• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Joe, this isn't what I'd qualify as condescending. Michaeledward simply feels that he and his instructor are even steven. If everyone agreed with eachother, how lame would this board be? I think perhaps your trigger finger is a bit twitchy there.
I may have been a little jumpy but that is the way I read his statement. I believe that everyone is entitled to there oppinion, but it is the way he wrote his oppinion.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I found the premise of the question condescending. As if the Martial Arts instructor should be revered as a Brahmin Priest. In our society, we do not believe in the Caste systems of other cultures. We also do not live in a world where the expert is a patron of the wealthy. We exchange money for goods and services.

My instructor is not Obi Wan Kenobi, who after years of silently watching over me has introduced me to the hidden world of 'The Force'. He is simply teaching me how to Kick, Punch, Block and Chop with two hands and two fee. For this, I pay him money.

Perhaps if you explain why you think an instructor needs to be paid twice, I could offer you an answer that you may like better.

Mike
You think of pay as monetary value, I am thinking of it in a deeper sense. I have always had instructors that have always gone above and beyond (private training for free, being invited to their house, etc..). While I realize that not everyone has had these types of instructors, and not everyone has instructors they feel they need to repay, I have and will never be able to repay the lessons that I have been taught and the road that I have been on.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i chose yes you can repay your instructor...not with money or items...but by doing good at tournaments...having a Respectful Attitide....

i would think that the ultimate reward for an instructor would be when his students become a formitable oppenet even for him...Being on the same or higher level than as your teacher would be a sucsess for any Sensei..

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
i chose yes you can repay your instructor...not with money or items...but by doing good at tournaments...having a Respectful Attitide....

i would think that the ultimate reward for an instructor would be when his students become a formitable oppenet even for him...Being on the same or higher level than as your teacher would be a sucsess for any Sensei..
Yes but do you think that you will ever feel like you have repayed them

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets look at another senario for instance....

Your mother...Rasied you, your entire life....she watches you grow up and she takes care of you...nurtures you...protects you...teaches you.....you then graduated from Collage.....that she herself paid for with her wage from the local diner........How do you think she will feel when you recive that diploma..............PROUD and HONORED....She can say she rasised you right and she knows you will be ok in life.

That is how I think your instructors are repaid.....by your accomplishments...if you came to your Sensei as Raw potential...not having any sort of training in your entire life and one day you win a tournament......How do you think your Sensei will feel when you recive that Trophy.....Proud.. :asian:

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
Lets look at another senario for instance....

Your mother...Rasied you, your entire life....she watches you grow up and she takes care of you...nurtures you...protects you...teaches you.....you then graduated from Collage.....that she herself paid for with her wage from the local diner........How do you think she will feel when you recive that diploma..............PROUD and HONORED....She can say she rasised you right and she knows you will be ok in life.

That is how I think your instructors are repaid.....by your accomplishments...if you came to your Sensei as Raw potential...not having any sort of training in your entire life and one day you win a tournament......How do you think your Sensei will feel when you recive that Trophy.....Proud.. :asian:
A very good way of looking at it, but what about those of us that do not do tournaments.:)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can I ever repay my Instructor for teaching me?

Well I don't know. Can I repay my parents for their guidance, discipline, and turning me into who I am? I don't think so.

If I had an adult child who wrote me a check for all the money I spent on him over the years and called us even, I'd keep the check and tell him to get out of my house.:)
Recently, I went to my Instructor's house to pick up some stuff I had left there. The four hour conversation we had about Tae Kwon Do and life meant more to me than any money I've spent on Tae Kwon Do. I really feel sorry for people who equate martial arts practice with just learning how to punch, kick, and block. They don't know what they're missing.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Can I ever repay my Instructor for teaching me?

Well I don't know. Can I repay my parents for their guidance, discipline, and turning me into who I am? I don't think so.

If I had an adult child who wrote me a check for all the money I spent on him over the years and called us even, I'd keep the check and tell him to get out of my house.:)
Recently, I went to my Instructor's house to pick up some stuff I had left there. The four hour conversation we had about Tae Kwon Do and life meant more to me than any money I've spent on Tae Kwon Do. I really feel sorry for people who equate martial arts practice with just learning how to punch, kick, and block. They don't know what they're missing.
I agree totally.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
Yes but do you think that you will ever feel like you have repayed them

As I see it, this is about like asking "When do you feel that you are fully satisfied with your training and knowledge?" The correct answer depends on the individual.

