Can you ever repay your instructor/instructors

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Studying Martial Arts is a commercial transaction for Pete's Sake!
Mike
Maybe for you, but not for everyone. Certainly not for me. I've been down that road and I find that quality is always put aside somewhere down the line.

My teacher doesn't make his living by teaching Kenpo. He runs a small non-commercial school and the tiny profit he makes(if any some months) goes to bringing Mr. Pick out for seminars. This way he gets to choose who he teaches and never has to compromise his beliefs or the material taught to pay the bills. Not only is he my teacher but also a good friend. I am constantly invited to his house and know his family well. Hell, some of my best lessons have been in his blacksmith shop, backyard, and driveway. He has gone out of his way to help me out and is only a phone call away should I ever need anything. I realize teachers like this are few and far between and that's why I make the 1.5 hr. drive to NH every week to train.

But to answer the original question, I repay my teacher by being the best student I can be. I repay him by always representing him, the school, the UKF, and Kenpo to the absolute best of my ability...always conducting myself with honor and dignity. And I will continue to repay him by never compromising and teaching Kenpo in the same way he teaches me.

-Tom

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In truth I have not read all the responses yet. I feel that you repay your instructor by being the best you can be and by training your students to a standard that makes your instructor smile with pride when he sees them

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
In truth I have not read all the responses yet. I feel that you repay your instructor by being the best you can be and by training your students to a standard that makes your instructor smile with pride when he sees them
these are the type of threads that I like where everything is kept on subject and we get to have intelligent conversations:)

J

jakmak52

ppko said:
Can you ever repay your instructor for what they have taught you. My vote is no, reason being that they are the ones that have shown you the path, if not for them them you may have never taken it.
I believe I can repay my masters(s) not in a monetary way, but by honoring and practicing the art that was taught to me.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
jakmak52 said:
I believe I can repay my masters(s) not in a monetary way, but by honoring and practicing the art that was taught to me.

Agreed......if your sensei is a true matrial artist he wouldn't worry about the money in the art, just respect the art and do what you can for the school :asian:

Kunoichi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As long as we act respectfully and nurture the less experienced students with the same time, care and attention we have recieved then we will be repaying the instructor with what he/she wants (unless they're all about the $$$)

B

blackbeltedbeauty

You pay your instructor in money, but is that really "repaying" him? I could never repay my instructor. Without him, I would have never known martial arts. He urged me to work at my strength, kicking, and helped me learn something priceless to me. I would not be were I am today if it weren't for his guidance. :rolleyes:

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, tough one. I'd say that you should never stop trying to repay your instructor.

Honor their name and what they have taught you. Show them respect and then pass on your knowledge. Then your students will try to repay you and then your teacher will be honored. If you work as hard as you can and show a drive to learn what your teacher gives you then I think that (s)he will be honored. As an instructor, you probably think that your students can repay you by learning from you, but as a student, maybe you shouldn't ever consider it repaid even though your instructor might think that you have repaid him/her.

Kind of like parents in a way. You can never repay your parents, but when you have kids, your are already repaid tenfold on the day of their birth. KnowhatImean?

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
Wow, tough one. I'd say that you should never stop trying to repay your instructor.

Honor their name and what they have taught you. Show them respect and then pass on your knowledge. Then your students will try to repay you and then your teacher will be honored. If you work as hard as you can and show a drive to learn what your teacher gives you then I think that (s)he will be honored. As an instructor, you probably think that your students can repay you by learning from you, but as a student, maybe you shouldn't ever consider it repaid even though your instructor might think that you have repaid him/her.

Kind of like parents in a way. You can never repay your parents, but when you have kids, your are already repaid tenfold on the day of their birth. KnowhatImean?
great post I agree 110% (oh wait that is over 100% how can this be possible)

G

Galvatron

Ceicei said:
Essentially, the basic expectations of the arrangement is I pay him $$ to teach me, and then he teaches me to the best of his knowledge.

Now, if he has done an excellent job of teaching, then I "repay" him beyond the monetary value by being there, training hard, and becoming the best martial artist I can be. We make it worth each other's time and commitment. I don't owe him any more than that--I put in what I get. Neither does he owe me more than that--he puts in what he gets.

- Ceicei

P.S. Now, suppose if he decides to train me to the point when he invites me to teach in his dojo, then I've already more than repaid him by passing on what he taught me to the students that he entrusts under me.

What you said.

:)

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally my instructor dosn't care about the money. Its just that he has us pay for it so that we will appresiate it more

P

pakua

Seems to be 2 points of view here....

You pay him or her for knowledge as advertised just like you pay the dentist to fix your teeth, so you're quits

or

You gain more than just the advertised knowledge, picking up some intangibles along the way like maybe wisdom, humility, patience etc and you can't pay for that.

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My current instructor walks a path of sincerity, strength and best moral intention and action, and to walk it myself knowing though I may rarely see a co-traveller on the same route, there are others walking the same , is a priceless and irreplaceable gift! ;)

cheers

BL

5 hand swords

ppko said:
Can you ever repay your instructor for what they have taught you. My vote is no, reason being that they are the ones that have shown you the path, if not for them them you may have never taken it.
WTH?
I paid (well my Dad did) as I took classes fool!
MA not the only ART
I owe as much to many other teachers as well as MA teachers.
IF U LEARN, U ARE TEACHERS PAYMENT!

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
no, if you improve or learn something, you are your teachers payment. ( btw : trust me, I am a teacher .....errrm , was a teacher....)
I agree that as a teacher you feel like you can be repayed but as a student can you feel like you haave repayed them.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you best in everything you do and that is more than enough payment for a true sensei

5 hand swords

Blooming Lotus said:
no, if you improve or learn something, you are your teachers payment. ( btw : trust me, I am a teacher .....errrm , was a teacher....)
Think thats what I said, but my english teacher will not be repaid in online posts.
My Mom was a Public schoolteacher. My Wife is a Public Schoolteacher.
I am always a student.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Can we ever repay our instructor or instructors? My answer is a BIG YES! We can do this, by doing what they want us to become. A good person, kind and gentle. A loving person. A generous person,not only in money,but giving back and helping others. To be the best you can be!

As an assistant Instructor (None-payment of any kind). I wish only to set the right examples and that they listen and learn. We try to teach the whole person and hope they do become a good person. At the same time learn our self-defense, which can be brutal. Note: not the kids classes.

The best part is when they do become a good student of learning and practice all the stuffs you share with them and they use it( Being a good person)! Wow for me. Doesn't become a bully,don't fight, help others and grows up to be a mature person. The right person in life. This is our reward for being a Instructor!....Aloha

I guess I vote YES! in this case......Aloha