Can Martial Arts be Beautiful?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed, I remember the first time I read that and thought "Really?" It makes much more sense now, however. I think aesthetics is something that people in martial arts often over look, and not just in the area of physical techniques. I think an appreciation of beauty is (potentially) inherent to martial arts practice. A certain decorum is a manifestation of beauty in one's every day action, for example, and in Taekwon-Do etiquette is a big part of training. It shouldn't be forced or affected but rather develop over time as a natural result of training.

I think that it varies depending on the person. All too often I've seen people perform patterns and sacrifice power for what they think is a concentration on the physical form or appearance of the technique. But that can really result in a facade more than actual beauty. Since techniques are physical movements through space and time I think that their aesthetical aspect includes not only how it looks at the end, when its execution is complete, but the movement as a whole and that includes the generation of power with the body. It's why when people pose out kicks or otherwise alter techniques in order to "look nice" they miss the point. People often critique such kicks as being impractical because you're balancing on one leg for a long time, but it goes deeper than that, IMO. When performed correctly (with power, speed, balance/grace, effortless motion, and a proper retraction - which really is an emphasis that gets overlooked, etc.) then you have a great example of beauty.

Conversley, when people concentrate simply on hitting an opponent as hard as they can without focusing on the proper form they can often do things like fall down after the kick lands. Sure, you may've scored a point, but what good is it? By sacrificing the form (aesthetic ideal) so much you've made the generation of power nearly meaningless since you're now in a very bad position.

Absolutely! It's perhaps paradoxical that aesthetics and power are related, but I think not contradictory. I think a good example of the expression of power through beauty can be seen in this video of Joel Denis performing the pattern Moon-Moo:

Part of the reason he generates good power is because he's very technically correct. I've seen people do slower slow motion kicks, higher jumps, etc. but very few who have patterns as beautiful as this. It's stylized combat. The decorum or imperterbility that people should exhibit while performing patterns should eventually make its way into their fighting. It's an expression of indomitable spirit while not losing one's courtesy, I think. There's an inherent attractiveness in such behavior, I think, and that is, of course, an effect of beauty. As Thomas Aquinas says, something isn't beautiful because you love it, you love something because it's beautiful.

I think you are definnitely on to spomething. Perhaps one doesn't need to specifically think about developing beauty, if they concentrate on perfecting the techniques themselves which would include power development, but I don't think it would necessarily hurt. The danger is, as I said before, when you conceptualize beauty as being merely a surface appearance. If that happens you tend to not even get that. It's when you go for the deeper meaning that you get what you're after in the first place.

Pax,

Chris

This is a super post, thank you again Chris for making all these points so cogently, I am very happy to read what you have written. That clip is an excellent example also, thank you :) I think you have it as I see it myself that the generation of power is exactly because of that technical excellence. I think kata / patterns are often perceived as worthless against the rigours of MA in the real world. I have always argued that patterns are a demonstration of technical ability - to paraphrase, they are an example of beautiful practice in that MA. I think the essence of a pattern is to encourage this beautiful practice not for the sakae of it and but instead to endow the practitioner with the ultimate effective technique. It is something beautiful to watch in grading and but when flowing and fluid in randori practice, kata and pattern work can be spun into a piece of fightwork that is truly stunning. That is my opinion :) Have to give you ample kudos for having the nous to summon a quote from Thomas Aquinas! You have a knowledge to know these things :) Thank you again for your conversation, I am grateful indeed to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There can be beauty to the Martial Arts. The importance is having fluidity in forms in order to evade attacks and counter attack with very little effort.
Thank you. And can you say is beauty necessary to achieve flow? is it important and but not necessary to achieve that flow? or is beauty not at all necessary and fluidity can be achieved without any reference to beautiful practice?

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. And can you say is beauty necessary to achieve flow? is it important and but not necessary to achieve that flow? or is beauty not at all necessary and fluidity can be achieved without any reference to beautiful practice?

Well, it all depends on what the templates of the kata does to neutralize the acts of physical violence. Others may think that there is beauty in the kata because the deadly techniques are hidden, or beauty and flash is in the kata for competition purposes. When performing a traditional kata in tournaments, I put a little bit of flash in the kata, but try not to overdo it. But at the end it all depends on knowing why this movement is done that way.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to add a bit to what I was saying before, I think that perhaps Gen. Choi's training as a calligrapher was influential on his comments about the relationship between Taekwon-Do and aesthetics. I have seen originals of his calligraphy and own a couple of prints of his work and his ability was excellent. One of the ideas in the east about calligraphy is that a person's calligraphy reveals his personality in a profound manner. His strengths, talents, flaws and weaknesses are all revealed by the use of the brush. Additionally, calligraphy requires a total commitment. Once you put the brush to the paper you have to complete the character, there is no stopping or correcting. Despite the need to follow the structure of the words and conform to their structure amazing creativity can also be exhibited by the skilled calligrapher; he exhibits beauty through the forms of the characters.

Similar to calligraphy, Gen. Choi's Taekwon-Do emphasizes not stopping once a movement has been started (this full commitment is important in generating power, as well as for giving Taekwon-Do its characteristic aesthetic appearance). Extraneous movement must be avoided as you conform your movements to the technique's pattern. But doing this in no way diminishes the ability to exhibit true virtuosity. As well, there are several patterns whose diagrams are based on different Hanja (the Chinese characters used in Korean writing; diagrams that follow the characters for King, Scholar, and Mountain can all be found in ITF patterns). Certain techniques are actually named after Hangul (the native Korean script developed by King Se-Jong; the "L-Stance," for example is really Niunja Sogi named after the niun character). It would be hard to argue that Gen. Choi's training as a calligrapher didn't at least influence these things. They all work together to give Taekwon-Do its characteristic beauty.

