BEST DEFENSE – Kajukenpo? Your professional input.

TMAA

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I’m not too familiar to this style, coming more from a Hapkido and Kenpo jujitsu background so I think I found the right post to ask this question. I could always look for more on the internet, but I found there are a lot of scholars on these forums that can provide a more in-depth, personal answers.

Here is a video on Channel 6 (click on the remote to get to the channel), on the show Best Defense dated March 25, 2009
http://www.mogulsinc.com/Development/test.htm

How well does Master Libby Hill explain the “ABC’s” of self defense since she particular teaches young girls how to defend themselves against two, three opponents, and against men?

Sparring looks pretty good with the form and execution of techniques, what is everyone’s opinion on this matter?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I’m not too familiar to this style, coming more from a Hapkido and Kenpo jujitsu background so I think I found the right post to ask this question. I could always look for more on the internet, but I found there are a lot of scholars on these forums that can provide a more in-depth, personal answers.

Here is a video on Channel 6 (click on the remote to get to the channel), on the show Best Defense dated March 25, 2009
http://www.mogulsinc.com/Development/test.htm

How well does Master Libby Hill explain the “ABC’s” of self defense since she particular teaches young girls how to defend themselves against two, three opponents, and against men?

Sparring looks pretty good with the form and execution of techniques, what is everyone’s opinion on this matter?
That link takes me to Faithwalk, Channel 3...:uhyeah:

I see this is your first post on MT. Why don't you go to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself, then come back here and someone can help you out.

OP
T

TMAA

White Belt
Reaction score
That link takes me to Faithwalk, Channel 3...

That is the default channel, there is an interactive remote right of the screen, use your mouse to click on the number 6 on that remote which will take you to the show.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
umm..... what are we supposed to be looking at? I saw a lot of light to no contact sparring and kiais' that came from the throat. Did I miss the punching? All I saw was kicking.

Oh.. and welcome to MT. You're gonna love it here.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I've never seen a commercial Kajukenpo school before.

It doesn't resemble anything that we do either in terms of their self-defense drills, sparring or forms. We don't have black belts under 18 years old and we have a lot of contact. Even our kids hit each other harder than that video showed. Our sparring is continuous for the most part (unless we're geting ready for a tourney where they score points and we want to brush up ). Even if it is a point tourney, we go where they allow groin shots and aren't going to penalize you for hard contact (Like GM Bunda's tourney this weekend).

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is Kajukenpo different from Kajukenbo? I thought Kajukenbo already had a Kenpo influence, hence the "ken" in the name. Perhaps this Kajukenpo is more heavily influenced by kenpo?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is Kajukenpo different from Kajukenbo? I thought Kajukenbo already had a Kenpo influence, hence the "ken" in the name. Perhaps this Kajukenpo is more heavily influenced by kenpo?

Well, judging by that video, it's a lot different. Not really sure beyond that. You're correct that the "ken" in Kajukenbo is for Kenpo.

OP
T

TMAA

White Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't resemble anything that we do either in terms of their self-defense drills, sparring or forms. We don't have black belts under 18 years old and we have a lot of contact. Even our kids hit each other harder than that video showed. Our sparring is continuous for the most part (unless we're geting ready for a tourney where they score points and we want to brush up ). Even if it is a point tourney, we go where they allow groin shots and aren't going to penalize you for hard contact (Like GM Bunda's tourney this weekend).

I noticed the contact issue also, which threw me off a little. I’m use to the Kenpo jujitsu where there is only hard contact (it is not a point if the opponent does not feel it in a tournament).

What about at the end with the Master doing some self-defense against multiple attackers? Looks like the last guy took a hard throw.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score

The two are as different as oil and water. I believe kajukenPo is more Okinawan. But don't quote me on that. Although, they do have a small tie back to KajukenBo.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The two are as different as oil and water. I believe kajukenPo is more Okinawan. But don't quote me on that. Although, they do have a small tie back to KajukenBo.

That's basically what it is. Kajuken-PO was founded by Algene Cauralia. He quit Kajuken-BO as a brown belt, and continued training with Robert Trias in Okinawan karate.
Most of the techniques are Okinawan based, and the katas are Okinawan. Kajuken-PO is not affliated with any of the Kajuken-BO associations. It was USKA until Trias passed away. Now it's KI.

Here's some Kajuken-BO sparring:

Last edited by a moderator:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's basically what it is. Kajuken-PO was founded by Algene Cauralia. He quit Kajuken-BO as a brown belt, and continued training with Robert Trias in Okinawan karate.
Most of the techniques are Okinawan based, and the katas are Okinawan. Kajuken-PO is not affliated with any of the Kajuken-BO associations. It was USKA until Trias passed away. Now it's KI.

You sure that was Kajukenbo? I mean...they were wearing gloves. :uhyeah:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

It is not like the Kenpo I train in. We have a bunch more contact, in every aspect of the training.

It may be influenced by someone claiming to have an Okinawan background, but it is NOT like what we do in my classes. I don't even want to wager what has influenced it. Trias changed so much, it ceased to be Okinawan and became Arizonan.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Now THAT is some hardcore sparring!!! 2 thumbs up!!!! :)

Latest Discussions