Breaking question

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who here does alot of breaking? Why do you believe in all of it, what does it prove? I know a person for the life of him could not break two one inch boards with and hand strike but yet when he hits you it feels like a ton being tossed into your dhest. So is breaking really worth anything beside looking good at demo's?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know that we do a lot of breaking - but it is required for testing at every rank. Breaking builds confidence in students that the techniques they are learning really work - but there are plenty of other ways to do that as well. What I find breaking is really good for is focus - because if you don't hit the breaking materials in the right spot, all the power in the world won't do you any good.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know that we do a lot of breaking - but it is required for testing at every rank. Breaking builds confidence in students that the techniques they are learning really work - but there are plenty of other ways to do that as well. What I find breaking is really good for is focus - because if you don't hit the breaking materials in the right spot, all the power in the world won't do you any good.

This is so true.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Breaking isn't a big focus for us but most of our students learn to break a board.
It helps practice focus, its a confidence builder, and it makes for a great demo! :)
My instructor, who came from a full contact fight backround, emphasized to me that if you can break a one inch board then you can break a rib.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I find breaking is really good for is focus - because if you don't hit the breaking materials in the right spot, all the power in the world won't do you any good.

That's kinda how I approach it...I/we don't break much, but it helps me focus my technique to be sure that the power is in the right spot at the right moment.

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Breaking builds confidence in students that the techniques they are learning really work - but there are plenty of other ways to do that as well.

Definitely there are other ways to do it but that sure is a good one. I remember breaking my first board and grinning all day long. Not to say I hadn't already been told I had good technique but that still wasn't as reinforcing as that board breaking. My friend just started as white belt last month and is supposed to test for her first stripe (3 stripes per belt) but has been putting it off because she's scared of not being good enough despite what everyone tells her. I got her to break one of the easy rebreakable boards with a palm-heel and the increase in her confidence towards testing was pretty much instantaneous.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are 2 major types of board breaking, power and speed.

Power breaking is what most people do and that is where the board is held by someone or something while being broken. It is called power breaking because you can "push through" the board using power. Speed does not play too much of a factor in this type of breaking.

Speed breaking is where the board is in mid-air when broken. This requires speed because from the moment of impact the board starts moving away from you and it starts to absorb the energy. Your only chance of breaking the board is to have the hand/foot travelling fast enough that the board breaks before you overcome its momentum. There is no way you can push through this break.

We do power breaking but it would be fun to try speed breaking for a change. I think that "wimpy" people need to practice the power breaks to see if they are strong enough while "strong" people need to practice speed breaking to see if they are fast enough.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do speed breaking as well as power breaking, and you are correct - speed breaking takes a different type of skill. However, it still comes down to focus in the end - can you put the appropriate technique in the appropriate location with the appropriate balance, focus, control and timing/speed to break the object you're aiming at.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We didn't do a lot of it in my old Lau days but I did find it very useful to help me build into my mindset the concept of striking through a target rather than just hitting the surface.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Breaking is a technique thing.

And a mental thing. It takes a lot less preparation to hit a soft object (like a body) vs a hard target you know is gonna hurt.

'Does it hurt when you break' I have been asked over and over at demos and breaking clinics 'No, only if you don't break it'.

I also see the difference between girls and boys the first time out.

Not breaking a 2" target is likely a mental thing.

It's a difference if you break wood or re-breakables (which I LOATHE)

It is interesting....I had a no-change at rank test the last time...the spin side didn't work (and you know the feeling when you practice and you already know it's not going to work) though the time before I had trouble with that as well (technique error...over rotating...) but as soon as the instructor gives you a talking-to things are a lot different!

It does give you an appreciation for the power and possibility of distruction that lies within your hand and feet.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Breaking is useful because it allows us to demonstrate what we cannot do on human beings.
Having said that, it should be realistic. I'm all in favor of seeing what the human body can do, but when you're showing 720-degree breaks on 1/4 inch boards, come on. Try to keep in somewhat realistic.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Breaking is required at all of our tests. I do find it very helpful in, as Sukerkin stated, building a mindset of striking through the target.

Daniel

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
All of our black belt tests require breaking, and they should get harder the higher you go. Not only that, but if you break but show poor form or balance you still fail.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score

Couldn't have said it any better! We do breaking class every month and the students love it!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I've broken many a board and brick, personaly I'd prefer them demonstrating on focus mitts and punching bags. I know it's part of the 'art', but like Bruce Lee said, 'boards and bricks don't fight back'.

Yes I know it demonstrates power and focus, but there are many ways to demonstrate those two items.

The first Japanese masters to come to the U.S. after WW2 put on demos for all to see. They did forms and such. The crowds just kind of, you know, fell asleep. Then they broke a few boards and the crowds went wild. This puzzled the Japanese as board breaking was just a small part of their art and the forms show so much more of what it was all about.

I suspect in the year 2402, Earth colonist in Alpha Centauri will still be breaking boards and bricks! And the Romulans, who will be watching, will go wild....

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, true, breaking is a small part of the training.

However, I like to consider it as a test on the way on whether or not my techniques are good. Forms you can fudge, and weasle your way through sparring, takes a couple of lucky shots, that's all. But though boards don't fight back, if you mess it up they sure have some bite!

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even today, in Taekwondo demos, most spectators do not understand forms, and free fighting, unless it is deliberately slow, moves too fast for many to really catch.
But everyone understands the power and technique needed to break 5 boards or a stack of patio blocks and not injure yourself. Breaking may be the smallest aspect of taekwondo, but it's the part everyone understands. In fact, I would imagine many people watch demos just to see breaking. It never ceases to fascinate.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shucks, I have been breaking myself for a while now and I try never to miss a breaking demo!:ultracool

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As well as the physical focus elements and being able to put all of your power (and weight) in the right place at the right time, there is also a huge mental component to breaking.

I have seen very high ranking, powerful people fail a simple break because their mind was elsewhere (distracted, exhausted, etc.), while other times they've easily done much more. IMO, especially on harder breaks (aforementioned speed breaks, power breaks of 10+ bricks, etc), the mental focus required is more important than the physical.

While this sort of mental focus can be trained through other drills (working weapons with partners comes to mind), it is clearly demonstrated by an individual in breaking.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We all practice to hit hard if need be- would you agree to that? For, me, sometimes it's fun to break stuff. The last two demos I did some power breaks with side kick and speed break with hand techniques.....What a rush!

Latest Discussions