Biting

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I must say that some of the responses here gave me a smile and some made me say to myself "What?".

When I was instructing the few people that I did. I taught them that biting in any form or fashion was not only acceptable, but requiired and your fighting for your life, so anything goes right up front, not after they have you under control.

The chance of contacting aids through that method is slim and they have drugs to help fight it, if it should happen by some odd chance. We also need to during our training expel all the myths surround acquiring aids and teach/instruct our folks that their life at that moment is more important then worrying about some myth down the road. Here and now during a life threatening situation is what is important, not what might happen years down the road.

Just my view on it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must say that some of the responses here gave me a smile and some made me say to myself "What?".

The chance of contacting aids through that method is slim and they have drugs to help fight it, if it should happen by some odd chance. We also need to during our training expel all the myths surround acquiring aids and teach/instruct our folks that their life at that moment is more important then worrying about some myth down the road.
Not sure what myths you see here. For my part, as I said my info is probably severely outdated, but this seems to be a pretty sobering warning about any blood-to-blood contact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV_an...rvives_for_only_a_short_time_outside_the_body

Yes, losing one's life right now is as serious as it gets, but losing ones health, quality of life, and the prospect of leaving one's family in financial ruin while still losing one's life are also serious considerations. I believe that teaching my students techniques that have the high possibility of exposing them to HIV is far more serious than falling under the rubric of propagating a myth.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure what myths you see here. For my part, as I said my info is probably severely outdated, but this seems to be a pretty sobering warning about any blood-to-blood contact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV_an...rvives_for_only_a_short_time_outside_the_body

Yes, losing one's life right now is as serious as it gets, but losing ones health, quality of life, and the prospect of leaving one's family in financial ruin while still losing one's life are also serious considerations. I believe that teaching my students techniques that have the high possibility of exposing them to HIV is far more serious than falling under the rubric of propagating a myth.

Hello, You are right about contacting any diasese thru blood contact.

Anyone who gets into a fight or near a fight and someone is cut? ..the blood can fly anywhere....

Also if you get punch in the mouth and your teeth cuts his fist? ...and he bleeds in your teeth? ...guess what? .....?

Biting is just a technique....(could save your life)

In any fighting situtions....falling down,get hit, or banging into any objects can cause an open wound (lots of blood possible)....flying everywhere...

To say "biting" is NOT a good idea? .......maybe a wrong thing to preach!

Awareness...avoidance...walk or run away...? ....maybe the better choice here...

It is a good feeling to wake up each day....with a free and clear mind (NO problems)...

Aloha ( Ah coffee in the morning at home) ...not in jail!

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If my arms/hands were bound or trapped, and I've got nothing left, hell yeah I'd bite someone. I will do anything necessary to go home to my kids that night.

As for the AIDS scare.... I think people are focusing on the possibility rather than the probability of contracting AIDS by biting. It is definitely possible. Probable - Only if the biter draws blood, then only IF the biter has an open sore or cut in his mouth. Then IF the bite victim's blood makes contact with the wound and enters the bloodstream.

I'll take my chances and live today.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score

Kidswarrior - Let me clarify my view, when I answer on these types of forum, unless I specifically address a person by name, my views on are not directed at them specifically, but just a general overall view from me to anyone reading. I will in no way debunk anyones view for everyones view is important for the end result of (gaining knowledge).

I agree with the analogy that both ways are serious considerations, I was just pointing out that aids is not as easily acquired as previously thought, but is still a consideration to be taken into account for.

My view on the situation was to deal with the here and now, someone is attacking you, your life is in jeapardy here and now. If you start to worry about what might come down the road, then you could forfeit your life here and now. My view was just I know which one I will worry about right off the bat.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do teach my students to bite in cetain situations. Biting can be very effective when grappling weather your doing it to get out of a sumbission hold or weather your just doing it for the heck of it. When in the side mount you can bite your opponent in the side and cover it up where it can't be seen by an observer. Remember, there is NO such thing as a dirty fight. Whatever it takes to win is my philosophy.

blackrock

White Belt
Reaction score
Biting is a great move and can be extremely effective depending on how far you are willing to take it.

Some would only bite until they heard a yelp or the attacker let go. What if you decide to continue until you took a chunk of skin.

That kind of pain would be paralyzing to the one receiving that kind of bite. Probably not for a long time but it sure would for those few seconds that it happened and it would give you a serious mental advantage. I'm sure i would question the sanity of someone who just bit a chunk of skin off of me and probably wouldn't want to continue messing with them.

I think you get 2 small wins with that move. You distract and injure your opponent. Additionally, you make them lose confidence.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Only if I was hungry. Just kidding.

Anyways, you folks know it's possible to bite without drawing blood. You can just bite enough to cause pain without taking a chunk out. Especially if you don't use the incisors or canines (bicuspids?!).

Actually this got me thinking about another unorthodox method that I've *never* heard anyone really go into.

Tickling. Any thoughts on this? Is it just too weird? It's much less likely to draw blood and give anybody HIV/AIDS.

I can imagine watching a UFC, seeing someone getting mounted, and they cover their face with one arm, and tickle the opponent's stomach to distract with the other so they can bridge to buck them off.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Biting can cause bleeding....instead of tickling? ...Pinching?

Pinching can cause great pains and is an excellant technique for escaping!

Just make sure you do not pinch yourself? ...HUH? only kidding...

IN grappling and need a quick escape? ...PINCH!

Aloha, (my wife likes to pinch my ear...when I NO listen?)...impossible to escape this...)

greaterdeamon

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard rumor float round that you could bite an opponent, if put in the position where it appears to be the best option, by rinsing your mouth with strong alcohol.

I don't believe this is a good idea, if you got split lip and tired this, the damage to yourself is probably already done, but it was just a rumor.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tom and I looked at each other and answered in unison, "Tastes like chicken."

Gold.

though i would view it as last resort, many do not have such an aversion to biting. i can think of multiple instances in which i have seen biting attacks used, primarily to break grapples. like stilllearning said, some people are just biters, and that comes out in a fight. years back, one of my old sparring partners/rivals, who was a bad sort, had a falling out with his ilk, and in the ensuing fight, he bit off half the ear of one of his attackers.

many people have tried to bite me in the course of various sparring sessions. in most cases, it was mimed, but it showed that they had fallen to that 'level' and needed to use their teeth to try and escape. these where primarily adolescent matches, with only a few 'adults' trying this maneouver.

regards.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If someone else has a part of their body covering my nose and mouth so I can't breath I'm going to;

a.) Bite but not break skin
b.) attack a pressure point or nerve plexus ..... Hard

If you put something in my mouth it may get bitten off. Just sayn.
lori

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I'm about to croke cause the guys trying to kill me, sure I'll bite him.

Yes there is a very small chance of AIDS (if you have a ulcer in the mouth or a open wound from the fight), but then, if he has AIDS, the infection he gets from my mouth will kill him sooner!

Deaf

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would certainly teach the applicability of biting in a women's self-defense class.......the HIV/AIDS argument isn't really that compelling in a rape scenario where you're about to be forcibly exposed to that possibility anyway, in a manner even MORE likely to infect with HIV!

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find biting to be the single most effective grappling technique short of the ouch-pouch (I really hope it never comes down to combining the two). Last resort nothing! If the opportunity shows itself I consider it a potential fight ender. I've made the decision long ago that everything shrinks to a small point in a life and death struggle. Importance is relative and the fight is now. It's the psychology that really helps so growl or even scream like a complete nut. Put a pot roast in a T-shirt and practice up, them's good eatin'!

Latest Discussions