Blocking useless?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What, that you're too lazy to click on the link and then follow the sub-links as you were directed to on more than one occasion?

To an irrelevant source as it is not in any sort of modern context. Old timey boxers had a different method than modern strikers.

Rules of course had not much to do with the change just time.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To an irrelevant source as it is not in any sort of modern context. Old timey boxers had a different method than modern strikers.

Rules of course had not much to do with the change just time.
I see that you've forgotten what you were arguing about. Typical snowflake. Let me remind you. The discussion was about why blocking was a viable technique prior to the full acceptance of MoQ and subsequent rules. The referenced book supports that statement.

Stop being so lazy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just a comment on "blocking". After work this past week I turned on TV and went to some ufc fights I taped. As I rustled up some chow and a cold beer, I came back into the room and one of the matches was on. Within three seconds of me watching, one of the fighters slap blocked a strike. Made me smile, it did.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think most of today's martial arts were intend ed for civilian self defense.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
i would say that most martial arts though out history have been for the purpose of civilian self defense, but i would hesitate to include todays martial arts in that category.
most martial arts are virtually unknown : Hawaiian, Lua ; Carniola fighting weapons of cudgels and war hammers, parogtukay of the Matigsalog to name a few.

"There are very few cultures that did not have weapons and the systems to use those weapons. those that did not , did not survive very long"
Donn Draeger

today popular martial arts are primarily Asian based and very modern. the exception is of course old Japanese Koryu and FMA.
i think the last hundred or so years has not been much different than today in the purpose of martial arts. we say they are for self defense but in reality they are more of a hobby. the amount of actual incidents of their use for self defense belies this belief in self defense.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I turned on TV and went to some ufc fights I taped

Did you use actual historically accurate tape and have to invoke the art of tracking (traditionally done in a semi prone position while swearing) or the more evolved option of hard drive or solid state storage though?

Because, y'know ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a comment on "blocking". After work this past week I turned on TV and went to some ufc fights I taped. As I rustled up some chow and a cold beer, I came back into the room and one of the matches was on. Within three seconds of me watching, one of the fighters slap blocked a strike. Made me smile, it did.
Are you trying to discuss the actual thread topic? This is MT, man!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use actual historically accurate tape and have to invoke the art of tracking (traditionally done in a semi prone position while swearing) or the more evolved option of hard drive or solid state storage though?

Because, y'know ;)
Well played.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

Because, y'know ;)

i believe all of Buka's "tapes" are the authentic Betamax with NTSC encoding and Azimuth recording. which he plays on the Sony LV-1901 console.
which he received as a gift from the guy who invented it back in the 1970's when they met in a snow storm and had lunch together at a local pub.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah it is a trump argument basically. For when you don't have can argument.

Just my humble opinion, but I would guess you would probably be expert on that. It seems demonstrated often in your answers. Could you try to make more sense in your replies? Please?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Many pages of off topic posts have been moved and placed into their own thread here: Weapon/Tool Development/Anthropology... Formerly Blocking useless?

The split should have happened much earlier, but unfortunately, the Staff members have lives outside MartialTalk. Please try to stay on topic, folks...

jks9199
Administrator

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The split should have happened much earlier, but unfortunately, the Staff members have lives outside MartialTalk.

Lives outside MartialTalk....say it ain't so!

You mean you're not here to overlook our serious questions about what's the definition of the word "definition" and moderate us as we argue over what actual arguing consists of?

Geez, some guys.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see that you've forgotten what you were arguing about. Typical snowflake. Let me remind you. The discussion was about why blocking was a viable technique prior to the full acceptance of MoQ and subsequent rules. The referenced book supports that statement.

Stop being so lazy.

No it really doesn't. As we have rules that allow small gloves, no gloves and grappling. And people still don't block in the old timey boxing method.

It was viable because the standard of boxing allowed people to get away with all sorts of stuff that they cannot capitalize on in modern or relevant combat sports.

The book is obviously wrong.

Big gloves. No grappling. And yet he is predominately blocking.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No it really doesn't. As we have rules that allow small gloves, no gloves and grappling. And people still don't block in the old timey boxing method.

It was viable because the standard of boxing allowed people to get away with all sorts of stuff that they cannot capitalize on in modern or relevant combat sports.

The book is obviously wrong.

Big gloves. No grappling. And yet he is predominately blocking.
Holy Cow.. That parry is done just like one of the variations of a parry that I teach. It feels strange to see it in this context. The body movement used to parry is different with the leaning but it's basically the same technique. I teach Parry as a redirect and as a Jam.

I don't know about that slipping the punch on the inside though lol. I guess at the end was the early version of 52-blocks

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Holy Cow.. That parry is done just like one of the variations of a parry that I teach. It feels strange to see it in this context. The body movement used to parry is different with the leaning but it's basically the same technique. I teach Parry as a redirect and as a Jam.

I don't know about that slipping the punch on the inside though lol. I guess at the end was the early version of 52-blocks

It was a huge parry though. From what I can see in general is people were swinging bigger punches. And so blocking.

You look at say mike Tyson and a block would not stop one hook let alone the ten he is hitting you with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a huge parry though. From what I can see in general is people were swinging bigger punches. And so blocking.

You look at say mike Tyson and a block would not stop one hook let alone the ten he is hitting you with.
Yeah, I have little doubt that my blocks would be mostly useless agains a Mike Tyson. I’d better be moving. Preferably at a dead run.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The parry that I use is not the soft parry that people use. It is a much larger parry and it's used against a jab. When done correctly it doesn't allow full extension of the jab. Your opponent could be mike Tyson strong and it would still work. If all of your energy is going forward then there is no resistance in the punch laterally. The only thing you have to be is fast enough. My parry is modified where speed is not such a major deal. You still need to be fast but not as fast as "quick draw of the punch.".

It's one of the techniques I want to share with gpseymour. It's also one of my better demo techniques where I feel comfortable with someone actually trying to hit me. There are very few techniques I would tell somone, "come on, actually try to hit me. give it your best shot"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The parry that I use is not the soft parry that people use. It is a much larger parry and it's used against a jab. When done correctly it doesn't allow full extension of the jab. Your opponent could be mike Tyson strong and it would still work. If all of your energy is going forward then there is no resistance in the punch laterally. The only thing you have to be is fast enough. My parry is modified where speed is not such a major deal. You still need to be fast but not as fast as "quick draw of the punch.".

It's one of the techniques I want to share with gpseymour. It's also one of my better demo techniques where I feel comfortable with someone actually trying to hit me. There are very few techniques I would tell somone, "come on, actually try to hit me. give it your best shot"
Parry and block are separate principles. If I manage a parry (usually my preference), power matters less. But with a full-on block,I don’t have the mass or muscle to oppose Iron Mike’s punch.