Best side kick I have seen on Youtube

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
This might help. When we use the term "pizza", are we speaking English or Italian? What about sushi. Am I suddenly speaking Japanese?
Suffice it to say at this juncture we will agree to disagree. IMO if an American and Frenchman are conversing in French in London, assuming the American's abilities with the French language are satisfactory, they are both speaking French. I will leave the great Pizza debate for another time.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I noticed with Karate, especially old school like Shotokan, is that they often bend their base foot like crazy when they kick which we don't do in TKD. It's bad for mobility and looks uglier
Did you mean Base / support leg?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The "Sir" thing comes from years of operating in a TKD environment that stressed "Courtesy" as the first and most important Tenet of TK-D.
Sure that makes sense if you were consistent. It seems like it's something you just started doing. Anyway, if you don't mind, I'd prefer you not call me sir. Thanks

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The "Sir" thing comes from years of operating in a TKD environment that stressed "Courtesy" as the first and most important Tenet of TK-D.

It can also mean that you are getting personal with someone in western culture. So it's probably better to leave it out

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or simply it was the way you were raised. Everyone is still sir or ma'am here, regardless of age, etc... Asking someone Not to be respectful is some kind of weird.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure that makes sense if you were consistent. It seems like it's something you just started doing. Anyway, if you don't mind, I'd prefer you not call me sir. Thanks
I've seen him call many people on here sir in the past just FYI, it seems just how he types if he's addressing someone specific. I've noticed because he's the only one who ever does it.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've seen him call many people on here sir in the past just FYI, it seems just how he types if he's addressing someone specific. I've noticed because he's the only one who ever does it.

I first thought it was just me.:(

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I told you guys that there's enough poor hip mechanics in Karate to last me a lifetime:)
_20201208_160510.JPG

I am not a black belt in TaeKwonDo and this is me inactive. I don't even hold my hands like this normally, that's how rusty I am.
_20201208_154825.JPG

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Although that one might be a back kick, (still poor mechanics)

Here's a side kick
_20201208_160415.JPG

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Give me a month to get back in form and they will name a street after me in that Karate school. And I'm low on the totem poll in TKD.

That's the difference in emphasis!

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing I noticed with Karate, especially old school like Shotokan, is that they often bend their base foot like crazy when they kick which we don't do in TKD. It's bad for mobility and looks uglier
Are you saying that the knee in the support leg should be locked? Straight? If you don't like it bent... what is the proper position?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you saying that the knee in the support leg should be locked? Straight? If you don't like it bent... what is the proper position?

It can be straight or slightly bent but not very bent.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It can be straight or slightly bent but not very bent.
Are you considering the video in post #1 to have a slightly or very bent knee? Same for the last two shotokan pictures... do you consider those knees to be bent too far?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you considering the video in post #1 to have a slightly or very bent knee? Same for the last two shotokan pictures... do you consider those knees to be bent too far?

No I don't.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to consider the dynamics of the two kicks. First he is doing the kick very slow to show technique. Naturally balance is more difficult as the slower speed so he is finishing the kick with a Slightly bent knee to show form and aid in balance. When he does the kick at speed there is little to no bend in the standing leg.
It still has much to do with the intent of the kick.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see you guys are still going at the side kick thing.

Latest Discussions