Can you ever repay your instructor

Can you ever repay your instructor/instructors

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

5 hand swords

ppko said:
I may have been a little jumpy but that is the way I read his statement. I believe that everyone is entitled to there oppinion, but it is the way he wrote his oppinion.
And That Folk's

(as my Grandpappy use to say)

Is What Makes Horse Raceing.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can never repay my instructor. It is in part because of him that I have become the man I am today. Each day I wake up to is another day I owe him and my mother, therefore I feel I owe it to them to alway do my best, give to others what they have given me, and always act in such a manner that will make them proud. I owe it to them because they gave me the tools I needed to succeed in life.

On the flip side, he (and my mother) doesn't feel that I owe him anything. I know that when my students fail, whither it is a testing, tournament, or something in life, I feel like part of me has failed them. When they succeed I feel great joy for them.

It's funny. A lot of us feel like we can never truely repay what we have been given, but those that have taught us know that they never need to be repayed.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here I am, resurecting an old thread, but I only just found it...

My 2 øre (Danish equivalent of cent):
Financially, I could never repay my instructor, since he teaches for free.
Morally, I could definately never repay him, not only is he my teacher, he is my friend, my confidânt, my drinking buddy, the list goes on.
Would I like to be able to repay him? Of course, and I try in any way I can to help him, but I think I can speak for him with a clear conscience saying that he does not expect anything from me (and the rest of his students) other than dedication to the martial arts, and being the best we can be.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
THough I also have to thank my parents for a good upbrining, I also could never repay my instructor. In fact I'd like to think that my instructor had a lot to do with who I am today. When I was younger and began my training a lot of my friends would just hang around somewhere, Kenpo was really the first thing I had to work hard at in order to achieve a bb. Sure I could have hung out at the local mall with my friends, but I would definately not be who I am today. You go in everyday you work hard, you sweat, and sometimes the bb seemed impossible, but it was attainable, if I can do it, any of you can. A lot of the time you spend in practicing in your studio, dojo, dojang, ect is also time that you spend growing hopefully into a positive light for society, and most of this is due to a good instructor. Though, I do consider myself one of the lucky ones, for many reasons, I never really lacked anything in life, today as I am much older, I often wonder how many kids that are involved in martial arts, are being brought up solely on their instructor's teachings. That is that the instructor with that 1hr 1.5hrs ect has more influence on them than their own parents. Its funny really when you think about it, I know a lot of people who disagree with me on that, but there are kids out there that are completely neglected by their parents, albeit due to jobs, or sadly in some cases due to utter stupidity like watching a sitcom on TV, and the only positive teachings and experiences are taught at their place of practice.

BigCat63

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes. I feel you repay your Instructor by taking the knowledge, dedication and values you develop in training and use them to become a better person.... and the thousands of my dollars I have forked over are nothing to sneeze at either.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A true Sensei only requires effort from his students in everything they do, that in its self is payment enough

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As an instructor I can say "Yes..You can deffenetly repay your instructor."

Instructors are repaid

Everytime you advance, Because they enjoy watching you grow.
Everytime you show them the respect they have earned,
Everytime you return to gain more knowledge.
Everytime you speek of them to someone and tell the people how much you enjoy what you are doing.
Everytime you smile because they have made you understand something new.

This list could go on but I think you get the idea... A good Instructor in only as good as his students. We get repaid by you every class.
With the 3 A's
Attitude, Attendance & Ability

D

dscott

I agree with Bruce. You can't/shouldn't repay your instructor monetarily. I feel that if you try your hardest, improve, listen, be respectful....than you have already repaid your instructor for their hard work.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most are paid on a monthly basis.....

Latest Discussions