Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Because more than 80% of reviews are uninformed opinion, that’s my uninformed opinion.
60% of the time, it works every time.
Steve,

As an engineer I see and understand your point.
I have Gilbert's which is a genetic Liver disorder. To most people it is no big deal for me it is more so.

I can eat white meat chicken or Turkey, but I cannot have it with the skin or even eat Dark meat without feeling discomfort.
So to some a baked chicken leg would not be greasy, and to me it is. :(

Another example is vehicle emissions. a vehicle that was considered Low Emissions for 2000, probably today would not even be considered to pass any emission test. So it is subjective to the time place and location and the environment, on if the vehicle meets low emissions.
That being said, the 2000 vehicle would or should still meet the emissions it was designed for. So low or greasy are too vague a definition. :(
One would have to quantify the exact CO, CO2, NO, NO2, and non Methane, and particulates to measure.

So I see your point as I stated. Just in general discussion most (very few) will discuss in details the level of details required for an absolute such as that.
I dislike this post , so if you feel bad about it I understand. I don't mean it as a negative. Just explaining my subjective understanding of this topic.
My Apologies.
thanks for this. Very true. It all has to do with the standards in place. You can use terms like “taste bad” and “greasy” and they might be subjective. But they may not be. If you take some time (as you did) to define the terms in objective, measurable ways, they are no longer subjective.

In a vain attempt to get this thread back on track, that is the point I was trying to make. :) I think folks have gotten too carried away .

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
60% of the time, it works every time.

thanks for this. Very true. It all has to do with the standards in place. You can use terms like “taste bad” and “greasy” and they might be subjective. But they may not be. If you take some time (as you did) to define the terms in objective, measurable ways, they are no longer subjective.

In a vain attempt to get this thread back on track, that is the point I was trying to make. :) I think folks have gotten too carried away .
Guilty as charged.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whoa, hold on. Not quite true. It really depends upon whether the statements are supported by some objective, independently observed standards. For example, it should be pretty easy to determine whether food is greasy or not.
Nope. What is or is not 'greasy' is a very subjective thing based on personal preferences and, quite often, cultural norms, or even the intention of the food. Is pemican 'greasy'? It's typically made with something like 50% fat and grease. Are french fries (or deep fried anything) 'greasy'? They literally get a jacuzzi is oil or grease. Is Sawmill Gravy 'greasy'? Depending on the recipe it can have 20% or more bacon grease.

You get the idea.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, here's a question. Is anyone interested in having a discussion, or are folks just having a laugh and engaging in a little light trolling?
About what a McDojo is? It's too vague and subjective. There will never be an accepted definition that everyone will be happy with. About being "offended?" That's a sure way to get people to choose sides and draw lines; it's such a divisive (and often socially & politically charged) subject.

About what is or is not libel or slander? Sure. It tends to be a much shorter discussion, however.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not if all you did was read the reviews and the brochure and the chefs credentials. You have to go in and actually get a taste.
And even then it's worthless. If a person person judges a TexMex restaurant by Polish Deli standards, well, it's going to be judged as "bad."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The context is that greasy is a bad thing. And that is a matter of taste. Some people like lean meat. Some like it heavily marbled.
Jack Sprat could eat no fat.
His wife could eat no lean.
And so between them both, you see,
They licked the platter clean
Jack ate all the lean,
Joan ate all the fat.
The bone they picked it clean,
Then gave it to the cat.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I’m not offended. Rather perplexed.
I’m perplexed by you too...by your logic I can’t have an opinion on anything that I have no experience on, I mean...you do know jury’s are filled by people who are not lawyers right?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m perplexed by you too...by your logic I can’t have an opinion on anything that I have no experience on, I mean...you do know jury’s are filled by people who are not lawyers right?
I’m not picking on you. I think we may just have different styles of communication. I respect whatever your opinion is, and your right to it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have never made a jury as the defense almost always uses one of their dismissals when they hear I am an Engineer.

So yes, Jury's are made up of the least educated and most likely to be persuaded by emotion.
Not always, and given a large enough sample size hopefully they can get one critical thinking person on the jury .

This is the second time you have mentioned Legal type actions. Are you a lawyer or a medical doctor or both?

And yes I have set precedence with CARB and legal legislations.
I have argued with lawyers and judges, with data.

Just curious as to the relevance, as is it your frame of reference or something else.
Have a nice day.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never made a jury as the defense almost always uses one of their dismissals when they hear I am an Engineer.
At Voir Dire:
Lawyers: So tell us about yourself:
Me: I'm a Christian who attends every week, a high-level IT professional working for the Department of Defense, a Martial Arts and Firearms expert with ratings and certifications, and I have friends who are cops.
Lawyers: Dismissed.

Every time.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At Voir Dire:
Me: I'm a Christian who attends every week, a high-level IT professional working for the Department of Defense, a Martial Arts and Firearms expert with ratings and certifications, and I have friends who are cops.

Every time.
This is very similar to what happens whenever I get a jury summons.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is very similar to what happens whenever I get a jury summons.
At first I used to wonder what would happen to my job and the rest if I were ever Seated. Now I know not to give it a second thought. I lose a day while they figure out that they want to dismiss me because I probably have expertise, experience, or a social relationship which touches on the area that they are trying.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At Voir Dire:

Every time.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Similar:
I am an engineer with BS and MS in Comp Sci, with minors in Math, Chem, and Phil, I have worked for Military Contractors and Vehicle OEMS and some contract in between. I teach Martial Arts, and I have the appropriate legal license to carry (When Appropriate or active - as times when I did not have one yet). I have been married and divorced with no kids.
Dismissed.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh boy. The "I'm too smart to be on a jury" thing again. :rolleyes: :vomit:

Steve ,

I am not too smart.
I know my limitations.
I know some. -- I usually say I know nothing and understand less.

My points, was that Mider was indirectly using the Appeal to authority argument and I was trying to show that it falls apart as there are other authorities as well.

For the legal people including LEOs here is the question I always ask them when I get the appeal to authority:
All states recognize other states license plates.
One stat does not recognize the Manufacturing Plate of one other state.
Can you provide these two states without looking it up?

Unless you work in my field and been in said vehicles in both states it is really difficult to expect anyone to know this.

The Answer: Arizona does not recognize Michigan Manufacturer License Plates. They want to get their cut of the license plate monies for testing. Depending upon the officer, one gets a warning ticket that has to be resolved in 24-72 hours, by showing the Arizona Manufacturing License plate. Unless you can prove with receipts that you spent the previous night in a different state and have reservations in a another state the next night.

So, Not too smart.
Just subtly calling out the person using the appeal to authority argument.

PS: :oops::rolleyes:o_O
:banhappy::banhappy::banhappy::banhappy:
🤮🤮🤮🤮

Latest Discussions