Billy Blank getting KO

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm, looks like he might have been sparring Super Dan Anderson.
First, this was in the 80's and second it was probably a "light" contact tournament.
Pretty sure it was a UK clash of the titan event (Billy Blanks is English you know). It was billed 'light contact' but was in fact pretty heavy. That said, as much as I dislike Tae Bo, Billy Blanks is only human.

His oppoenent is a UK guy, 'Contact karate' was his org I believe... I have the original video of this somewhere! Are you refering to Steve 'Nasty' Anderson by chance? If so, its definatly not him as Steve is not white!!! And its not 'Larry Kelley' either, who ever he is!

Stuart

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was that a crescent kick or a front hook kick? Looked like a very powerful front hook to me.

Whatever you call it, the end result is impressive.:)

Daniel

front leg heel rake or hook kick, was not a crescent I know that for sure.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was really impressed by the way he used the front hand lunge/jab to gauge distance and set up for the skip hook.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Stuart, if you read my previous posts I do mention that Steve "Nasty" Anderson was a big black man and that Dan "Superman" Anderson was a 150lb white middle weight fighter. Apples and oranges bubba. Please, I screw up enough with out any one helping me.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
dont think it was a hook kick

looks like the SIDE of the foot hits Billy's face. plus the leg stays straight, it doesnt hook back, still could be a hook kick

hard to tell tho cuz thats RIGHT where the friggin ref was standing

had no idea Blanks was english. must be the total lack of anything resembling an english accent............

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Stuart,
That's funny, I didn't know Pennsylvania was part of England. Seriously, I have known Billy since his days on the AAU USA Karate team. He's been a long time friend of my instructor and he is American, not British. He did fight over in England for some comps, though. Also, I'm pretty sure that it is Larry Kelly's hook kick that dropped him.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Stuart,
That's funny, I didn't know Pennsylvania was part of England. Seriously, I have known Billy since his days on the AAU USA Karate team. He's been a long time friend of my instructor and he is American, not British.
Just checked on Wiki and you are indeed right! Weird as I was told he was born in England but left for the USA arly on (Apologies to one and all for miss information)

He did fight over in England for some comps, though.
Maybe thats where it came from, I'm unsure now. The event looked like one of the 'Clash of the Titan' events run by MAI in the UK.. oh well! LOL

Also, I'm pretty sure that it is Larry Kelly's hook kick that dropped him.
Still dont know who he is, but as my info on him seems all wrong anyway, Ill bow out making grovelling apologies on the way.

Sorry folks,

Stuart

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me it looked like what we in MSK hapkido call a "front heel kick" which is the front leg version of a spinning heel kick.

It comes in at the same angle as (what we call) a hook kick (striking with the back side of the heel, not the side like a crescent kick) but is a straight leg kick whereas a hook kick pulls the heel toward the buttocks to end with a bent leg.

FWIW, I'm not much of a fan of open "light contact" tournaments as it seems like SOME competitors are allowed full contact while others are penalized for it.

Seems like someone ALWAYS gets KO or TKO &#8212; and it seems to me very much a "sucker punch" type situation when it is supposed to be light contact but one guy waylays the other.

Competitors betware, would be my advice :)

But: it WAS a pretty kick ;) I love the front heel kick; it's one of my favorites.

Dana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is definitely Larry Kelly (whom I know) and that is one of his hook kicks. Larry was rated in the top ten 3 years in KI during that period and he and Billy had a little bit of a rivalry. It was also in the US, not the UK

Dana