Bull Neck

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you've never given yourself whiplash while checking your mirrors driving, you can't really appreciate the value of a well conditioned, supple neck.

I'll take flexibility over strength any day, though. Strength doesn't last, flexibility can.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll take flexibility over strength any day, though. Strength doesn't last, flexibility can.
I admit I'm genuinely confused about what you mean by this statement.

In my experience flexibility fades much faster than strength gains do if I stop training. If you mean you can't stay strong as you age but you can remain flexible, I would also disagree with this as well. Sure, if you're in your 80's it's hard to maintain the strength you had at 25 (if you were fit at 25), but it's pretty hard to be as flexible either. With a good training protocol it's generally pretty easy to be vastly stronger than your peers at that age. If your health is still good and you take your training seriously you will also be a lot stronger than a lot of people 20 or even 30 years younger and without question you will be stronger than you would be if you didn't train.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I admit I'm genuinely confused about what you mean by this statement.

In my experience flexibility fades much faster than strength gains do if I stop training. If you mean you can't stay strong as you age but you can remain flexible, I would also disagree with this as well. Sure, if you're in your 80's it's hard to maintain the strength you had at 25 (if you were fit at 25), but it's pretty hard to be as flexible either. With a good training protocol it's generally pretty easy to be vastly stronger than your peers at that age. If your health is still good and you take your training seriously you will also be a lot stronger than a lot of people 20 or even 30 years younger and without question you will be stronger than you would be if you didn't train.

Great, admitting you have a problem is the first step towards enlightenment.

It's not hard to be flexible in your later years. I'm pretty limber, honestly.

But everyone's first and foremost problem is immobility, and the solution is to move. Strength comes from only that. And strength only lasts so long, too. It's tied to oxygen in the blood. The Chinese call it Chi, the Indians call it prana. If you want to get intricate, the Chinese have a lot of theory on strength related to Tiger and Leopard animal aspects (which are impressive to behold).

If you really want to get philosophical, everything fades...but flexibility can be maintained longer than strength. For this reason countless ma mas throw their limbs around in countless green pastures across this Earth. Every single day, like a revolution.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great, admitting you have a problem is the first step towards enlightenment.

It's not hard to be flexible in your later years. I'm pretty limber, honestly.

But everyone's first and foremost problem is immobility, and the solution is to move. Strength comes from only that. And strength only lasts so long, too. It's tied to oxygen in the blood. The Chinese call it Chi, the Indians call it prana. If you want to get intricate, the Chinese have a lot of theory on strength related to Tiger and Leopard animal aspects (which are impressive to behold).

If you really want to get philosophical, everything fades...but flexibility can be maintained longer than strength. For this reason countless ma mas throw their limbs around in countless green pastures across this Earth. Every single day, like a revolution.
From my experience, I agree with you that if you keep up with stretching, you can keep your flexibility even when you get older. I am close to 68, I still retain my flexibility. I never been that flexible, but I keep it up. I am sure I am a lot more flexible than people at my age.

Where as my strength faded no matter how hard I try.

But I think both are important, you have to practice strength and stretch, missing one is not good.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the "wrestler's bridge" is still alive and well in the training world.

In fact, a day or two ago I came across a training video that the guy was doing a "semi" neck bridge (not as high up as a wrestler does) and was doing DB presses at the same time.

I am NOT commented on the dangers that can cause, just pointing out that people still train and recommend those types of exercises.

For direct neck training, I always trained my neck more in line with boxers. Lots of high reps and little to no weight. I would go heavier on shrugs and would vary the rep range.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My 9 year old does them at every wrestling practice.
Ha ha, 9 years old can do things we adult would be amazed. I remember my little grand son sliding down on a rope using one hand holding the thing to slide. It's not so easy for an adult to hold in one hand to do it. He is 21, he can't even do 10 pushups now!!!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, 9 years old can do things we adult would be amazed. I remember my little grand son sliding down on a rope using one hand holding the thing to slide. It's not so easy for an adult to hold in one hand to do it. He is 21, he can't even do 10 pushups now!!!
Monkey bars, I used to do them like crazy now I can barely make it across 10 feet of them. My 9 year old and 15 year old have great strength to weight ratios and can go back and forth very easily.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Monkey bars, I used to do them like crazy now I can barely make it across 10 feet of them. My 9 year old and 15 year old have great strength to weight ratios and can go back and forth very easily.
Also, it really doesn't help the teenagers do VIRTUE exercise online when they grow up. You have to keep encourage them to do real exercise.

Latest Discussions