I want to learn martial arts

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member here. I'm thinking about learning a martial arts for fitness and self-defence. The problem is I don't know how to start. I've been searching on google for hours so I decided to find forums like this.

I just want to ask what martial arts should I try? I seeing too many kinds of martial arts.
Also, do you know some place in London where can I find a teacher? Thank you! :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start by finding out what's near you. You'll likely get a lot of suggestions as to what arts you should look at, but there are far more important considerations than the style/art. You need something convenient (so you'll have few excuses to skip class - that will matter), that you enjoy (so you want to go to class), and that seems to meet your goals of fitness and self-defense. Note that the last two are the last two on purpose. You could meet those with the right self-defense style (if their training is good and intense enough to improve fitness) or with a competition art (or even mixed - say, MMA).

Different people will prefer different approaches, so find a few schools that are near your work, home, or other haunts (or along the paths between them). Check out their websites and look for red flags - if you have questions about a specific site, we're happy to help look for what we think might be worrying or encouraging. Then go visit each school and watch a class or two. Imagine yourself in that class, and if you like that idea, take a sample class - most schools allow that either for free or for a small fee. Even if you have to pay for a month to try it out, that's worth it to find out if you like that school or not. Try more than one unless you fall in love with the first one.

Then post on Martial Talk like a fiend. That's a required part of any well-rounded martial arts experience.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome Marie_Flowers88! Ah that's fantastic, and very exciting for you, once you start you'll never look back! Good on you! I suggest you do a good search online for different martial arts in your local area, read the page's 'About' section to get a jist of what the style is about, give a few a call just asking what they're all about, if you like what they say and offer, I'd try a few out. Most offer a free class or two, but you can try a few more classes to see what you click with.

There are many many different types of martial arts, but there are none that you 'should' do. Whatever you feel you really resonate with, and I'd honestly look moreso at how you click with the instructor, their teaching style, and the class members. This is more important than style I reckon, you've gotta train at a place you enjoy and that has a great class atmosphere and energy. I'm currently in the trialling mode, having moved on from my previous style, and I'm doing exactly this, trialling out a style for a month or so and seeing what I'm drawn to.

Best of luck, am excited for you, don't hesitate with any more questions :) (although I live no way near London so can't help with recommendations!)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You won't get any concrete answers here. Yes there's loads but there's no best or worst either it all depends on you and what you enjoy. Just go to a few close to you and see what you think

OP
Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome Marie_Flowers88! Ah that's fantastic, and very exciting for you, once you start you'll never look back! Good on you! I suggest you do a good search online for different martial arts in your local area, read the page's 'About' section to get a jist of what the style is about, give a few a call just asking what they're all about, if you like what they say and offer, I'd try a few out. Most offer a free class or two, but you can try a few more classes to see what you click with.

There are many many different types of martial arts, but there are none that you 'should' do. Whatever you feel you really resonate with, and I'd honestly look moreso at how you click with the instructor, their teaching style, and the class members. This is more important than style I reckon, you've gotta train at a place you enjoy and that has a great class atmosphere and energy. I'm currently in the trialling mode, having moved on from my previous style, and I'm doing exactly this, trialling out a style for a month or so and seeing what I'm drawn to.

Best of luck, am excited for you, don't hesitate with any more questions :) (although I live no way near London so can't help with recommendations!)

Thank you for this. This is so useful. I'll start finding again classes near me :)

OP
Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You won't get any concrete answers here. Yes there's loads but there's no best or worst either it all depends on you and what you enjoy. Just go to a few close to you and see what you think

I don't need a concrete answer :) I need advises from people here because I know that people here know what I want and can answer my questions.Thank you :)

OP
Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Start by finding out what's near you. You'll likely get a lot of suggestions as to what arts you should look at, but there are far more important considerations than the style/art. You need something convenient (so you'll have few excuses to skip class - that will matter), that you enjoy (so you want to go to class), and that seems to meet your goals of fitness and self-defense. Note that the last two are the last two on purpose. You could meet those with the right self-defense style (if their training is good and intense enough to improve fitness) or with a competition art (or even mixed - say, MMA).

Different people will prefer different approaches, so find a few schools that are near your work, home, or other haunts (or along the paths between them). Check out their websites and look for red flags - if you have questions about a specific site, we're happy to help look for what we think might be worrying or encouraging. Then go visit each school and watch a class or two. Imagine yourself in that class, and if you like that idea, take a sample class - most schools allow that either for free or for a small fee. Even if you have to pay for a month to try it out, that's worth it to find out if you like that school or not. Try more than one unless you fall in love with the first one.

Then post on Martial Talk like a fiend. That's a required part of any well-rounded martial arts experience.

Thank you for this :) I've really found this one helpful. I will start to research again about martial arts and find some classes near me.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't need a concrete answer :) I need advises from people here because I know that people here know what I want and can answer my questions.Thank you :)
no one knows what you want only you know what you'll enjoy once you try it until then it's all guess work. If I tell you 1 thing and someone tells you something else what then? There's honestly very little advice to give apart from just go train.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this :) I've really found this one helpful. I will start to research again about martial arts and find some classes near me.

I can recommend a couple of MMA places in London if you decide that's what you'd like to. Have a good look around though as others say. :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member here. I'm thinking about learning a martial arts for fitness and self-defence. The problem is I don't know how to start. I've been searching on google for hours so I decided to find forums like this.

I just want to ask what martial arts should I try? I seeing too many kinds of martial arts.
Also, do you know some place in London where can I find a teacher? Thank you! :)
If only someone had written some sort of "Newbie's Guide to Martial Arts" which included topics such as "where to look," "how to look," and "what to do when I visit a school."

Martial Arts Newbie Guide, Version 2.1, Kirk Lawson

;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well, I could suggest my martial art, Hapkido. But how can I really advise you on any martial art, thinking I know what you want, when you don't know what you want? That's why so many are suggesting you visit different schools and see what clicks with you. There is no bad legitimate martial art. There are bad teachers and bad students. You probably don't what to be anywhere either of those dominate.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
See what's available in your area. (Detailed info already posted by others...)

Visit the schools. Look at the atmosphere, look at the schedules (no point signing up if they meet when you're supposed to be at work... and no other time, etc.) and the costs (no point signing up for what you can't afford...).

Then look at the atmosphere. Are these folks you want to do potentially dangerous stuff with? Emotionally and physically dangerous... If you like a strict, regimented atmosphere, you don't want to look at a school where the majority of practice time is loosely gathering, being shown something and sent off to experiment with it as the instructor wanders around. If you do like a loose atmosphere, you don't want to be in a place where the instructor holds almost military discipline, with everyone in perfect ranks, speaking only when spoken to, etc...

But, in the end, starting martial arts begins with a single step... Getting up, out of the chair. So go forth, learn and have fun!

OP
Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
See what's available in your area. (Detailed info already posted by others...)

Visit the schools. Look at the atmosphere, look at the schedules (no point signing up if they meet when you're supposed to be at work... and no other time, etc.) and the costs (no point signing up for what you can't afford...).

Then look at the atmosphere. Are these folks you want to do potentially dangerous stuff with? Emotionally and physically dangerous... If you like a strict, regimented atmosphere, you don't want to look at a school where the majority of practice time is loosely gathering, being shown something and sent off to experiment with it as the instructor wanders around. If you do like a loose atmosphere, you don't want to be in a place where the instructor holds almost military discipline, with everyone in perfect ranks, speaking only when spoken to, etc...

But, in the end, starting martial arts begins with a single step... Getting up, out of the chair. So go forth, learn and have fun!

I'll note this too. Thank you. Actually, I'm really thinking about that too. What makes a good instructor, the strict or the fun one :)

OP
Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I could suggest my martial art, Hapkido. But how can I really advise you on any martial art, thinking I know what you want, when you don't know what you want? That's why so many are suggesting you visit different schools and see what clicks with you. There is no bad legitimate martial art. There are bad teachers and bad students. You probably don't what to be anywhere either of those dominate.

I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding of my reply. I mean about that is when I already know what I want is that people here can answer my questions and give me advises atleast a hands up before my first training :)