Pax,

Chris

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can I ask, do you think beauty and functionality are mutually exclusive concepts in MA?
There is a virtue in simplicity. Someone who is expert in their discipline will make it look simple. As a result, one will perceive the beauty of the technique because it is done with such simplicity. It's like watching a White Belt and a Black Belt throw a side kick. One struggles, the other has balance, timing, focus, power, etc., from years of training. One has potential beauty, the other has actual beauty.

My $0.02 worth....

Reaction score
Beautiful is a very subjective concept, look for example the art I practice, Taijiquan(Tai chi chuan) and Baguazhang, both have very circular and gentle moves, are probably the more beautiful martial arts( don't confound beautiful with spectacular, showy moves), but in my opinion have a lot to prove their effectiveness, due to bad demonstrations and lack of real fighting demonstrations and fighting against others martial arts. Martial arts can be used for various purposes, look for example the medicial (气功qigong) uses of tai chi chuan, they can be also philosophies as the ying yang of internal Chinese martial arts, and the change from "jutsu" (simply skill) to "do" 道(way, philosophy) of the Japanese martial arts; then we can have martial arts only for the purpose of being beautiful, only to be effective, a balance of the two, or perhaps be beautiful and effective.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and the change from "jutsu" (simply skill) to "do" 道(way, philosophy) of the Japanese martial arts; then we can have martial arts only for the purpose of being beautiful, only to be effective, a balance of the two, or perhaps be beautiful and effective.
There are MA deaigned only for the purpose of being beautiful? Which arts are these do you think?

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
MA is beautiful. Watching practitioners of Bagua for example. They way they move is incredible. Or even in my style, watching my friend who is a 3rd degree perform some of his earlier forms, its simply amazing. the fluidity is outstanding.

one of the things i find "beautiful" about the MA's is that its amazing to watch, especially when it is someone that has a lot of skill, but also because of how deadly and destructive it could be. Its like a tiger. they are beautiful and majestic animals but they are also 800lbs of pure power.

B

Very well said!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched a video where a tiger jumped out of the grass to kill these people sitting on top of the elephant. The elephant was having none of it; so, the people lived. It was beautiful to watch, but nobody was thinking that at the time. :)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely I think that all martial arts are beautiful. From forms to even sparring there is an inherent beauty to it all.

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
I really can't explain (or maybe justify) this statement, but it helps sometimes. Beauty has no opposite. Things are beautiful and, not beautiful but.
Some arts look nicer than others, some don't look like anything, but they're terribly effective. Even seeing someone just starting out struggle and sweat and fight through the first steps when they are moving without grace or elegance, but they're doing it. That's what it's all about.
I know that's probably not at all what you had in mind.
Thanks for posting this.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice to see this thread alive once again.
Certainly there is a beauty to be found in the martial arts. It can be found in some of the graceful movements of some and in the deadly movements of others. It can be found in the philosophy and thoughts of some of the founders and in the innocent questions of the youngest practitioners.

and then there was this young lady http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/54...g/114273-most-beautiful-tai-chi-champion.html

Last edited:

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice to see this thread alive once again.
Certainly there is a beauty to be found in the martial arts. It can be found in some of the graceful movements of some and in the deadly movements of others. It can be found in the philosophy and thoughts of some of the founders and in the innocent questions of the youngest practitioners.

and then there was this young lady http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/54...g/114273-most-beautiful-tai-chi-champion.html

Ah, Ma Chang. Beautiful in every way, even in the irony and poignancy of her passing...

The Japanese have a very good way of expressing the quality of beauty in all things grand or tragic, simple and transient. Can't remember ther term though.

cloud dancing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There was one day watching master Li do the form.I started crying.he was so empty but beautiful.I tried to hide my tears and keep it inside.wish I had let him see how affected I was by just watching him go through moves he'd done countless hundedred thousand times.What is the sense of having feelings if one seeks to keep them hidden.so many times seeing lovelines and hiding my feelings he moved perfectly but inside was so totally empty. Light shines darkness leaves.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a beauty in watching a person learn. There is a beauty in learning.
What may be the most beautiful thing in the arts is that of a person learning more about whom they are and maybe even finding more about their place in the universe. Meditation in the arts brings about a beauty within the mind. This can also be seen in forms for they can be a sort of meditation in and of their own.
The development of a person from one mind set to another is a thing of beauty.
Beauty in the arts comes not just from the physical but also from within

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I find a certain grace in how most, if not all martial arts strive for economy of movement and efficient use and transfer of energy in their tactics. As a practitioner myself I've grown to appreciate how in Keysi techniques are broken down and drilled separately, but then sown together seamlessly to make up the flow of a confrontation/encounter.

Not that I am aware with all, or even most martial arts forms, but I am pretty sure that there's a rhythm or groove all practitioners get into at some point in their training- where we and all concepts of "me", "I" and "ourselves" just fade away and become the art itself. Little something I learned in Judo and whilst reflecting on the Taoteching.

It's that grace, that absolute form of self expression that, ironically, also nullifies our personalities and puts us all on the same level in our practice, that I admire most dearly. I find that every well-executed technique we perform in our respective parts define who we are as practitioners - not only as persons striving for whatever our goals are, but all the same in the sense that we've found harmony with our own minds, bodies, and all external forces and laws that we must abide by. It's sublime.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I have always viewed boxing as poetry in motion. Thinking about it, one or twice I have said "what a beautiful punch" Suppose like a spider, there is still beauty in everything and all.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't find beauty in Martial Arts ain't spent no time in dojo.

But, what tshadowchaser said, about learning....that gives me chicken skin.

Latest Discussions