havent learnt breakfalls, one bad fall and you are done for life.

A lot of the injuries in Taekwondo are from landing after jumping. That's why I stayed away from them as much as I could.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm 49 and I can still do them. Just not as high and not as often.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm 49 and I can still do them. Just not as high and not as often.

I lost the ability to do jump back kicks after a 2 year lay off. I can do the other stuff

Latest Discussions