Kenpo Jujitsu? Is this the original art of Kenpo?

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
actually, Parker didnt bump Elvis from 1st to 8th

there are tons of pictures of elvis wearing his 5th, 6th and 7th degree belts. Oddly, there are no pics of him hearing his 8th.....

Hello,
Again... Not taking anything away from Elvis. Truly a legitimate 1st black. But he was "bumped" through all of the ranks from 1st to 8th. I saw a photo of him in his 8th belt. He did do quite a bit for Kenpo. The true meaning of 8th Dan is "important person in the art" from the Japanese standpoint. He truly was an important person in Kenpo. :)

My intent with my post was to clarify that just because someone promotes a celebrity, does not make them dishonest or a fraud. I had the comment about Rick Nelson in mind. And, hey... Didn't Jhoon Rhee promote Richard Nixon to 7th or 8th degree?

Thank you,
Milt G.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First I also knew Ed Parker slightly, I met him at Bruce Tegner's school on a few occasions, He never said that in front of Bruce or I, So therefor you are saying he was a back stabber, Sorry, The Ed Parker I knew was a stand up guy, As far as The Tracys, They were good at selling karate school franchise's, On the Tracy's website thy state, "Bruce tegner was ridiculed for giving Rick Nelson a black belt," While stating that Ed Parker was responsible for Elvis getting a Black Belt in karate, Bull, Elvis's belt was given before Ed was in the picture, And their knowledge of bruce Tegner or Rick Nelson was very limited if not nonexistent. And as far as Doc, I have very little knowledge of him, As at the time I had no knowledge of him, In fact outside of the kenpo world I still have no knowledge of him, Only in this thread have I ever heard of him mentioning Bruce.

What I have heard Al Tracy say about Bruce Tegner was that Tegner was the object of ridicule, but his books were at least partially responsible for the karate boom of the 70s.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I have heard Al Tracy say about Bruce Tegner was that Tegner was the object of ridicule, but his books were at least partially responsible for the karate boom of the 70s.
Al was right, and his books are still the most widely available and read. Ed Parker even invited him to the first IKC over the objections of most. Mr. Parker calmed Oshima down by telling the crowd of angry traditionalist masters, "How is anybody going to know how good you are, unless they have something to compare you with?"

Notoriety and skill are mutually exclusive. Many actors and "wannabe's" contributed to the boon in the marketplace, by "acting" martial arts in film. Even though James Coburn ultimately ended up with Bruce Lee, did he do anything in any of the "Derek Flint" moves that looked remotely legit? Or Dean Martin's Matt Helm series? :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,
Again... Not taking anything away from Elvis. Truly a legitimate 1st black. But he was "bumped" through all of the ranks from 1st to 8th. I saw a photo of him in his 8th belt. He did do quite a bit for Kenpo. The true meaning of 8th Dan is "important person in the art" from the Japanese standpoint. He truly was an important person in Kenpo. :)

My intent with my post was to clarify that just because someone promotes a celebrity, does not make them dishonest or a fraud. I had the comment about Rick Nelson in mind. And, hey... Didn't Jhoon Rhee promote Richard Nixon to 7th or 8th degree?

Thank you,
Milt G.
Legitimate educational institutions are notorious for giving out honorary doctorates to celebrities and big money donors. ALL OF THEM, Duh!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Legitimate educational institutions are notorious for giving out honorary doctorates to celebrities and big money donors. ALL OF THEM, Duh!

Yeah, but it was one helluva way to get Billy Joel to speak at my graduation :D

Plus my school only offered undergrad degrees so an honorary doctorate wasn't really taking rice out of anyone's bowl.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but it was one helluva way to get Billy Joel to speak at my graduation :D

Plus my school only offered undergrad degrees so an honorary doctorate wasn't really taking rice out of anyone's bowl.

Hello,

The proper, and most often used, reason for honorary degrees in academia, I think.

And... Billy Joel is not dumb... Somehow he "earned" his way into his and Elton John's "Face to Face" tour... The most lucrative tour these days, it is said. :)

Thanks,
Milt G.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score

Why, certianly, you must not be refering to bogus arts that "Just give Rank if you have alot of money"
LOL!!!!!

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I would think that the "Kenpo-JiuJitsu" of James Mitose is the original art of the Kenpo most of us now study. From a lineage standpoint, anyway.

Of course, it has been through the "sieve" so many times and for so long that it holds little resemblence to the original art that Mitose taught to William Chow, etc...

Heck... I know students that perform "their" Kenpo differently then their own teachers Kenpo... The "variations" can be endless.
Go figure... :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello,

I would think that the "Kenpo-JiuJitsu" of James Mitose is the original art of the Kenpo most of us now study. From a lineage standpoint, anyway.

Of course, it has been through the "sieve" so many times and for so long that it holds little resemblence to the original art that Mitose taught to William Chow, etc...

Heck... I know students that perform "their" Kenpo differently then their own teachers Kenpo... The "variations" can be endless.
Go figure... :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

rare that i can agree with an entire post