Unsure of the art taught at my dojo

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always amuses me how some places dont publically list what martial art they do, or its not clearly stated. Like they would just be under the name "karate" and make no mention to waht style is taught, and sometimes the head teacher has several martial arts under his belt and the like. I dont know why you wouldnt state what style of soemthing you do to be honest. Its always a chuckler for me.

That is probbly why they dont list it, Karate Kid has made that style unpopular as all hell.

I can see why they'd do that, if they're trying to appeal to someone like you that doesn't (and never has) train in any martial art. Advertising for the completely ignorant makes using generic terms sensible.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can see why they'd do that, if they're trying to appeal to someone like you that doesn't (and never has) train in any martial art. Advertising for the completely ignorant makes using generic terms sensible.

You disagree with this, Rat? So you think someone who has never trained at all is going to have as much knowledge as someone who has trained? I think that tells us something important.

D

Deleted member 39746

I dont see how that translates to what i wrote and the follow up with Gpseymour. And that is also conjecture my good man.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont see how that translates to what i wrote and the follow up with Gpseymour. And that is also conjecture my good man.

Not really. We know you don't train, you've admitted as much. Which speaks to your credibility when you express an opinion. I've never trained as a pilot. So if I were to offer an opinion on things relating to flying, there's a good chance I'd say something stupid. And certainly anyone taking my advice would be a fool.

D

Deleted member 39746

You disagree with this, Rat? So you think someone who has never trained at all is going to have as much knowledge as someone who has trained? I think that tells us something important.

I was writing the rebutal to it for why i "disagree" with it. You jumped the gun. (to which now i ironically did while replying to that one)

D

Deleted member 39746

Not really. We know you don't train, you've admitted as much. Which speaks to your credibility when you express an opinion. I've never trained as a pilot. So if I were to offer an opinion on things relating to flying, there's a good chance I'd say something stupid. And certainly anyone taking my advice would be a fool.

Yes it is. I have stated (and evidence backs me up if anyone can be bothered to track back) I used to do X style (not important which), havent done in it in a peroid of time and have slowly started getting back into doing Y style. Cherry picking my posts either unintetionally or intentially doesnt help this.

We do have one agreement, if you baslessly take somones advice you are indeed a fool. Let alone if you have zero rapport or a means to hold them accountable if they conned you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey don’t say that,.,.hes a black belt in YouTube and google....but yes agreed rat trying to talk to us about martial arts is like me trying to tell Neil Armstrong about what going to space is like

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always amuses me how some places dont publically list what martial art they do, or its not clearly stated. Like they
I have stated (and evidence backs me up if anyone can be bothered to track back) I used to do X style (not important which),.

lol practice what you preach rat. Call out people for not saying what style they train. Yet you do the same thing in the same conversation.....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it would be something like, say i wanted to do the specfic type of karate mixed with Jujitsu and i got kykoshin instead, it would be a issue. Or vice versa, but most of the time from what i have seen its just hard to find. Its usually the indepednent styles that tend to nt clearly mark theirs. Or their style is their school name but you dont know its independent thus think its a school name.

The issue would lie in, i could be telling people i am doing kykoshin thinking it is, but im not, and might only figure it out if i go to another kyokoshin school. Or another karate school.
Most folks won’t know other styles, and if they do, they’re unlikely to spontaneously decide some random style is what’s being taught.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its things like that that leave me confused and baffled, what possible criteria is that to establish someone ability at something other than writing, im struggling to think of any other sport or physical activity that includes a written test on how guitar playing, snooker, boxing, dancing etal has changed my life ???

some things do have a written test, but they are specific questions about the skill rather than general waffle
Some things in MA schools aren’t about fighting.

D

Deleted member 39746

Most folks won’t know other styles, and if they do, they’re unlikely to spontaneously decide some random style is what’s being taught.

Fair enough. If you are new the place not being open about what style is done doesnt help anything. Like you might get all exicted about doing grappling because you thought it was the karate that is mixed with JJ and find out its just a kickboxing one. Its usually just a lapse in design of website, like they forgot to put it on or something though.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some things in MA schools aren’t about fighting.
well clearly not, but then my guitar playing has very little to do with music,,but a dissertation on introspective issues isnt about anything at all but writing,

assuming there are no wrong answers, and totally bizarre if there is a right answer. that requires you not to actually espressos your feeling accurately

and what gives them the right to require you to reveal your emotions to them ?

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough. If you are new the place not being open about what style is done doesnt help anything. Like you might get all exicted about doing grappling because you thought it was the karate that is mixed with JJ and find out its just a kickboxing one. Its usually just a lapse in design of website, like they forgot to put it on or something though.
Based on what evidence that it’s a lapse in design?....

from my experience people who do that genuine about it. Like a karate style could have lots of bjj and wrestling in it but call it karate. That’s because the instructor is a karate guy mostly but has cross trained bjj and wrestling and put those into his own style and since the majority of his stuff is still karate he just calls it karate

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been practicing at this dojo for sometime over half a year now, but I'm still not sure what art is being taught. I know it is either karate or taekwondo, especially since I have heard those two terms being used in the dojo. We do practice many kicking techniques including spin kicks and such, but we also practice many open-handed techniques. Also, we practice joint manipulation, occasional groundwork, and kobudo katas (or forms, but since I've been leaning ever so slightly towards the idea of it being karate, I've been calling them katas; actually, both of those terms have been used in the dojo as well). We wear gis, but our sparring gear seems to be that of taekwondo gear, even though we spar with our hands up and other such things that would generally be seen in karate.

