DVD as a refresher tool

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you really use DVD to refresh all of your techniques?

I know when it comes to kicking I prefer Sang H. Kim series and I really like his Ultimate kicking DVD and his Complete kicking one as well. What are some ofthe others that are out there?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a copy of the ITF CDs, which include all the patterns - but interpretations change, so I have to be careful about which details I take out of those videos, especially since my copy is 15+ years old.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a copy of the ITF CDs, which include all the patterns - but interpretations change, so I have to be careful about which details I take out of those videos, especially since my copy is 15+ years old.

I agree I ahve a copy of KKW poomsae from the seventoes and with all the little changes over the years some of them do not even look like the same poomsae's.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1. WTF poomsae DVDs from Dartfish. I have the complete set, which was originally commisioned to train judges for the first WTF international poomsae competition. Of course, like most things about the WTF, it changes, so some of the moves and interpretations are already slightly out of date. Still, the videos show the complete motions (both step-by-step and continuous flow in the forms) from four different angles, and provide key points and details for many moves. Pricey, but I have more than gotten my money's worth.

2. Hankuk Federation haedong kumdo VHS video textbook. A four-VHS set, only available in Korean. Since I am living more than 100 miles from the closest school within this federation, I find the videos indespensible for review and reminders.

3. "Home Movies". Some of my students recorded me doing the forms for the Daehan Federation of haidong gumdo. Certain students were going on extended travel and asked for some references to help with remembering/reviewing forms. They said the videos were helpful to them, but I have found them extremely helpful to me, to analyze where I am weakest and where I most need to improve. In fact, I would recommend that anyone of any style videotape themselves doing forms, then compare and check your own progress. It has been a great help to me, ..... and you can't beat the price!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninjamom the Dartfish DVD was out dated after the first year, too bad it was a great DVD but in the relm of competition and interpetation it is no longer of value, as far as other traininf devisus home movie of practice is always a great tool.

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have the ITF discs as well, mine say 2001 on them but that might be just the copyright date. I also own a set of white to black discs that are specifically done by our dojang that has the patterns and also a series of four direction movements that are included in our testing at all levels. I find the combo works well and there are very few if any discernable differences between the two. The only working difference is the "unofficial" discs go through the patterns in slower motion with the stances being named out loud so they are easier to break down and learn before it demonstrates them at full power.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used a lot of Sang H. Kim's dvd series from Ultimate Flexibility to poomsae. I also use US Chung Do Kwan poomsae dvd's for our poomsae.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the DVD is considered the final word on the form in the ITA. If you have any doubts, watch the form.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the DVD is considered the final word on the form in the ITA. If you have any doubts, watch the form.

Didn't the ITA recently change their forms? I'm guessing the DVDs were updated also, else it would be very confusing...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
DVD's would be great as a refresher, I think, and I've used them in the past. Although, they were what the instructor had done up himself. Just an idea as a training tool, and can be cheap if you already have a video camera.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Kacey, are you talking about the ITF training tapes that have GM Park, Jung Tae, GM, Choi Jung Hwa and some others demonstrating patterns? If so, I do find these DVD's very interesting from an historical standpoint (to see how TKD has developed).

I know Yomchi isn't with the ITF any more but I do highly recommend GM Choi's "Master Class" DVD, which can be ordered here: http://www.treniconline.com/detail.asp?c_urn=183&show=DVD&urn=3108&pg=1

A little pricey given the weakness of the dollar at the moment but it's a very good product. One thing I really like is that each pattern has a section where GM Choi goes over common mistakes that are made and how to do certain techniques correctly. Because of this, I do like it better than the Legacy CD-Rom's that were put out by Com-Do. I just hope that someday there are additional DVD's in the series as it only covers Chon-Ji through Choong-Moo.

Pax,

Chris

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey, are you talking about the ITF training tapes that have GM Park, Jung Tae, GM, Choi Jung Hwa and some others demonstrating patterns? If so, I do find these DVD's very interesting from an historical standpoint (to see how TKD has developed).

I know Yomchi isn't with the ITF any more but I do highly recommend GM Choi's "Master Class" DVD, which can be ordered here: http://www.treniconline.com/detail.asp?c_urn=183&show=DVD&urn=3108&pg=1

A little pricey given the weakness of the dollar at the moment but it's a very good product. One thing I really like is that each pattern has a section where GM Choi goes over common mistakes that are made and how to do certain techniques correctly. Because of this, I do like it better than the Legacy CD-Rom's that were put out by Com-Do. I just hope that someday there are additional DVD's in the series as it only covers Chon-Ji through Choong-Moo.

Pax,

Chris

I have the original Legacy set, which includes a very old version of QuickTime (the only one the videos will run on) - I'd have to pull them out to see who's on them, and I loaned them to one of my students who's getting ready to test for I Dan, so I don't have them right now.

Yes, I am with Yom Chi, and while I've looked at those videos, I just don't have the money right now; I just put new windows in my house. But thanks for the recommendation.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, when you said the DVD's were 15 years old I figured you meant the old ITF traiing tapes which were transfered to DVD a while back. They were originally produced in the DPRK and feature GM Park, Jung Tae and others. The Legacy CD-Rom has a variety of people performing the patterns such as Masdter Phap Lu, Master Clint Norman, Mr. Zibby Kruk, Mrs. Noemi Prone and GM Choi, Jung Hwa. The CD-Rom includes all 24 tuls as well as the encyclopedia, terminology and interviews with Gen. Choi.

I do wish the Master Class DVD had been a little bit cheaper, but got it as a Christmas present from my wife :)

Pax,

Chris

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Didn't the ITA recently change their forms? I'm guessing the DVDs were updated also, else it would be very confusing...

Yes, it was some effort to get the new forms down. The DVDs came a little later tho, it would have helped.

A lot depends on the camera angle if it is really helpful to study the form or just pretty to look at, especially when it about the little things, hand movements and positioning.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different art but no DVD for refresher HOW EVER i do use a viedeo on tape.

I have used a DVD to refresh my mind in regards to some of the Korean forms I used to do

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do find DVD to be a asset to one traing as a refresher only, I cannot understand how someone can learn an entire system from a series of DVD, without actual feedback during practice.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do find DVD to be a asset to one traing as a refresher only, I cannot understand how someone can learn an entire system from a series of DVD, without actual feedback during practice.

I agree Terry that dvd's are great for refreshers only. Not to spin off the thread, but I find that not having mirrors to check my technique is also a hinderance to my training. Actual feedback from a trained person is better. But not even being able to see myself throw the kick causes problems also.

Heck, when I watch a dvd, without mirrors, I do it perfectly every time. I'm just sure of it.:uhyeah:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Videos and DVDs are excellent tools, but they can't possibly replace an instructor.

For TKD, I regularly use the new Kukkiwon dvds and the TERC video series, "The Science of Taekwondo Fighting".

I have a number of other tapes and dvds on many other arts-some of which I've never trained in, but I like to watch how other instructors teach and the movements of other practitioners. I also like historical/reference videos.

Latest Discussions