First workout

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I had my first Kaju workout on Friday.

Sigung Vickers came up to my school, with one of his BB's. We worked out for a couple hours and then he watched my normal friday night class.

We worked on grab arts, tricks/punch counters, and Form 1 quite a bit.

ok, first impressions:

Sigung Vickers is GOOD. He moves like he has been doing this his entire life, and he is awesome at teaching the finer points of the techniques.

Lots of contact. Not for the faint of heart. Good thing I was wearing a cup, since damned near all the techniques include groin shots.

After thinking about it for the rest of the weekend, I think I may have found a new home.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear TF, glad you found a home. I would invest in a few more cups, we have broken each others' cups in class.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Always the first question I ask to beginners: "You have a cup?" There are some that forget to bring it to the next class and we find out the hard way that they didn't wear it. Hard for them that is :)

Another thing is that people sometimes tell us: "Wow you guys are going pretty hard!" To which we reply, "Not yet we're not. But since you're a beginner, we're taking it easy on you for now."

That's why there are several Kajukenbo guys that are also Dog Brothers. Their motto "Higher Learning Through Harder Contact." could just as easily apply to us.

Last edited:

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a man of my word, I still volunteer Danjo to "lei" you into the Ohana officially! LOL

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hear ya. One of the things Sigung told me friday during our workout was "make more contact" and when i reviewed the tape we made of the workout, you can quite clearly hear the cup shots.

Over all? I am a very happy and excited guy right now.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
And that is only the beginning my friend. Soon enough you will hear sounds like ribs fracturing and the air rushing out of your body when you take a solid vertical punch in your solarplexus. Ahhh......good times!
icon12.gif

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure your time in Kajukenbo will be well spent. It's a wonderful martial art with strong fundamentals that has turned out lots of excellent fighters.

MikeRitche

White Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great intro to Kajukenbo. :ultracool And if the technique doesnt have a groin shot in it, you can usually add a couple if you want. Just to show a little more love:D I have had two cups break, fun times lol

Latest Discussions