Black Dragon

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm running into more and more people who have never heard of Black Dragon Kung Fu, even instructors. Has anyone here ever studied that particular system, or has anyone even heard of that system alltogether ?

7sm

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought I saw an article in a recent "Inside KungFu" magazine on it...dont have it handy so I cant verify.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure if it is the same Black Dragon Society but one by that name was involved in the Boxer rebellion and was nearly or almost nearly killed off . No I dont have the facts this is only hear say on my behalf from an instructor who said his
distant relitives where involved on the other side of the conflect.
He told me the story 20 years ago and he is no longer liveing so I am unable to question him on it.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is one of my problems. I have no idea of the Chinese name for it. I studied it when I was a kid, MANY years ago, and the sifu was very harsh, even mean. ( and I'm no advicate for easy classes!) I didn't really learn much of anything besides how to get my butt kicked! He went thorugh a divorce while I was studying and he locked the doors and made us "attack" him, until we were all on the ground!
I don't remember much at all, but I would liek to learn more about that system. He never would speak to us about it because we were "young and inexperienced". I ended up quitting and almost ending my study in CMA.
I'm not trying to bash anyone, I'm just VERY curious about this system since it is what I first studied. I'm starting to think he was sort of a McDojo, but he was very well versed in his sytle!

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey thanks alot! That was helpful. Thats pretty much what I've run into about Black Dragon. That was very helpful though, thanks a bunch!

I was just hinking, wouldn't it be nice if your job was researching MA and moderating post boards for MA and such!! = my dream job! You must realy enjoy what you do !

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No one is making a cent off of this yet, but maybe some day Amazon.com will buy it up and Mr. Hubbard will be filthy rich!

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HAHA...
But good luck with this site!! To risk going of topic.....This is probably the best MA forum I've visited. Keep up the good work!

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I'm running into more and more people who have never heard of Black Dragon Kung Fu, even instructors. Has anyone here ever studied that particular system, or has anyone even heard of that system alltogether ?

7sm
Well, I myself had never heard of it until about maybe a yr to a yr and a half ago. I've heard so much about this system that is not good ,but i don't have any personal knowledge on the style.

People i know that are CMA histroy buffs say it's not a legit CMA style ,but i guess that's depends on who you ask.:idunno:

jeff:)

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is a Black Dragon Kung Fu school in Portland, Oregon - Founded in 1988 by Sifu Charles Wilk.

Dr. Brett Jacques is also a black sash in Black Dragon Kung Fu, under Sifu Wilk.

-SB

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, mistake - WMAC brother instructors, not NSI brother instructors. However, from that website, Dr. Brett Jacques is " Black Sash in Black Dragon Kung Fu from Sifu Charles Wilk", as SenseiBear offered.

N

nlmantis

Sorry for deviating from this thread, but what does the term "Datu" mean, Datu Worden being one of 6 (in the world/system?). What country does it originate from? Thanks.