Billy Blank getting KO

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick KO Link

Now this takes me back to the tournament circuit in my memory, around New York State in the late 60’s early 70’s when I was a young pup.J
There was Monster man eddy, Joe Lewis, Jeff Smith, along with Billy Blanks, to name a few.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm, looks like he might have been sparring Super Dan Anderson.
First, this was in the 80's and second it was probably a "light" contact tournament. There was supposed to a modicum of control. I have seen Billy Blanks fight and have had him spar one of my players way back when. I have to say that at the time he was one of the fastest players on the point circuit at that time. I was at the top of my game at that time and would not have willing gotten into the ring with him, light contact or not. Fortunately he was way out of my weight class.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that is dan anderson landing the crescent kick to Billy's face.

Blanks was tough as nails, make no mistake about it

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure that is Dan?

Dan fought in the light weight/middle weight range.

I guess it could be for a grand championship. I will have to give Dan a call and find out for sure. It could be Larry Kelly or a couple of other guys. (they all looked alike :rofl:)

I had the opportunity to train with Billy way back in the day down at the Renaissance Center in Detroit. Also with Anthony "Mafia" Holloway. Billy was very good, explosive and in shape then and was fun to work with. Mafia was even better. (though later I think he had some serious issues in his life)

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely sure that it is Dan, not with out seeing if he was wearing the Superman logo. But with what he was wearing, dark pants and a light blue shirt, the hair, the hands on his legs and the method of his kicks, it sure looks like him. BTW, he, like the rest of us, has moved up a weight class or 2. :) I haven't talked to him in years, let us know what he says, OK?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely sure that it is Dan, not with out seeing if he was wearing the Superman logo. But with what he was wearing, dark pants and a light blue shirt, the hair, the hands on his legs and the method of his kicks, it sure looks like him. BTW, he, like the rest of us, has moved up a weight class or 2. :) I haven't talked to him in years, let us know what he says, OK?

Sounds good. It does look like Dan from the back side.
icon6.gif

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought Dan "Nasty" Anderson had blondish curly locks....kinda looks like Keith Vitali to me....I don't remember weights classes so I may be way off base...

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought Dan "Nasty" Anderson had blondish curly locks....kinda looks like Keith Vitali to me....I don't remember weights classes so I may be way off base...
Boy was I wrong..that should be "Super" Steve Anderson..........

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Boy was I wrong..that should be "Super" Steve Anderson..........
this is what I get for trying to rebuild a laptop at the same time as I post....
"Super" Dan Anderson is the curly blond guy I remember from the past....

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Considering that Steve "Nasty" Anderson was about 6'3", black and looked like a power lifter and Dan was about 5'8" and 150lbs, I can see that it was an honest mistake of misidentification on your part. :). Cecile Peoples and I got into a brawl up in Seattle one time, tried to kill each other on the mat and on the ground. Nasty was the center referee, all he said at the end was "great match guys, nice control". Ahh, the good times, eh? Nasty was another fun guy to watch.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I checked around and it is Larry Kelley in the video with Billy.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Larry Kelly huh? cool.

Nasty was fun to watch, but I was never that impressed with him. Loved watching him and Ray McCallum go at it.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every one can be KO, I was knocked out in a pum exam, and was with a spining hook kick I never saw. No matter you are the best fighter in the world a KO can hapen.

Manny

Latest Discussions