Building Makiwara

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone here attempted fixing a post to the ground using one of these, rather than digging a hole, or for when digging isn't an option?

Erecta-Plate_medium.jpg

Wondering how well it'll last, and whether it will 'give' correctly etc?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here attempted fixing a post to the ground using one of these, rather than digging a hole, or for when digging isn't an option?

Erecta-Plate_medium.jpg

Wondering how well it'll last, and whether it will 'give' correctly etc?
I made a few of these holders years ago. After a while the bolts will pull out of the floor and the weld will break. Fix them as this happens and they will last a long time. The give is in the taper of the wood used. Good vid above with Shinjo Sensei.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
F

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a good vid. I might have to try some of those weight exercises he does too. Incredibly powerful looking man. Don't think you'd want him to get a grip of you...

OP
F

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Weather has improved, so am now progressing.

Any thoughts on the kind of wood? I'm guessing that a bog-standard fence post cut down with a circular saw is not a great idea?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you looking to attach it to a floor -- or simply to the ground? The post mount you're thinking about using is designed to prevent the need to bury a length of post or embed it in concrete and let you attach it to a concrete footing. I'm not sure how well it would work if you just did something like use spikes to attach it to the ground.

As to the wood to use -- I recall seeing plans using a 4x4, that you cut a taper onto. In fact, I just did a quick search, and got lots of plans without any trouble via the internet. If it's outdoor, I'd definitely suggest treated wood; it'll last longer. Indoor -- I'd avoid treated wood.

JamieMc

White Belt
Reaction score
I made a few of these holders years ago. After a while the bolts will pull out of the floor and the weld will break. Fix them as this happens and they will last a long time. The give is in the taper of the wood used. Good vid above with Shinjo Sensei.
Always better to bury it at least 3 feet in the ground if possible. Love this video of Shinjo Sensei. The "pad" had 2 perfect indentations from his knuckles.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Always better to bury it at least 3 feet in the ground if possible. Love this video of Shinjo Sensei. The "pad" had 2 perfect indentations from his knuckles.
Welcome to Martial Talk, JamieMc. When you get a chance stop by the Meet and Greet section of MT and introduce yourself. Once again, welcome aboard....:)

Latest Discussions