Conry non-answer, but it fits.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As an instructor myself, all I could ever ask for would be a little thanks and a little respect, both of which are easy to give (though oftentimes harder to give sincerely...). So yes, I think you can.

Ian.

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
You think of pay as monetary value, I am thinking of it in a deeper sense. I have always had instructors that have always gone above and beyond (private training for free, being invited to their house, etc..). While I realize that not everyone has had these types of instructors, and not everyone has instructors they feel they need to repay, I have and will never be able to repay the lessons that I have been taught and the road that I have been on.
Amen to that,
I find it very sad for those individuals who dont have instructors like this, or just don't realize that they do.
I have been very fortunate to have such a great instructor, He has taught me a lot more than just how to kick and punch. I really couldn't say, or dont really even want to think about were I would be if it were not for MA's training and my instructors care for me.
I have been through some very trubling times in my early teens, and if it were not for MA and instructor I probably wouldn't have been able to pull through.
And I think that I wouldn't be the person that I am today if it were not for that, thats why I say I could never be able to repay my instructor.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

I feel I have paid up front with the monthly and testing fees to the dojang. I don't get the impression that he expects anything more than respect and effort beyond that.

Before attending his school I asked a TKD black belt I work with to help me. I was getting nowhere in Soo Bahk Do but really had an interest in MA. I needed to leave the SBD school before I started hating the instructor, he had already lost my respect.

I learned more from the black belt in two sessions than I did in four months at SBD. He has never accepted money but I have helped him in other ways. I arranged for use of a building. He never fails to thank me after a class. I don't think I can ever repay him, but he feels the same way!

He hadn't been working out for a few years. I guess I was the catalyst for him to get back into it. We joined a local school and last weekend he tested for second Dan. I see how much that means to him and it makes me happy even though I didn't really do anything but ask for help.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:
Amen to that,
I find it very sad for those individuals who dont have instructors like this, or just don't realize that they do.
I have been very fortunate to have such a great instructor, He has taught me a lot more than just how to kick and punch. I really couldn't say, or dont really even want to think about were I would be if it were not for MA's training and my instructors care for me.
I have been through some very trubling times in my early teens, and if it were not for MA and instructor I probably wouldn't have been able to pull through.
And I think that I wouldn't be the person that I am today if it were not for that, thats why I say I could never be able to repay my instructor.

- Hwoarang_tkd26
same here:asian:

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
Of course I pay for my montly fees and all that stuff. However, the things my instructor has taught me, morally, I could never even attempt to give him the advice he's given me, I couldn't never live up to him. He has taught me many things, and has helped me in many hard times, and I will never take it for granted.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kamaria Annina said:
Of course I pay for my montly fees and all that stuff. However, the things my instructor has taught me, morally, I could never even attempt to give him the advice he's given me, I couldn't never live up to him. He has taught me many things, and has helped me in many hard times, and I will never take it for granted.
short but sweet :asian:

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
satans.barber said:
As an instructor myself, all I could ever ask for would be a little thanks and a little respect, both of which are easy to give (though oftentimes harder to give sincerely...). So yes, I think you can.

Ian.
As an instructor I feel the same way as you as a student I do not

T

ThatWasAKick

This is a very interesting question. I voted no.

He's become my closest friend. So in that respect we have both been enriched beyond anything either of us expected. We make a good team, and there are no scales to be weighed.

But looking past our personal relationship I have to say there is definately a respect and thankfulness I have for/to him strictly as my sensei.

There is also a strong, unexplainable bond between five of us who have trained together under him. Maybe it's all that holding push-up position together...<smile>

kempojack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think we all repay our instructors without even knowing it. As They go through the process of teaching us our instructors are making mistakes after all they are only human. But by making these mistakes they are learning from them and going on and finding better ways to relay the information to us and the students who come after us. Through this process they are becoming better instuctors and we better students. I think we both benefit from this process we are both constantly learning from each other.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
For his time?
He was compensated. $$$

For his care, attention to detail, knowledge, wisdom, guidance, leadership and his many many lessons on the Way?
No, never.
But when I teach, I'll still TRY to pay him back through my standards and by giving as I received...and then some.

Your Brother
John

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kempojack said:
I think we all repay our instructors without even knowing it. As They go through the process of teaching us our instructors are making mistakes after all they are only human. But by making these mistakes they are learning from them and going on and finding better ways to relay the information to us and the students who come after us. Through this process they are becoming better instuctors and we better students. I think we both benefit from this process we are both constantly learning from each other.
Very well said, I agree with you whole-heartedly.

- Ceicei