Style Check

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of Black Dragon style Gong FU? There's a school in my area that touts this a the rarest of all rare GF styles.

Let me know. Thanks.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can’t back up this statement but I have heard that during the Boxer Rebellion that the black and White dragon clans(systems) warred on opposite sides and that the Black dragon group was almost if not entirely eliminated.

Many people claim to be teaching Black Dragon but I have not found one that can give a lineage back 100 years

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeti said:
Anyone ever heard of Black Dragon style Gong FU? There's a school in my area that touts this a the rarest of all rare GF styles.

Let me know. Thanks.
Nope... Dragon by itself isn't that common, rare even. Now you get somebody claiming it to be "the rarest of the rare"? Smells of bovine droppings to me...

Gotta website?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I studied a "Black Dragon" style as a small child, from what I remember it was just some generic karate with a really abusive instructor. I've found absolutely nothing on it (in a positive light) since then.

7sm

W

weepingpalm

sorry man, i doubt this system is too credible. like clfsean, and 7starmantis said, youre most likely to find that its just some fancy title rather than a good system. if by chance, were all wrong about this one, id love to hear what its all about. keep me posted!

OP
Yeti

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya those are my thoughts too. I may go check it out though...just to see. If I do, I'll definitely let you all know.

Thanks for the input.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen schools use that name, but I don't think they claimed they taught that styel--it was just a catchy name.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
THere is a dragon style ( a southern close range art) I dont know if they call themselves black dragon though

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
THere is a dragon style ( a southern close range art) I dont know if they call themselves black dragon though
Yeah... Lung Ying is special. Hei Lung ... nah... somebody watched too many movies, too many kung fu magazines & found some takers for their "rarest of the rare" line.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
Rare does not equal effective
Yes, this is such a common misperception--the rare arts must be the most deadly of all! Some may be rare for another reason...