Can you ever repay your instructor

Can you ever repay your instructor/instructors

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you ever repay your instructor for what they have taught you. My vote is no, reason being that they are the ones that have shown you the path, if not for them them you may have never taken it.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is a good one. I think in your mind you'll never be able to repay your instructor, but in his or her mind you will or already have.

My instructor is Mr. Dye and he has done a ton of things for me in and out of the MA. I will always be there to pick him up at an airport , even when he's actually flying out to someones elses school.Make sure he needs for nothing when he's out mand about. Support him anyway I can.

Then at some point I'll hear him say to someone about how good I am to him.
I feel he has done for me more than I could ever do for him.

But what your saying it's a tough one.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
D_Brady said:
That is a good one. I think in your mind you'll never be able to repay your instructor, but in his or her mind you will or already have.

My instructor is Mr. Dye and he has done a ton of things for me in and out of the MA. I will always be there to pick him up at an airport , even when he's actually flying out to someones elses school.Make sure he needs for nothing when he's out mand about. Support him anyway I can.

Then at some point I'll hear him say to someone about how good I am to him.
I feel he has done for me more than I could ever do for him.

But what your saying it's a tough one.
I couldn't agree more I do believe that most instructors feel like we have already repayed them but I don't think I ever can.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a instructor I feel every student that holds up the code of conduct of MA and provide good moral and community involvement and gives back to the community as a whole by donating time to worthwhile events has repayed me for if was not for them I would not exsist...GOD BLESS AMERICA

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know why I would need to 'repay' him. I paid him once already.

Studying Martial Arts is a commercial transaction for Pete's Sake! I give him money, he gives me some knowledge I didn't have before.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pay it forward sort of thing. Take the good that you learned and pass it on. Take the 'bad' that you learned and pass on the 'lessons learned' from those as well.

Teachers either 'teach' by being a cautionary tale or a role model. Real people, flawed and imperfect will be both in one person depending on the time and lesson.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Essentially, the basic expectations of the arrangement is I pay him $$ to teach me, and then he teaches me to the best of his knowledge.

Now, if he has done an excellent job of teaching, then I "repay" him beyond the monetary value by being there, training hard, and becoming the best martial artist I can be. We make it worth each other's time and commitment. I don't owe him any more than that--I put in what I get. Neither does he owe me more than that--he puts in what he gets.

- Ceicei

P.S. Now, suppose if he decides to train me to the point when he invites me to teach in his dojo, then I've already more than repaid him by passing on what he taught me to the students that he entrusts under me.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I paid my instructor over twice, once with money and more than that with service. And now even though its not the type of class I wanted to teach, women, I m teaching again and enjoying it. No, the scales are unbalanced on that one. TW

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think you can repay your instructor by being true to what he has tried to teach you through out the years. one of the true signs of a leader is that he replicates himself/herself in you. so if you represent him well than i think you repay him that way.

peace

K

KenpoNoChikara

michaeledward said:

Studying Martial Arts is a commercial transaction for Pete's Sake! I give him money, he gives me some knowledge I didn't have before.

Mike
There's a good answer, Mike

S

SMP

For me the monetary transaction is nothing compared to the knowledge. But through discussions with my Sifu it is apparent that he also benefits through the teaching. It is a symbiotic relationship.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
SMP said:
For me the monetary transaction is nothing compared to the knowledge. But through discussions with my Sifu it is apparent that he also benefits through the teaching. It is a symbiotic relationship.
I agree with you. That's how instructors improve through teaching different students and learning how best to teach in various ways.

- Ceicei

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my fourteen years of studying American Kenpo I have never paid $ for a lesson. I have done stuff like when I purchase ($) practice knives pick up a couple of extra for him. I help him conduct transactions for school shirts and I have even installed an Air conditioner for him. However even If I did pay ($) him I could never repay him for the ability to defend myself, my family and my country. So given that maybe all everyone should turn to all of our instructors (Kenpo, School Teachers and Parents) and say Thank You.

V/R
Rick English

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I go to the gym and pay a fee there to use the equipment - I get what I pay for

I pay to learn MA but get far more out of it than how to apply the techniques. Some Instructors may be in business just to earn the dollar others are not.

Do the Instructors expect to be repaid - I doubt it, do we have to repay them - No. Do I want to - Dammed right I do.

We repay them by passing on what we have learned to others and Instructing ( in my case they cut my fees in half because of this, I didnt ask for it or expect it) and by growing ourselves and showing that we have listened and learned through the years. Seeing the proud look on my Instructors faces when I recieved my last belt meant more to me than the belt itself.

G

Gary Crawford

I can agree with both sides of this.Yes,if you paid your fees and they taught you proficiently,then you have paid them.In my case,my original instructors went way beyond what they were paid for.They trained ME from the time I was eight to fourteen and I was a handfull!Nobody else would have kept me around with all my adolescent problems.They really cared,sometimes it was tough love,but they really made a lasting impact on me.I am extremely lucky to have started with them.For that,I can only repay them by not becoming what they taught me not to become.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are a few ways in my mind but, the best way to repay your instructor is to continue training, further the art, and always respect.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

Mike
Why do you come across so condescending, it was just a question if you don't want to answer it than don't, or at least answer it with some respect!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ppko said:
Why do you come across so condescending, it was just a question if you don't want to answer it than don't, or at least answer it with some respect!
Joe, this isn't what I'd qualify as condescending. Michaeledward simply feels that he and his instructor are even steven. If everyone agreed with eachother, how lame would this board be? I think perhaps your trigger finger is a bit twitchy there.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ppko said:
I found the premise of the question condescending. As if the Martial Arts instructor should be revered as a Brahmin Priest. In our society, we do not believe in the Caste systems of other cultures. We also do not live in a world where the expert is a patron of the wealthy. We exchange money for goods and services.

My instructor is not Obi Wan Kenobi, who after years of silently watching over me has introduced me to the hidden world of 'The Force'. He is simply teaching me how to Kick, Punch, Block and Chop with two hands and two fee. For this, I pay him money.

Perhaps if you explain why you think an instructor needs to be paid twice, I could offer you an answer that you may like better.

Mike

Latest Discussions