Universal Kempo?

Getti88I

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm an Aikido student who wants to work on my striking, there's a Kajukenbo school where I live, it's part of Universal Kempo, but I'm wary because there are like 20 Universal Kempo schools in my state, is Unviversal Kempo a reputable organization?

Thanks for helping a new guy

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Universal Kempo schools are not Kajukenbo schools. They have early roots in Kajukenbo, but are not affiliated with any Kajukenbo organization. Their system founder/head is Martin Buell. The style name is "Universal Kempo".

There are a few Kajukenbo schools in Colorado.

WORLD KARATE CENTER
15353 E HINSDALE CIRCLE #A
CENTENNIAL, CO 80112
303-766-9449

www.worldkaratecenter.com

Rocky Mountain Kajukenbo
Sifu Sam Carter
11343 Newland St.
Westminster CO.
Ph: 720-434-3908

Nubreed Martial Arts Systems
Denver, Colorado
Instructor: Sifu/Guro Ben Fajardo
7th Degree Black Belt
Styles and Systems taught:
Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do, Jeet Kune Do Concepts, Pentjak Silat, Kali Silat, Combat Jiujitsu/Grappling.

Instructor under: Grandmaster Al Dacascos, Richard Bustillo, John Daniels, Grandmaster Jerson Tortal,
Chief instructor under Grandmaster Leo T. Gaje Pekiti Tirsia
for more information contact Ben Fajardo at 72435-6098 or email me

http://communities.msn.com/nubreedmartialarts

Loveland Martial Arts Academy
285-B East 29th Loveland, CO 80537
970 593 1965

www.lovelandmartialarts.com

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm an Aikido student who wants to work on my striking, there's a Kajukenbo school where I live, it's part of Universal Kempo, but I'm wary because there are like 20 Universal Kempo schools in my state, is Unviversal Kempo a reputable organization?

Thanks for helping a new guy
Check it out and let us know what universal Kempo is like.
Sean

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Nubreed Martial Arts Systems
Denver, Colorado
Instructor: Sifu/Guro Ben Fajardo
7th Degree Black Belt
Styles and Systems taught:
Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do, Jeet Kune Do Concepts, Pentjak Silat, Kali Silat, Combat Jiujitsu/Grappling.

Instructor under: Grandmaster Al Dacascos, Richard Bustillo, John Daniels, Grandmaster Jerson Tortal,
Chief instructor under Grandmaster Leo T. Gaje Pekiti Tirsia
for more information contact Ben Fajardo at 72435-6098 or email me

http://communities.msn.com/nubreedmartialarts

I think Ben is back in Rock Springs, WY now.

OP
G

Getti88I

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks but if Universal Kempo is a good art I'd rather do that because it's closer to me, does anybody have any thought/experiences that can vouch for the school's instruction quality?

Thanks

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks but if Universal Kempo is a good art I'd rather do that because it's closer to me, does anybody have any thought/experiences that can vouch for the school's instruction quality?

Thanks

It's a solid system, but like most systems the training's only as good as the individual instructor. Most of the Colorado schools are branch schools under Garland Johnson. He has a good reputation, but you'll have to visit the school your interested in and check out that instructor. The best judge for what's good for you, is you. So go watch some classes.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first art was Universal kempo. I trained in it for about 2 years. As has been said, the art is only as good as the instructor. I CAN tell you that out here in Virginia there's a ton of politics associated with the art but that the art itself is solid. My biggest beef with UK was the way that black belt testing was done. Once a year you had a gathering in Vegas and everyone that was eligible to test for black did so there. It was pricey and if you didn't pass you waited another year and paid/tried again.

Oddly enough, I was a Universal kempo guy that swapped to aikido about 6 years ago. I enjoyed my kempo training and it has, indeed, helped my outlook on making aikido a more effective art.

OP
G

Getti88I

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the help, I'll check it out but I'm a lot more confident now thanks to you guys, I'll never give up Aikido but I have a lot of respect for all the arts born from William Chow's teaching style, I think Universal Kempo will do a fine job sharpening my Aikido.

OP
G

Getti88I

White Belt
Reaction score
What makes Universal Kempo different style wise, what's its approach?

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I currently study Universal Kempo, and i love it. As has been siad earlier, it has roots in Kajukenbo. There are elements of the same five arts that made Kajukenbo. I feel that studying Universal Kempo has definitely been worth my while.

Latest Discussions