Bowing=Brain wash

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by RyuShiKan

It's a good thing we have such an "impartial" moderator such as yourself on the job to keep us in line too. :rolleyes:

Mod's are allowed to have thier own opinions, kirk's not the only mod to voice his opinion. Why does his opinion bother you more than the other mod's opinions?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by fist of fury

Mod's are allowed to have thier own opinions, kirk's not the only mod to voice his opinion. Why does his opinion bother you more than the other mod's opinions?

Never said they shouldn't have an opinion but I think moderators of all the people posting should be more conscious of what and how they write since they are supposedly the "control factor" for threads.
A good example is Arnisador who tends to express his opinion when he is not moderating in a non-confrontational way that doesn't lead to flame wars and so on.

Don't you think it is kind of a contradiction to have a moderator that posts inflammatory type remarks...........the kind they are supposed to be moderating against............

Kirks posts have lead to several flame wars...........something he actually got suspended for wasn't it??????

Now let's get back on topic..............

OP
K

Kirk

Kirks posts have lead to several flame wars.

Hello Pot? This is the Kettle! You're black!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kirk

Hello Pot? This is the Kettle! You're black!

The only MAJOR difference is your a moderator that is supposed to be keep flame wars and such down to a minimum..........and yet you are one of the biggest flame starters here..............hell i think I will start calling you "sparky". :rofl:

Kirk you set a great example of what a moderator should be (sic)

If you want have an arguement with me about this take it to PM or email............but don't screw up this guys thread.

OP
K

Kirk

The only MAJOR difference is your a moderator that is supposed to be keep flame wars and such down to a minimum..........

Kirk you set a great example of what a moderator should be (sic)

First of all, there was ONE flame war, where as you've incited
multiple. Things can get out of hand at times, we're all human.

It's obvious you have a problem with me, and the way this
board is run. Why don't you just do you own thing and keep
me out of it? I feel sorry for your students.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

First of all, there was ONE flame war, where as you've incited
multiple. Things can get out of hand at times, we're all human.

It's obvious you have a problem with me, and the way this
board is run. Why don't you just do you own thing and keep
me out of it? I feel sorry for your students.

Just one..........yeah right..........

Like I said .............you want to discuss this take it to PM or email........

OP
K

Kirk

Just one..........yeah right..........

Like I said .............you want to discuss this take it to PM or email........

No thanks .. I'm not interested in an insult war. I don't think it'd
stop your compulsion with me one bit.

What style of m.a. do you study? I might hafta take it up, you're
a teacher in it, and so confrontational, unlike what I've been told
most Japanese styles are.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

No thanks .. I'm not interested in an insult war. I don't think it'd
stop your compulsion with me one bit.

That's obvious by your posts below.

What style of m.a. do you study? I might hafta take it up, you're
a teacher in it, and so confrontational, unlike what I've been told
most Japanese styles are.

I feel sorry for your students.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Judo-kid

I believe bowing slowly brain washs you in a sedle manner. I mean bowing to a flag a matt . Isnt it kinda weird if your from the us bowing to a kearon flag. What dos that have to do with Martial arts .

I don't know how bowing to another countries flag is in anyway connected to a martial art.........in fact I too find it rather odd.
But as far as bowing to photos of past teachers I can understand that. You are showing respect for their training and hard work they put forth so you could be studying their art today and they are worthy of respect for that.

.............you can still learn how to be respectful with out bowing try learning manors there is a start. and you dont have to bow that way.

I think too much emphasis is put on bowing and not enough emphasis is spent on manners and respect and where and how it should be applied.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kirk, Robert - If either of you wish to continue your 'disagreement', take it to email or PM or let it drop. Enough is enough. No smart *** comments, etc. Just go back to the topic.

Everyone else - please ignore the incendary comments and focus on the main thread.

Thank you.

OP
J

J-kid

I needed some questions answerd and they were thanks., I do believe kirk was trying to start somthing with MMA but i will stay away from his game. kinda child like to start stuff with people when you control the threads. :idunno:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I needed some questions answerd and they were thanks.,

All I can say is try to keep an open mind in the MA...........some stuff is good and some of it is pure BS.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"please ignore the incendary comments and focus on the main thread"

Now you tell me! ahhhhh my eyes are bleeding nooooooo.

Heh, I swear to God martial arts has the biggest ego's in it. I'm as guilty as anyone, I constantly struggle to keep my damn ego under control. Makes it hard for us (martial artists) to have discussions without getting our backs up.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
V

vincefuess

It DOES seem like BS sometimes, all of the protocol and etiquette in some training halls. I once left a school for that very reason. Some "westerners" get so caught up in the Asian "culture" that it transcends what is supposed to be taught. There ARE certain rules of etiquette that are universal for ANY training hall, however:

BOWING ONTO AND OFF OF THE TRAINING AREA/ MAT- This simply shows respect for those who have trained there before you, and for the wisdom shared in that area. No brainer.

BOWING TO THE INSTRUCTOR- Again, a symbol of respect for their skill, and their willingness to teach it to you.

BOWING TO YOUR FELLOW STUDENT- A show of respect, and recognition of the fact they are willing to take their time to help you/ and vice-versa.

