school and Instructors

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it about your school that makes you want to be there, your instructor, the teaching or just the whole package.

For me it was about the instructor, they gave us all so much, more than we or I could ever repay.

The greatest thing about all of my past schools is they all had the best instructor at that point and time in my life. I mean if not for all of them my life would not be what it is today.

The whole package simply came after I personally found out that I wanted it more than anybody else. Remember life is what we make of it and the people behind us always make us a better person.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, it's the whole package. My instructor(s) are patient, nice, and yet strict. Also, the classes aren't always the same old thing each and every time. Sure, we still go over the usual required stuff, but we also get something a little different at times. Finally, the over all atmosphere. Everyone tries to help with questions, says hi, etc. The last one isn't a real biggie, but it helps making one feel more comfortable.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The whole package because, for me at least, it IS the whole package. It's much more than just learning how to take care of myself.

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
It really seems like the best martial arts instructors were the ones who were interested in martial arts and not just doing it as a business.

Since around 1990 or so it seems like most MA instructors are doing it as a business and as a result the training really goes downhill as does the personal instruction. They have a lot more people with a lot less experience doing training, and the training really suffers.

I'd list examples, for example numerous chain schools, but that would just put off a lot of people that go to these schools. Honestly I don't think I've run across very good instructors for quite some time now.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Chito-ryu it was because they were turning out some very good fighters and some great MAists. The instructor was great and so were the students.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was ALWAYS the Instructor...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was ALWAYS the Instructor...

What Drac said, exactly. The instructor shapes the training environment to almost every last detail, consciously and unconsciously. My instructor is a MAist of such consummate skill and such shining integrity that anywhere he chose to teach, even a rubbish-strewn back alley, would become the finest dojang in the world for all the time the class was in session...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your Instructor sounds like the kind of person I like to learn from and hopefully if God allows it the kind of Instructor I want to be...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your Instructor sounds like the kind of person I like to learn from and hopefully if God allows it the kind of Instructor I want to be...

Drac, I have to say, that's how I picture you—I mean it. I'll bet you're damned good as an MAist, and I'd bet still more that you're 100% `there', and seriously devoted to the training of anyone you're trying to teach. I strongly suspect you needn't have any questions about yourself on that score.

I just know these things! :) :angel: :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words..Father Greek is always telling me that too...I am my own worse critic...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words..Father Greek is always telling me that too...I am my own worse critic...

But Drac, that's the true sign of a stand-up guy/gal. The best people I know, the bravest, kindest, most forward-thinking people, are all their own worst critics. And the people out there whose cynicism and manipulativeness can make the world such a creepy-looking place sometimes... those people don't have the slightest doubt that they are the best thing since sliced bread. I used to wonder why things had to be that way, and after a while I decided that t'was ever that way, and there's no explanation that I'm ever going to discover...

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's definitily my instructor, I train in two different environments with two different groups of people, and the instructor is the only constant. I enjoy each class just as much. He is also one of them instructors who can make anything into a great training hall. There's no need for pictures and displays when he's teaching, we all know what we are there for.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is it about your school that makes you want to be there, your instructor, the teaching or just the whole package.

For me it was about the instructor, they gave us all so much, more than we or I could ever repay.

The greatest thing about all of my past schools is they all had the best instructor at that point and time in my life. I mean if not for all of them my life would not be what it is today.

The whole package simply came after I personally found out that I wanted it more than anybody else. Remember life is what we make of it and the people behind us always make us a better person.

For me its the whole package. :) This is not to discredit any of my past instructors, as I give credit where its due, and each of them has alot to offer in their own way, and each has given me different things that I carry with me in my training today.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me its the whole package. :) This is not to discredit any of my past instructors, as I give credit where its due, and each of them has alot to offer in their own way, and each has given me different things that I carry with me in my training today.

Agree. My initial thought was "Instructor!", but the more I came back to the thread and pondered the answer I have to agree it is the whole package. I have seen some great Instructors, but they were lacking some polish in the skills department and I personally wouldn't train with them. I have also seen some very effective schools, but with a knob as an Instructor. For me it has to be the whole package. My Instructor is a fantastic teacher AND it is an art that fits me great with some skills I really want. Same instructor teaching "Buk Nood" where at the first sign of confrontation you drop all your clothes because nobody wants to fight a naked guy - I would run far, far away.

We discussed this very topic this week-end on the long ride home from the seminar, and this was the feeling of everybody in the vehicle as well.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say the atmosphere of the school which was perpetuated by the instructor.

Latest Discussions