Best combo for street self defence

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another is the ban on leg grabs.

Which I think is statistically the most successful throw in combat sports.

By the way. Kabibs takedowns.

Last edited:
OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hard to clinch enter in to striking. Unless your striking is really good or you can grab a gi. Basically you have to go through the middle of someone striking zone.

Then you have a lot of turning your back and getting potentually choked out issues.

It is a long complex route to do what could be done with a double leg easier and safer. And wrestling has hip tosses. So if you do want to judo throw someone you still can.

As far as kabib goes there is a cultural argument as well.

The majority of successful grappler in the ufc are wrestlers.

And there are many more wrestlers who understand how to make grappling work from UFC and almost by default self defence.
The cultural argument is very true, same as in mauy Thai, in Thailand and Dagestan these kids are taken at a very young a and train like Spartan warriors, it’s 24 7 constant competition in an environment that’s tough and Spartan, compare that to my kids who train for an hour then play Xbox, eat cocholate and sleep in a comfy bed. Imagine if the Japanese took their kids and handed then to a karate dojo at 7 and left them their to train like that, you go up against a grown man with that thoughness inside I think karate would kick *** a lot more, however as for comparing bjj and judo outside and I mean no kicks or punching just grappling. Look at the way they train, bjj often start on the ground and take a slow methodical approach. Judo always starts standing with aim aim of throwing, with the new rules of competition judo which punish those who don’t attack it makes it a fast aggressive explosive style, fun to watch but that’s also what you want in a street fight.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Can we stop with the "it's all the individual" stuff? That is complete nonsense.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Can we stop with the "it's all the individual" stuff? That is complete nonsense.

@Steve
Could you explain your reasoning here, because IMO, it is not nonsense, combining two styles for a street combo will not work the same for every "individual". And for some "individuals" it may not be necessary at all.

Also I went through all 5 pages of this thread and only saw that statement used once.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
@Steve
Could you explain your reasoning here, because IMO, it is not nonsense, combining two styles for a street combo will not work the same for every "individual". And for some "individuals" it may not be necessary at all.

Also I went through all 5 pages of this thread and only saw that statement used once.
He has a point though, some styles are superior, put the bast aikido guy in the world against the best mauy Thai guy in the world, we all know who’s going to win, or aikido vs bjj, same result

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
@Steve

I'd say it's some the individual, but garbage in, garbage out. An exceptional chef can make unhealthy food taste good, but can't make unhealthy food more nutritious. If it's intrinsically unhealthy, no amount of skill, dedication, or aptitude will change that.

Regarding the number of times it has been said, I honestly don't know and wasn't counting. It's bunk that is shared often to justify junk food martial arts training models. In my opinion. :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Learning your wrong is the best thing because then you learn something new and valuable, I’m always happy to be shown that my beliefs are wrong, fam are useful especially in the Philippines, I lived there for a few years and they don’t take prisoners there so weapons training there is definitely useful, luckily now back in my home country where we don’t have guns and it’s a sign of weakness to use a weapon so I’ve never had to face that situation, if I ever moved to a country where this wasn’t the case then yeah I’d probably look at everything from guns to baseball bats. But in a street fight training in anything like boxing mauy Thai wrestling I believe is better because you really get accustomed to hitting moving and being hit, as far as I know self defence technique is not taught with this level of cause the damage caused would be too traumatic
Yes the Philippines can be safe and it can be bricks ( actually saw it start as I was riding away in a cab ) and even blades from history so could happen.

I am just saying that if you ignore weapons you are ignoring a major section of self defense.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'd say it's some the individual, but garbage in, garbage out. An exceptional chef can make unhealthy food taste good, but can't make unhealthy food more nutritious. If it's intrinsically unhealthy, no amount of skill, dedication, or aptitude will change that.

Regarding the number of times it has been said, I honestly don't know and wasn't counting. It's bunk that is shared often to justify junk food martial arts training models. In my opinion. :)

But not all individuals are the same.... not all can do BJJ or Muay Thai.... some are tall, some are short, some re male some are female....so therefore they are not able to defend themselves, is that what is being put forth here? I sure s heck can't do Japanese Jujutsu these days at all, but I use to be pretty good at it....