Some of the things where I start to have some problems with are (and I am speaking ONLY about training halls in the U.S.- not abroad):

SPEAKING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE ON THE MAT- The skills being taught are hard enough without learning a second language. If the school is located in the U.S. and it takes U.S. currency as remittance for training, then the language is English.

BOWING TO ANOTHER COUNTRY'S FLAG- This is often regarded as showing respect to the land of the art's origin. I do not bow to the Japanese flag before driving my Mazda, which is also a gift from that land. I paid for them both in U.S. currency.

Now- let me clarify... If I were to travel abroad, and were to train in a dojo in Japan for example, I would follow their protocol without question, as I am a guest in their school and country, and I WILL humbly show respect for being allowed the opportunity.

This topic has been, is, and always will be a hard topic of debate.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess

SPEAKING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE ON THE MAT- The skills being taught are hard enough without learning a second language.

I would agree, however I would also point out that there are very good reasons for keeping the foreign terms in some circumstances... as long as the terms are explained and passed on with said explanations.

When the terminology gets too cumbersome, and gets in the way of the training, then it is time to reconsider its necessity...

If the school is located in the U.S. and it takes U.S. currency as remittance for training, then the language is English.

So if you are in a school in Oregon, claiming to teach Israeli martial arts, the teacher is of Native American descent, is married to a Chinese woman, has adopted Filipino children, and only accepts payment in Japanese yen, then what time does the train arrive at the station? :confused:

:roflmao:

Now- let me clarify... If I were to travel abroad, and were to train in a dojo in Japan for example, I would follow their protocol without question, as I am a guest in their school and country, and I WILL humbly show respect for being allowed the opportunity.

Interestingly enough, I went into a dojo here in Japan to train in Shuri-te karate... I told the teacher that I did not have a white belt to wear. He told me that he recognized that I was an instructor in my art, so he was okay with my wearing my black belt... :confused: Then, when we lined up, I took my place as the junior student in the class... and got promptly reprimanded for not standing next to the teacher!

Just to show that what you think is the appropriate thing to do may not always be all that appropriate... Go figure.

:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

I needed some questions answerd and they were thanks., I do believe kirk was trying to start somthing with MMA but i will stay away from his game. kinda child like to start stuff with people when you control the threads. :idunno:

I don't control squat. I wasn't trying to start squat, kid. Paste
my question in here, where was the insult? Go check previous
threads too. MMA'ers are always coming in here talking about
how it's the only way to fight, and how forms are useless, bowing
is useless, etcetera. I don't understand why people such as
yourself come to a board where most of the posters are from
traditional arts, and post this stuff. I TRULY don't understand.
That's like going to the Apollo and shouting out a racial slur.

I contend that it's NOT in the quest for knowledge of yourself,
or other grapplers, MMA'ers, UFC wanna bes. I think it's either
to stir something up, or to look for some kind of validation.
Most of you guys always have the same 99% of all fights go to
the ground line, and most fights aren't against multiple attackers,
street fights are just like UFC fights, etc.

So I still put the question to you. Why do you post such things?
Why come into a place where there's SO MANY "traditional"
martial artists and say such negative things? And all you MMA'ers
have the same rhetoric "oh I don't want to start anything". Yes
you do, c'mon! Be man enough to answer, and not follow suit of
other immature mud slinging.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
SPEAKING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE ON THE MAT-

In kitchens all over the world French is spoken as standard. For a good reason.

Dozens of people come to our Judo club every month from different countries, with little or no English.

No problem, the instructions are called out in Japanese.

Damian said -
Heh, I swear to God martial arts has the biggest ego's in it. I'm as guilty as anyone, I constantly struggle to keep my damn ego under control. Makes it hard for us (martial artists) to have discussions without getting our backs up.

Join an online chess club, and eat your hat. :p

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I don't control squat. I wasn't trying to start squat, kid. Paste
my question in here, where was the insult? Go check previous
threads too. MMA'ers are always coming in here talking about
how it's the only way to fight, and how forms are useless, bowing
is useless, etcetera. I don't understand why people such as
yourself come to a board where most of the posters are from
traditional arts, and post this stuff. I TRULY don't understand.
That's like going to the Apollo and shouting out a racial slur.

I contend that it's NOT in the quest for knowledge of yourself,
or other grapplers, MMA'ers, UFC wanna bes. I think it's either
to stir something up, or to look for some kind of validation.
Most of you guys always have the same 99% of all fights go to
the ground line, and most fights aren't against multiple attackers,
street fights are just like UFC fights, etc.

So I still put the question to you. Why do you post such things?
Why come into a place where there's SO MANY "traditional"
martial artists and say such negative things? And all you MMA'ers
have the same rhetoric "oh I don't want to start anything". Yes
you do, c'mon! Be man enough to answer, and not follow suit of
other immature mud slinging.

Sparky, (Kirk)

Take it to PM or email..............

OP
K

Kirk

Sparky, (Kirk)

Take it to PM or email..............

I'm sorry, did I in any way, shape, or form, address you in that
post?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm sorry, did I in any way, shape, or form, address you in that
post?

If you put it in the public forum, its addressed to ALL of us. Please let this go or take it to PM. You're not going to convince him, he's not going to convince you, so the argument is futile to begin with.

Respectfully,

Nightingale

Latest Discussions