Black Belt Magazine: An Observation

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was just reading Black Belt and got a little tickled about the irony between the articles and the advertisements.

What tickled me is the articles that talk about the 'real deal' MA, and not to train like a paper tiger, and make sure you get live instruction, etc... Then in between each of those articles, and many times on the same page they advertise the "Super Secret Techniques that will save your life CD/DVD from 20th Degree Grand Master Flash that you can learn in 15 mintues!"

(side note: I haven't counted, but I think there are at least as many advertisement pages or more than actual articles. Does anyone else find this frustrating?)

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Frustrating? It pi**es me off!

You'll almost always notice too that if someone is featured in an article in the magazine, there is usually also a big advertisement for their "stuff". It sems like BBM plays a "take a big ad, and we'll write a story about you" game.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current one has a picture of the JKD book within the article. Bias, anyone? It's pathetic.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a recent thread on martial arts magazines:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28101

Classical Fighting Arts and Journal of Asian Martial Arts are the only ones I am likely to buy, unless there is an article on something of very great interest to me. Occasionally that happens with Grappling magazine, as when my BJJ instructor's name appears in there.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Here's a recent thread on martial arts magazines:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28101

Classical Fighting Arts and Journal of Asian Martial Arts are the only ones I am likely to buy, unless there is an article on something of very great interest to me. Occasionally that happens with Grappling magazine, as when my BJJ instructor's name appears in there.

Thanks, Arni. I've been pretty disappointed in BB and Inside Kung Fu lately, as well. I'm still pretty new; but, most of it seems like cwap to me.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Icewater said:
I was just reading Black Belt and got a little tickled about the irony between the articles and the advertisements.

What tickled me is the articles that talk about the 'real deal' MA, and not to train like a paper tiger, and make sure you get live instruction, etc... Then in between each of those articles, and many times on the same page they advertise the "Super Secret Techniques that will save your life CD/DVD from 20th Degree Grand Master Flash that you can learn in 15 mintues!"

(side note: I haven't counted, but I think there are at least as many advertisement pages or more than actual articles. Does anyone else find this frustrating?)

Icewater I have given up on BB magazine and the whole be true to your Art they have. The greatest was a ad for learning the hidden truth to become a ninja in 20 minutes, my God people believe this crap.
Terry

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nanalo74 said:
Did anybody see the ad for "Ghetto Blocks"? Supposedly a system founded by an ex-gang member and prison inmate.

Vic www.combatartsusa.com

No, but I did see the system by the ex-prison guard. Just playing with ya! I've seen his clips and he's good and if he's made you senior instructor, I'm sure you're off and running on your own path too!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most of the magazines make there money from the paid advertisement. This is there main way to make money. That is why you will see many of these ads.

You paid= I will advertise for you.............Got money? anything can be printed.

The National average for sales of magazines is 60% actully gets sold in stores. 40% is return and dump. I work for a magazine distrubution company. That is why you will see many ads today.

Yes! Magazine is a very wasteful business.............Aloha

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
akja said:
No, but I did see the system by the ex-prison guard. Just playing with ya! I've seen his clips and he's good and if he's made you senior instructor, I'm sure you're off and running on your own path too!

Why thank you sir. I'm glad you enjoyed the clips.

As to the pay for play attitude in magazines. Hey, ad space is how they pay the bills so if you spend money, they will pay attention.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Belt was the first martial arts magizine that I can remember being printed in the USA. (I may be wrong about that )
At first it was a good magizine filled with information on those we now consider the founders of many styles. The tecniques shown where considered classic even then. As time went on the magizine started promoting whom ever was on top of the tournament circut, the the top PKA players, etc. Funding must have been a problem because over the years they started takeing adds from anyone who put down their money without takeing any consideration to what was being promoted, (very sad)

A once reliable magizine for information has now become a joke and promotes almost anyone who will buy add space IMHO

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Blackbelt Magazine has sucked for a long time now. The good old days are over for that rag. I don't even bother to give it a second look these days.

HKF

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Internette Killed the Magazine star. (ha ha) With sites like Martial Talk and others like it. I think MA Mags are just paper chasing paper.
Sean

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most of the readers of BB, like the people that buy the videos, books, etc, are not practicing martial artists. They mostly read and watch videos.

Like any marketer that knows what they are doing, they target thier market. They don't want to spend money on ads that are not going to be seen by people who buy thier product. So most of what is advertised in BB is going to be bought by people who know very little, look for flashy things over authentic and quality items, quick home study courses and the like.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only things worth reading in Blackbelt are the letters and the articles by Dave Lowry. Everything else is a cage liner.

HKF

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Icewater said:

Welcome to the world of advertising!! Its no different than commercials during a TV show. If they had all the commercials at the end, people would shut the TV off or change the channel. They'll have that 4 page article, which is split up thru the magazine, and include all of the things you mention inbetween. They have to find some way to catch the eye of the people that actually buy that stuff.

Yes, very much so.

Mike

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
The only things worth reading in Blackbelt are the letters and the articles by Dave Lowry. Everything else is a cage liner.

HKF

Some of it's kinda funny though. Reading stuff from Sifumasters that take up a whole page and manage to say only, "I teach real technique. Other people and arts do not."

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Icewater said:
Then in between each of those articles, and many times on the same page they advertise the "Super Secret Techniques that will save your life CD/DVD from 20th Degree Grand Master Flash that you can learn in 15 mintues!"

Hell yes..It seem every other issue there is a NEW system not available in the USA before..Frustrating is putting it mildly...

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nanalo74 said:
Why thank you sir. I'm glad you enjoyed the clips.

As to the pay for play attitude in magazines. Hey, ad space is how they pay the bills so if you spend money, they will pay attention.

I think that your product is well worth the money. Your Sifus skill is obvious. Lucky you. The apples usually fall close to the tree!