Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Very nice, you see, one of the biggest hurdles I face is that I recently found out that I am ceremonially inadequate. I imagine I will need some dogma training.
Just have someone give you your black sash... or award it to yourself. That might work. ;)

Being serious for a second, there seems to be some folks taking things personally right now. Am I wrong?
I have run businesses. I have between 6-17 students in class at any given time. My students seem to like it, I have several that have been with me for 8 years now. It sounds like you are saying I shouldn’t comment because I do things this way or that. Perhaps you are right about starting another thread.
Case in point. Why do you think that? The only concern I'm bringing up is that you seem determined to take this personally, and I can't figure out why. Why do you think I care one way or the other if you post in this thread? I just don't think it's great if there's a lot of unnecessary drama. But you seem determined to create drama. I don't get it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And you somehow managed to turn this into an argument over the quality of the food at McDonald's, and the character of the people who eat it. Once again, people looking for things to be mad about.
I like McDonalds. I mean, for what it's worth. But as they teach the kids in elementary school, it's a "sometimes" food. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Do any of you actually feel like you gain something continuing a debate for almost 1k posts? I'm not judging or complaining, genuinely curious.
I think everyone gets a free frosty at Wendy's when the post goes over 50 pages. Wait... is Wendy's bad or good? I don't know. I eat there, too. :)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just have someone give you your black sash... or award it to yourself. That might work. ;)

Being serious for a second, there seems to be some folks taking things personally right now. Am I wrong?

Case in point. Why do you think that? The only concern I'm bringing up is that you seem determined to take this personally, and I can't figure out why. Why do you think I care one way or the other if you post in this thread? I just don't think it's great if there's a lot of unnecessary drama. But you seem determined to create drama. I don't get it.
Create Drama? I was making a comment, I’m not mad. It seems like pushing back on ideas we don’t agree with is pretty commonplace on Internet forums. You said I’m taking it personally but really it’s just the analogy I don’t agree with. I keep trying (and clearly failing) to make a joke to lighten up the discussion, but we know how that goes… @Hot Lunch seems to have an appetite for discussing the particulars. I am actually really developing a taste for this junk food discussion.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People can make whatever silly assumptions they like. My price has always been set at $0.00; I have never charged a single penny. But I think students have been satisfied with their training.
There's nothing wrong with doing something for free. I was just highlighting the the challenges that comes with it. I can charge $20 a month and still offer "free" to someone who needs it.

There is always the option to offer free. When I fell upon financial hardiships for multiple years, my teacher trained me for free. Free is always an option.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with doing something for free. I was just highlighting the the challenges that comes with it. I can charge $20 a month and still offer "free" to someone who needs it.

There is always the option to offer free. When I fell upon financial hardiships for multiple years, my teacher trained me for free. Free is always an option.
At one point I went from free to being forcefully paid. Had 2-3 years of free lessons, and at some point took on an instructor role. Came in one day to my sensei handing me money. Argued with him for a bit-multiple years of free lessons, I wasn't going to charge to help out.

Eventually accepted it. Then sometime during covid he posted a gofundme to help keep the place until they could start training again. Figured out how much he'd paid me and dropped it in there :cool:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, you see, one of the biggest hurdles I face is that I recently found out that I am ceremonially inadequate. I imagine I will need some dogma training.
At your service <genuflects, lights incense and incants in a made up language that sounds like Latin/Elvish>

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you actually feel like you gain something continuing a debate for almost 1k posts? I'm not judging or complaining, genuinely curious.
We each know that we’re correct and have real insight into everything. We continue the thread as an exercise in ‘intellectual jousting’. It’s fun because, I suspect, we don’t take ourselves too seriously…well I do, but I’m the most correct.😑

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone gets a free frosty at Wendy's when the post goes over 50 pages. Wait... is Wendy's bad or good? I don't know. I eat there, too. :)
Who’s Wendy? She sounds nice.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Create Drama? I was making a comment, I’m not mad. It seems like pushing back on ideas we don’t agree with is pretty commonplace on Internet forums. You said I’m taking it personally but really it’s just the analogy I don’t agree with. I keep trying (and clearly failing) to make a joke to lighten up the discussion, but we know how that goes… @Hot Lunch seems to have an appetite for discussing the particulars. I am actually really developing a taste for this junk food discussion.
Sincerely, if you intend to keep it lighthearted, I'm relieved and retract what I said completely. I was obviously misjudging the tone of your posts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
STEVE! I’m not annoyed…I’m disappointed!
Mmm... as I was eating my chicken mcnuggets for lunch, I was reminded of a pair of Jamie Oliver Videos. I'll have to see if I can find them now... comedy gold.

Edit: Okay. It's really best, if you have the time, to watch these in order. They are both of the same demonstration that Jamie Oliver does for kids. The first is a group of kids in the UK, and the second is in the USA.

Last edited: