Do you train against a real fight? ..punches/kicks flying fast and furious?

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mike,
I hear you mate. Of course I'm making generalizations too.
But they are generalizations based on years of training in and visiting various dojos and watching loads of martial art demonstrations.
The sad fact is that its hard to find a good dojo these days.

There are soo many people out there teaching fighting skills who have never experienced any kind of fight. It shows in their training methods.
They pass on this distorted perception of combat to unknowing students, who may not realize till its too late, that they really couldn't fight their way out of a retirement home with the skills they've been spoon fed.

It may sound like I'm having a dig at TMA but I'm not really. I think TMA can be very effective when taught properly. Its just that I dont see them being taught properly very often.

The point I'm poorly attempting to make is that I think its good to question what we're being taught. Dont just blindly accept every thing. Make the effort to test what you know under pressure and just be honest with yourself.
If you are being taught to throw a long combination of techniques at a partner who is just standing there frozen, maybe you need to think a little bit about just how realistic that is.

I understand SLs anguish because I felt exactly the same way.
The exasperation of comming to the realization that you've wasted years doing something that you thought was effective, only to find that in reality it just doesnt translate into good fighting skills.
Its a hard pill to swallow.

Im under the impression that 'those of us in good dojos seem to be the lucky exception rather than the norm. :(
It took me a long time to find one.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,
I hear you mate. Of course I'm making generalizations too.
But they are generalizations based on years of training in and visiting various dojos and watching loads of martial art demonstrations.
The sad fact is that its hard to find a good dojo these days.

Thanks for the reply. :) I think you're spot on with this comment though. IMHO, I think there are more people out there that cringe at some of the more 'violent' aspects of the arts, cringe at the contact levels, etc. This is a shame IMO, because the arts are going to have contact and they're going to cover the 'violent' aspects too. If someone can't handle it, they should, IMO, re-evaluate their training status. I'm not just speaking of SL in this case, but anyone who considers MA training. :)

There are soo many people out there teaching fighting skills who have never experienced any kind of fight. It shows in their training methods.
They pass on this distorted perception of combat to unknowing students, who may not realize till its too late, that they really couldn't fight their way out of a retirement home with the skills they've been spoon fed.

Very true.

It may sound like I'm having a dig at TMA but I'm not really. I think TMA can be very effective when taught properly. Its just that I dont see them being taught properly very often.

Nope, I didn't take it as a dig at all. :) In fact, I agree with you. :)

The point I'm poorly attempting to make is that I think its good to question what we're being taught. Dont just blindly accept every thing. Make the effort to test what you know under pressure and just be honest with yourself.
If you are being taught to throw a long combination of techniques at a partner who is just standing there frozen, maybe you need to think a little bit about just how realistic that is.

Agreed. Seems like it stops there, without ever reaching the 'what if' or resistance/aliveness phase.

I understand SLs anguish because I felt exactly the same way.
The exasperation of comming to the realization that you've wasted years doing something that you thought was effective, only to find that in reality it just doesnt translate into good fighting skills.
Its a hard pill to swallow.

I think alot of us have been there. I often sit and think, "Gee, if I knew then what I know now..." :)

Im under the impression that 'those of us in good dojos seem to be the lucky exception rather than the norm. :(
It took me a long time to find one.

Ditto. :) Whats really funny, is many of my best workout sessions were those backyard, garage dojo settings. Nothing formal, no traditions, just some good 'ol hard training.:ultracool

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Yes we all need to start somewhere....learn in steps, have to learn proper mechanics of punches and kicks...than combintions.

The question of training against real fighting? ....how can we do this without getting hurt or hurting others?

Some believe sparring, others full contact, some just Kata's,

NO two fights may be the same TOO?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Bottom line is if you get into a real fight for your life? ......than you may get a good answer?

BUT: if you do not practice or train very hard....or body is not fit? ....than the answers may change?

Most martial art class and systems will work...for the more develop ones....than again...the way you train is the way you will fight? this is were some of the answer will come to you!

It comes down to the person with the right mental strengths and Killer instincts.

People with NO formal training but huge "KILLER INTINCTS" .....NO FEAR...many times are tuff to beat!

............Aloha (train wisely....be smarter here)

PS: Adrenline and the fears by yourself facing a real life situations is very different from the DOJO's....this can effect the way you fight or flee?

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello, still_learning!

I understand what you are saying. BUT, I actually DID see a Kenpo Man do a technique straight out of the book in one of those "cage match" things one time. Now, I do not regularly watch cage matches, and I cannot recall why I was watching this particular one.

But, there was a Kenpo Man (American Kenpo --> GrandMaster Ed Parker's style). And, he did a technique STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOOK!

I am not lying. This may not happen often, but it did this particular time, and I saw it on film. I cannot recall who this Kenpo Man is. He was fighting against some gosh-awful big guy. This opponent was as big as a house!!! Okay, so, the Kenpo Man comes out, and does SLEEPER.

Now, Sleeper is a defense to the punch. There was no punch, and he did not follow through all of the technique. He stopped once the choke hold was on. He simply stopped, and cinched down. The Real Big Guy went out like a light bulb.

No joke. I saw it on film.

Now, surely no one is going to expect all of these techniques to work in a textbook way all of the time. But, sometimes you may be surprised.

Besides... what about this? You are attacked with some big right hand punch... okay, you do FIVE SWORDS. At some point you must consider... what if it does not work? Okay, well, at least you have both hands flying about. They may block SOMETHING. They may hit SOMETHING. They may rake SOMETHING.

You see, when you are doing Five Swords, at least you are not just standing there waiting to be a punching bag. Five Swords is not to be taken lightly. It is a very dangerous technique, very fast motion, many strikes packed into a short amount of time!!!

Aloha, still_learning!

Robert

Sorry but I laughed out loud when I read this. No disrespect intended but it is funny. Makes me think of inspector clouseau having a fight! Hey I might hit something if my hands are flying about! :)

Latest Discussions