Breaking question

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I broke a board once. A friend was showing me some stuff. I don't know how thick it was, but it was cool. He told me the point to breaking the board was that boards bend bones don't. So when your in a self-defense situation, you break stuff, and when the fight is over, you look at the guy and go holy crap I did that? Cause you don't realize how much power that you really have. He said it was like night and day. Hitting a board, and hitting a person. The human body is soft compared to the board and you end up hitting much harder than you think when you have to defend yourself. I don't know. Sounded good when I was 16. LOL

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I said, you do to boards and bricks what you cannot do to people. Many people truly don't realize how much power they are generating, which is why goofing around with a non-practitioner is never a good idea. Breaking shows you just what you are capable of (assuming it wasn't fixed!).

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have much else to add of substance that will add to the benefits/usefulness of breaking...but I wanted to share a story from my recent belt test about how breaking was of benefit to me.

As some of you may (or may not know), I blew out the ACL of my right knee right before my black belt exam almost two years ago. It was the worst njury I'd ever sustained and required me to have major surgeyr for the first time. I recovered physically, had a great BB test later...but mentally it really shook me up.

Anyway, long story short, I blew out my kneee after laning a nahtabon kick (360 reverse jumping roundhouse). I've been avoiding that kick ever since even (even though I've been douing lots of lower body strength conditioning and my knee is probably stronger now than before my injury).

As a part of my recent intermediate BB test (5th one between 1st and 2nd dan), I was required to do 5 breaks (side kick 3 boards, back hook kick 2 boards, low back hook kick 1 board, ridge hand 1 board speed break, and 1 elective break). I decided I needed to overcome tyhe last lingering hold up from my injury and do a nahtabon for my elective.

I was nervous as all get out, even with practice. On the one hand I knew from experience that my knee was strong, my technique much inmproved and that i could not only execute the break but do so successfully. fdeep down howeverthe lingering doubts kept nagging away at me.

When it came time to do the break, I focused and delivered the best kick I could. I hit that board so fast that it broke into three pieces (the middle part flying across the dojang). Immediately I felt vindicated and releived. One more demon down.

Peace,
Erik