Building your ideal martial arts training grounds

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you were able to get hold of 5,500 ft2 of open space right in your backyard. What would you build/install to make your ideal training grounds for the martial art that you practice? The terrain is in the open, flat, and has nothing but dirt, just one big square of space. Your budget is tight so be creative. Said training grounds are for your private use only.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
easy. bags (heavy, speed, crazy), mats, some mits and shields, and an octagon. Maybe some weights and a pull up bar.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've actually thought about putting a US military training pit in my back yard. It's a big circle of sand bags stacked 2-3 feet high and filled with a good padding of saw dust.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m having trouble visualizing 5500 sq feet, so I’m not sure if it’s really big enough, and I guess it would depend on the ratio of length to width, but if it would work... in-ground swimming pool. And I could do MA stuff in it too :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Solo practice or you opening up your own dojo?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you were able to get hold of 5,500 ft2 of open space right in your backyard. What would you build/install to make your ideal training grounds for the martial art that you practice? The terrain is in the open, flat, and has nothing but dirt, just one big square of space. Your budget is tight so be creative. Said training grounds are for your private use only.

Do I get to live there too, with a small house?

D

Deleted member 39746

A hill and quarters/ inside training areas and a firing range. (obviously layers upon layers of razor wire and trenches along the outskirts to stop anyone from le.. entering)

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A wooden floor, 6ft heavy bag(s) and others, and a Bob XL. That’s all, really.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To be honest, I can't get my brain around having that much space. I'm used to modest environs and limited quarters and my system works well for that. I suppose in addition to the little space I need to practice my art, someplace with some gym equipment, bags/dummies, etc. A nice place to have some tea.

For self defense training, I would highly value the ability to simulate different environments: rooms, buildings, bus stops, etc. Maybe change things out like a movie set (assuming I wasn't training alone). I think Marc MacYoung had done things like that.

We just don't have that kind of space out here, but we make the most of what we've got.

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wonder if he ever built it? The area was about 75' x 75'. Here's most of mine, I"ve built in the last couple of weeks. Wooden Man was free, built out of a wooden stool legs, the Ip Man Saloon free, built out of scrap lumber. Bridge over troubled water free, 70 lb bag got on sale for $59. Anyway, ever in Colorado, come on by and saddle up at the Ip Man Bruce Lee Saloon. NieghborsSaloon.jpg PunchBag.jpg

Attachments

• RushingCreekattheClaim.JPG
    RushingCreekattheClaim.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_4792.JPG
    IMG_4792.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 283
  • AspenWoodenMann.jpg
    AspenWoodenMann.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 276
OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've actually thought about putting a US military training pit in my back yard. It's a big circle of sand bags stacked 2-3 feet high and filled with a good padding of saw dust.

That sounds cool but I’m having trouble picturing it and google didn’t help do you have more details?

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I’m having trouble visualizing 5500 sq feet, so I’m not sure if it’s really big enough, and I guess it would depend on the ratio of length to width, but if it would work... in-ground swimming pool. And I could do MA stuff in it too :)

I guess you could fit part of an olympic swimming pool there cool idea.

Latest Discussions