I can get the same quality steak to make a dish and then the chef makes the difference...but people, individuals, are not steak or controllable products.... no two humans are the same, so therefore, IMO, no to combined arts will work the same for everyone, therefore the individual matters

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well if you havent actually tried all of the foods or chefs then your blanket statements are objectively bunk as well. Maybe you as the individual are beyond any training because you already “know” about things you have no experience with. That is a lofty place indeed that you cast your opinions from. Please enlighten me about my junk food martial arts training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He has a point though, some styles are superior, put the bast aikido guy in the world against the best mauy Thai guy in the world, we all know who’s going to win, or aikido vs bjj, same result
Once again I find myself in disagreement with you.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another is the ban on leg grabs.

Which I think is statistically the most successful throw in combat sports.

By the way. Kabibs takedowns.

I agree that leg grabs are incredibly effective. What I worry about is knee injuries while training. In the local Carlson Gracie BJJ school, white belts taking down white belts have caused a few serious knee injuries. I’m wary of rolling with other white belts and even one particular blue belt for that exact reason. I really don’t know much about it, but having seen it happen, I don’t want any knee damage in my fifties. Call me chicken, but I will like to keep my drumsticks intact.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But not all individuals are the same.... not all can do BJJ or Muay Thai.... some are tall, some are short, some re male some are female....so therefore they are not able to defend themselves, is that what is being put forth here? I sure s heck can't do Japanese Jujutsu these days at all, but I use to be pretty good at it....

I can get the same quality steak to make a dish and then the chef makes the difference...but people, individuals, are not steak or controllable products.... no two humans are the same, so therefore, IMO, no to combined arts will work the same for everyone, therefore the individual matters
That’s all true. It’s not a zero sum thing. That’s the entire point.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well if you havent actually tried all of the foods or chefs then your blanket statements are objectively bunk as well. Maybe you as the individual are beyond any training because you already “know” about things you have no experience with. That is a lofty place indeed that you cast your opinions from. Please enlighten me about my junk food martial arts training.
You don’t have to try a food to know objectively whether it is healthy or not.

And before people get upset, i have no agenda abiut one style over another. Do what floats your boat. But we can objectively say that some training models work and some do not. In the same way you may like Fritos and I may not. But we can objectively agree they are not all that good for you.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don’t have to try a food to know objectively whether it is healthy or not.

And before people get upset, i have no agenda abiut one style over another. Do what floats your boat. But we can objectively say that some training models work and some do not. In the same way you may like Fritos and I may not. But we can objectively agree they are not all that good for you.
That’s a round about way of saying your opinion is true, even if you know absolutely nothing about the training models that you denigrate. It is rather cowardly and obviously ignorant. You DO in fact have an agenda, it is obvious as this is not the first time you throw insults like that into a conversation. You are fully aware of what are doing when you make those blanket statements. If you so stridently believe such things, then have the courage of your convictions and give examples of humans and training models instead of analogies to coffee or food which nothing to do with the thread topic. If you have nothing of value to add to the conversation, I invite YOU to stop inciting arguments if you claim to have no skin in the game or individual agenda. We have all read your posts, you need a new dead horse, this one is dust.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That’s a round about way of saying your opinion is true, even if you know absolutely nothing about the training models that you denigrate. It is rather cowardly and obviously ignorant. You DO in fact have an agenda, it is obvious as this is not the first time you throw insults like that into a conversation. You are fully aware of what are doing when you make those blanket statements. If you so stridently believe such things, then have the courage of your convictions and give examples of humans and training models instead of analogies to coffee or food which nothing to do with the thread topic. If you have nothing of value to add to the conversation, I invite YOU to stop inciting arguments if you claim to have no skin in the game or individual agenda. We have all read your posts, you need a new dead horse, this one is dust.
Jesus Christ. Chill out. If you don’t agree you can ignore me, disagree politely, or just move on. Your post is inappropriate. I’m not sure why you’re so upset, but clearly a nerve has been struck. Take a beat and try again when you are able to chat like an adult.

But before responding, go back and reread my post and respond to what’s there and not whatever you have going on in your imagination.

Latest Discussions