Immortals???

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was in an Asian import store today and was chatting with the owner, a chinese woman in about her late 50's. I was asking some questions and told her I studied Sil Lum Kung Fu. She asked for how long, I told her 2 years and she said, "Oh, so you are studying the immortals." then in a lower voice she leaned in and said with a nod of her head "we have some here".

Does anyone know what the ** she is talking about? Was she toying with me? I have never heard of such a thing.

Anyway, she ended up cutting me a deal on a beautiful reversible red/black silk kimono embroidered with a huge dragon and other symbols, which will be going under the Christmas tree to me from my husband. :D
It was $175 and she gave it to me for $95. :)

So...anyone hear of "the immortals" in Chinese culture or martial arts?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know much specifically, but I know there are at least 8 immortals in Chinese mythology, at least some of whom connected to martial arts. There is a Drunken Style link there, as well. Each of the immortals has a personality and characteristics, so their kung-fu and their drunken style each plays to those characteristics.

Watch Jackie Chan's Drunken Master Part I (no, not Part II, even tho I like that one better), I think they make references to the different immortals.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
8 immortals

Yes, they are represented in Shaolin styles, I believe...most famously the Drunken Immortal. There are also the 5 elders who survived the destruction of the temple.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually the "8 Drunken Immortals" are considered by in large related to the Taoist pantheon since they achieved immortality as opposed to the Buddhist streams of thought of reincarnation until becoming a Lohan or Buddha themselves. But the Buddhist & Taoist change characters in & out as easily as we do DVD's nowadays... :D

Each immortal has a quality or characteristic which many styles have represented in hand sets & more than one have claimed to exist as a stand alone style. The most common reference is not the stand alone sets but named movements in a combined set or sets.

The Taoist Immortals that people refer to as the 'Zui Ba Xian' or 'Joi Baat Sin' are (in no particular order) ...

--- Li Tieh-kuai
--- Chung Li Chuan
--- Chang Kuo
--- Lu Tung-pin
--- Han Hsiang Tzu
--- Ho Hsien Ku
--- Lan Tsai-ho
--- Tsao Kuo-chiu

The 5 Elders are different though. They were supposed to have existed during the the end of the Qing dynasty & spawned a multitude of CMAs used in fighting the Qing. However I've heard of at least two different sets & time periods of the "5 Elders" but the last group are the most famous...

--- Gee Sim
--- Ng Mui
--- Bok Mei
--- Fung Do Duk
--- Mew Hing

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool. See, I'm learning something new all the time. Thank you so much for all the info. I have lots of studying to do! I'm trying to learn more about Chinese culture and have been doing internet searches, but most of the stuff I end up finding is statistical info. instead of cultural beliefs and history. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.

:asian:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Watch Jackie Chan's Drunken Master Part I (no, not Part II, even tho I like that one better), I think they make references to the different immortals.

Indeed, Jackie actually performs the forms for 7 of the 8 Drunken Immortals ( he doesn't like doing the female form)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So what did she mean that she had some Immortals? Maybe somebody in the shop is a Sil Lum expert?? Or that she has some statues she wanted to sell you?

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
So what did she mean that she had some Immortals? Maybe somebody in the shop is a Sil Lum expert?? Or that she has some statues she wanted to sell you?

I have absolutely no idea... :idunno:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Most likely this is the case.

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought the study of the "Taoist Arts" was the study of how to become immortal. Similar to western "Alchemists" studied how to make gold from lead.

Could be a reference to Taoist elders in the area. Story is if one were to follow the Taoist Arts perfectly they would live forever. She was probably refering to local Taoist "preachers" in the area.

Or equally likely, she misunderstood what you siad and thought you meant something completely different. Have to take into account how good her english was.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I understand about Taoism this is the skinny [joke]:
Taoism is about finding enlightenment. Like with Buddhism. The major diff. is that Buddhist belief that after becoming enlightened, your Karma is destroyed. Taoist, you become immortal. Normally followed by going to heaven. One example is Yellow Emperor. According to Chinese legend he was the first person to rule any tract of land as king. He created China and eventually became enlightened and road a dragon to heaven.
Sil Lum is, in some way, related to Taoism (I’m assuming because of her comment). Buddhist belief says that the only way to achieve enlightenment is there some manner of meditation. Taoist has two ways. One is the internal elixir. This is using long hours of meditation, a proper diet, hours of training, and living a rituals life. The other is the external elixir, more or less a “magic pill” that makes you immortal. Us westerns, who tend to hate everything not made by a Johnson or smith, seek the external elixir. Whether or not we know it. Taoists seeking the external elixir accidentally made gunpowder, on a side note.
The comment on how there are immortals here probably means that she has statues, or there is an elder of Taoist faith. Or she could mean that there is some one near were you live that is considered an immortal. If so, train under that person, and become immortal. Then you to can ride a dragon to heaven [joke, but really]

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

And if any of this wrong, I'm sorry.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
very interesting.
glad to see folks had info on this.

Latest Discussions