Deltoid training

P

progressivetactics

sometimes, unbelieable attempts yeild unbelievable results.
Good luck, my friend.

J

Jill666

I do my reps with the usual weight (which I have just bumped up, then I push ten pounds more twice, then add five more, to failure. This way whenever I surprise myslef I know it's time to bump up.... :D Slow but steady.

I restrict my top weight when I'm alone, and never put the clamps on. But 90% of the time, I got my partner to work with me.

By the way, I have added the skull crushers.... they are as nasty as I thought they would be. I have added them to my routine. Thanks, I guess. :rofl:

P

progressivetactics

I just hit skull crushers today. 160#'s and still growing.
I love em!!! But they hurt like heck for the next 2 days!

Limitations are for people who have them
Excuses are for people who need them!

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
sometimes, unbelieable attempts yeild unbelievable results.
Good luck, my friend.

Ok, I've tried to up the dumbbells. On the side lateral raises I've manged to now get a set of 8 - 10 (depending on the day) with 25lb.'ers. The 30's are only maybe 2 with any kind of form. It is good just to get a little extra kick in the pants to make you try more sometimes. Thanks for the advice.;)

P

progressivetactics

EXCELLENT!!!!

Sometimes you have to do something seemingly impossible to get out of those slumps. Great job!

I am about to face a new goal I haven't done in over 2 1/2 years... I am taking 1 week off of lifting. This is going to be hard!

Great job on the side lateral raises. Keep me 'posted'!

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
Jason it is best if you speak to your gym attendent or trainer, it all depends on your size bone structure and genetics............
alot of the point and reply's on this thread are valid, but if you want size and strength you also have to be taking a lot of supplements, also talk to the big guys at the gym they will be able to help

thanks

terry

G

gumo9

Remember to also work your rotator cuff muscles.

Lots of work on the deltoids without also strengthening your rotator cuff can result in impingement syndrome. Big strong deltoids will tend to pull your humerus up into the socket of your scapula and squish some important tendons if your rotators are weak. The rotator cuff muscles are designed to (amongst other things) maintain a vital space within your shoulder joint and they can only do this if they are nice and strong.

For lateral raises, personally, I would perhaps reduce the weight but improve the form when doing exercises like lateral raises. Back nice and straight with neutral spine, lift under control leading with the little finger-side of the hand slightly and then lower only as far as you feel the resistance come off, then raise again. Huge dumbells look impressive but bad technique can lead to injuries (been there, got the T-shirt etc.).

seeya

Graham
Manchester, UK

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Arnold presses.

dumbells.....
instead of a regular press,move your elbows to the front of your body.
your palms should be facing you.
push the weights up and turn your palms out as you get to the top.
when you get to the top,feel your rear delts and use them to turn your entire arm,palms out,as far as you can go and squeeze for a second or 2...then lower back to the beginning.
this one movement hits all 3 heads better than anything else because it changes position of the weight to each of the heads individually as you move the weight up.
straight barbell military presses are still highly rated for overall mass,but some can't handle the weight they need and some respond better to the arnolds.
give it a try and see what happens.................

Latest Discussions