Forbes: Too much happiness could make you unhappy

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thought this would be a good topic for discussion.

A quote I sometimes cycle in to my signature is: "You will never be the person you can be if pressure, tension, and discipline are taken out of your life" -- James G. Bilkey

Forbes is reporting there is truth behind that saying -- the happiest people are more likely to drop out of school, less likely to pursue additional education or change careers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesma...out-of-school-earn-less-money-research-shows/

What do you think? If you are a teacher, have you seen similar trends in your students?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How Satisfied Are You With Your Life?
To find out, simply indicate, on a scale from 1 to 7, how strongly you agree or agree with the following statements, with 7 being strong agreement.

• In Most Ways My Life Is Close To My Ideal:
  • The Conditions Of My Life Are Excellent:
  • I Am Satisfied With My Life:
  • So Far, I Have Gotten The Important Things I Want In Life:
  • If I Could Live My Life Over, I Would Change Almost Nothing:

Satisfaction With Life Scale
:

• 31 to 35: You Are Extremely Satisfied With Your Life;
  • 26 to 30: You Are Satisfied With Your Life;
  • 21 to 25: You Are Slightly Satisfied With Your Life;
  • 20: Neutral Point;
  • 15 to 19: You Are Slightly Dissatisfied With Your Life;
  • 10 to 14: You Are Dissatisfied With Your Life;
  • 5 to 9: You Are Extremely Dissatisfied With Your Life;

There seems to be a basic flaw in the argument. The author is equating happiness with satisfaction of life. in some questions these can be linked but the last question is not quite right.

If I Could Live My Life Over, I Would Change Almost Nothing:

I would change heaps of things with my life if I were able to turn back the clock. That has absolutely nothing to do with happiness. If someone could live their life and not recognise with hindsight that they could have made better choices, then they are indeed fortunate.

As such I come in at 28 having scored a big fat zero for question five. There are many, many things that I would change with hindsight, but that is not possible, so I accept what I have and consider myself extremely fortunate.
:s81:

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WOW K-man that is fantastic insight. I hope to give you a more coherent response once I've had some sleep (midnight here). Thank you!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too much anything will make you unhappy. Too much air, water, food, and so on. Too much of your best friend and the list goes on and on.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a similiar note, too much money will make you poor and too much health will make you ill :)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a similiar note, too much money will make you poor and too much health will make you ill :)
Well it is true. Too much money too fast will make you poor. Ask the lotto winners. Too much to fast. Too much health can make you ill. If you never get sick your body will not produce any antibodies for anything. So when you get a simple virus that you should fight off quite easy and not even know you had.

Latest Discussions