I don't know why it is so important for me to know the specific art I am practicing, but it just seems to feel somewhat unnerving to not be able to say for sure whether it is karate or taekwondo. This uncertainty may also make the dojo seem like a McDojo, but I actually do have confidence in this dojo and the instructors in it. I've definitely gone through some time periods in which I was seriously questioning the legitimacy of the dojo, but after consulting what made a dojo a real dojo, I found that it was making details that were actually insignificant to the training a bigger deal than they were. We are taught the application of all techniques, the instructors practice them with us and encourage us to ask about applications so they can allow us to understand them, and oftentimes, these explanations go into great depth (so end up lasting quite a while, although I'm not complaining because it's one of the things I love about being there).

Anyways, with all that stuff being practiced in the dojo, would any of you be able to suggest what the art most likely is? And if you have any other advice, that would be greatly appreciated as well. I'm still a beginner so if anything I said sounds off, please let me know. Thanks!
I feel you. My first experience with martial arts was a situation very similar to this. My instructor was clearly skilled, but he was cagey about what he trained and where. Can't know for sure what your situation is, but I think it's safe to say that you have to be able to trust your instructor. If your gut tells you something is shifty, that nagging feeling won't go away. Over the course of about a year, I learned enough to figure out what I liked and didn't like and ended up going to a different school in a different style. Bottom line is that in an industry like Martial Arts, where there are no external, objective certifications or standards, a lack of transparency is concerning.

As others have said, I think you need to ask some questions. You don't have to be accusatory. Just be curious. "Hey, I was looking on the internet, and turns out there are a LOT of styles of karate. What exactly are we learning? When you trained TKD, was it WTF? Did you compete?" To be clear, I'm not recommending you interrogate the guy. But there is nothing wrong with curiosity and interest. And if he is cagey and evasive, that's a red flag.

Is he awarding rank in a martial art? If so, which style? I mean, he might be awarding rank in his own style that he invented, which is often a red flag. However, it's just as likely that he is perfectly competent to award rank in Karate and/or TKD. So, you might be learning a bit of both, but are earning rank in one or the other.

Are you proud to tell people where you train or what you're learning? Would you recommend your school to a friend without reservation? Because you should.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re still assuming they go in with a notion of what it is, but are wrong. Most folks either have no notion (they just like the idea of training MA), or are looking for some specific concept (grappling, ground work, self-defense orientation) and watch classes looking for that thing. A small number are looking for a specific art (whether they really know what it is or not), and they’ll usually ask about that pretty quickly.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Buka

I am really surprised at you. That is one of the oldest scams in the book; trying to sell properly that I have had title to for several years (and did I get it for a bargain
!)

Be assured my lawyer will be in touch with you just as soon as he is re-admitted to his State's bar.

SaulGoodman.JPEG

Here's my attorney. He'll have my people call your people.

(Quick, somebody get me some people!)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah. If the style is for example Cobra Kai. It is not that clear an indication of what that style actually is.

And if you wanted to super nerd it out there is debate on what style that was.

What style of karate is Cobra Kai karate based on in the original Karate Kid movie? - Quora

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You’re still assuming they go in with a notion of what it is, but are wrong. Most folks either have no notion (they just like the idea of training MA), or are looking for some specific concept (grappling, ground work, self-defense orientation) and watch classes looking for that thing. A small number are looking for a specific art (whether they really know what it is or not), and they’ll usually ask about that pretty quickly.
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the vast majority of adults who get into martial arts fall into one of two categories. They either trained as a child and are getting back into it, or they enroll their child in class and are roped into training as a family thing.

I think you're probably right that most folks don't have any idea what they're looking for.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The other obvious reason the OP may not know the style of MA he is doing is because he is training in an MMA gym where they teach many different styles or a blend of styles. There is a gym near me that teaches some form of 'street' karate. They also have classes in kickboxing, BJJ, boxing and wrestling. The gym has a ring and a cage as well as a tatami all under one roof. The only 'brand name' MA they promote is 10th Planet. Everything else is pretty generic.

People enjoy going there and it caters to people wanting to learn MMA for the most part but you can also join the gym to take specific classes.

Getting back to the karate they teach, I have had friends go there that have done Kyokushin and they say it is NOT what would resemble any traditional karate training. Yes, you wear a dogi and there are belts in the system but that is pretty much where the resemblance to karate ends. I believe the karate is aimed at kids and women who want to learn self-defence. When asked what style of karate it is, the answer is a form of 'street' karate that is an improvement to the traditional systems out there.

Latest Discussions