jumping spinning hook kick

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm having trouble trying to do this kick. I can do a spinning hook kick no problem but when it comes to this kick I just can't do it. How long did it take u guys to pull this kick off and what exercises can I do to help me execute this kick?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
jump
repeat ad nauseum

jump and spin
repeat ad naseum

then try jumping, spinng, and add a hook kick

visualize yourself going UP

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I practiced jump kicks, the part I had the most difficulty grasping was the takeoff part, i.e. pushing off smoothly on the correct foot with the ball. I tended to flat foot the jump and that took away a lot of the spring so I didn't get the necessary elevation or rotation to finish the kick. Once someone pointed out what I was doing wrong, I corrected the kick in a matter of days.

There's a certain amount of leg strength and coordination necessary to do this kick... Assuming you have those qualities already, what are the problems you're having exactly?

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can you do a jumping spinning back kick?
If so you can pretty easily translate that into a jumping spinning hook kick.
Firstly you need to make sure when you are doing a spinning hook kick you aren't swinging your whole leg around your body in a wide arc, you should be swinging your leg almost directly at your target. Imagine you are throwing your kick in a very narrow corridor.

From a jumping spinning back kick, all you have to do is kick your leg a little off target, and then 'hook' your leg through the target.

Exercises you could do are plyometric exercises focussing on working on either a double leg push off or a pump action push off.
Also making sure you have plenty of flexibility to pull off the kick without anything holding you back, backward leg swings are good for this.

OP
W

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I can do a jumping back kick. The problem with my jump spinning hook kick is when I do it, it looks more like a jumping outside crescent kick. I also don't think I have enough flexibility for it yet. I've been trying to stretch for 15-20mins everyday now so hopefully I can master it in a few weeks to mths.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this was posted before the crash, but I'll repost.

Based on what you're saying....this is not a flexibility issue. If you can do a back kick, you can do a hook kick (with or without a jump). If your hook kick is coming out as a crescent kick, that simply means you are over rotating your torso/shoulders. This is forcing your hips to turn over too much and this makes the toes point up.

A hook kick is executed pretty much like a back kick (Pivot, point butt at target, extend leg....slightly off the line...then hok the leg in a motiion that looks like you're tryign to kick yourself in the butt. Your heel should travel through your target when doen right).

When you do the jump spin hook kick. Jump first, pivot so your butt is aimed at the target, your head needs to come arounf so you can just see the target, but don't over-rotate your torso. Practice that and your kick should work.

Peace,
Erik

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
whoever posted the instructional clips, please repost. the youtube video of the koreans teaching it. that was pretty good.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A hook kick is executed pretty much like a back kick (Pivot, point butt at target, extend leg....slightly off the line...then hok the leg in a motiion that looks like you're tryign to kick yourself in the butt. Your heel should travel through your target when doen right).

I'm going to have to disagree with the kicking yourself in the butt part. The muscles used to pull back your lower leg are never going to be anywhere as strong as the muscles used when kicking out the leg, both the lower and the upper. The kick when taught correctly should be like you kicking your butt, but this shouldn't be part of the kicking action and should instead be part of the return motion after kicking.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough. I tend to use the "kick yourself in the butt" imagery when teaching and the student is having trouble gettign the snap motion at the end of the kick....and this seems to get the desired result of the student executing the motion correctly. YMMV.

Peace,
Erik

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I find that most people will flick out like this and it will seem to get the desired result, but actually lacks power, and it is methods like yours that seem to cause this problem, that's why I was advising him to avoid it to avoid bad habits.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dunno. I've never lacked power with this kick. I use this to avoid the problem of trying ot turn and hook at the same time leading to a big, slow, arcing kick that lacks both speed AND power. Equating it to an off target back kick. Getting that hook motion in there. The only thing needed is a bit of hip twist to add extra speed/snap. Really, this isn't a tradityional pwoer kick (like a back kick or side kick)...it's power comes from speed. It's more like a whip.

Peace,
Erik

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find that most people will flick out like this and it will seem to get the desired result, but actually lacks power, and it is methods like yours that seem to cause this problem, that's why I was advising him to avoid it to avoid bad habits.

USUALLY.... and I say USUALLY... the ones who lack the power and flick it out as you describe, are more focused on the landing, rather than the delivery. If they were to make contact, they would fall down. Sure landing is important, but i focus more on "nailing" the target. If properly done, it doesnt matter if you land or fall because your target will be out.

again, those videos were pretty good... post them again whoever u were.