Self defence tips - How to avoid getting attacked in the first place

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you do that in the US? I would have thought it would invalidate your licence as primary ID. Then here it is only police that can demand to see your licence. Anyone else can only request. :asian:

It may vary from state to state, but I have been doing this for years without issue. My identity does not change, and the fact that I receive mail at the address listed makes the address legitimate. The registry of motor vehicles still has my physical address on file (I'm pretty sure LE can see it through their computer), and of course to get a license to begin with I still have to show appropriate proof of residency that demonstrates where in the state I physically live.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The mail box service offers an added bonus -- there's always someone to sign for my packages and keep them safe until I can pick them up. No sticky notes left on the door, no boxes left outside...

szorn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Safety tips generally fall under the category of "awareness" which is one of the most important aspects to avoiding and escaping violence. However, THE most important aspect is having the appropriate Mind-Set, the mental preparation for dealing with violence. Those with the appropriate Mind-Set generally appear to be hard targets to the predators out there. Having the Mind-Set automatically increases levels of awareness but having awareness doesn't automatically give the person the appropriate Mind-Set. The Mind-Set has to come first. Unfortunately, Mind-Set is not like safety tips, we can't just give it to people. We can give them the proper steps to building that Mind-Set but they will have to make the decision to do it through those steps themselves.

Steve

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Safety tips generally fall under the category of "awareness" which is one of the most important aspects to avoiding and escaping violence. However, THE most important aspect is having the appropriate Mind-Set, the mental preparation for dealing with violence. Those with the appropriate Mind-Set generally appear to be hard targets to the predators out there. Having the Mind-Set automatically increases levels of awareness but having awareness doesn't automatically give the person the appropriate Mind-Set. The Mind-Set has to come first. Unfortunately, Mind-Set is not like safety tips, we can't just give it to people. We can give them the proper steps to building that Mind-Set but they will have to make the decision to do it through those steps themselves.

Steve

The other important aspect is giving more than lip service to awareness and deescalation, and understanding that someone who really wants to hurt you wont give you a chance in hell to be aware of them or talk them down. Then your mindset just becomes a self destructive cascade. ("ILL BE AWARE OF T..." suddenly sustaining injury from unknown source*)

DavidMoreland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing these entire post about Self -defence .Its a basic part each and every fighting art.Make your self defendent then attack only on your enemy.

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello:

*bows deeply*

I posted Kelly McCann's List of PIN's (Pre-Incident Indicators) (and the full chapter of his book) to my site awhile ago. Went on vacation and got back and busy with work. My sincerest apologies for not posting here earlier. Any PIN is meant as a sign of potential trouble and hopefully you are aware of the PIN and deal accordingly with the situation at hand.

Here is the list:

PREINCIDENT INDICATORS

• Unnatural impediment to your movement
  • Correlation of someone's movement to your own.
  • Any sudden change in a person's status as you get near or pass them.
  • Predatory movements (circling, two or more people moving in opposite directions, etc.)
  • Any verbal exchange initiated by a stranger
  • Target glancing
  • Persons closing on you from an oblique angle that intersects with your path.
  • A hand hidden that causes unnatural movement by someone as they walk toward you.
  • Bumps, shoves, pushes or grabs
  • Relative absence of other people or authorities
  • Automobiles stopping alongside you or slightly to the front or rear as you walk along
  • Any obvious intoxicated person
  • Any second pass of a vehicle
  • Obvious attempts at baiting you
  • Glances between strangers as they approach, impede, hail or otherwise interact with you
  • The calmest-appearing individual in a verbal altercation; not always the guy in your face

He discusses further each PIN in the chapter I transcribed here:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/09/kelly-mccann-spotting-trouble-before-it.html

Hope this helps! Stay aware and safe!!

Very truly yours in the MA and SD,
~sg

Last edited:

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Carry a heavy guage pocket sized flash light with a bright beam and a strobe beam. The strobe can help disorient an attacker and the flashlight itself can be used as a kubotan. It's also helpful when you drop your keys.

Another option is to tie some cord around the middle and use the mini-flashlight like the "eda koppo", also called "koppo stick". More secure with your middle and ring fingers in so you won't lose grip on the flashlight.

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello:

*bows deeply*

I posted Kelly McCann's List of PIN's (Pre-Incident Indicators) (and the full chapter of his book) to my site awhile ago. Went on vacation and got back and busy with work. My sincerest apologies for not posting here earlier. Any PIN is meant as a sign of potential trouble and hopefully you are aware of the PIN and deal accordingly with the situation at hand.

Here is the list:

PREINCIDENT INDICATORS

• Unnatural impediment to your movement
  • Correlation of someone's movement to your own.
  • Any sudden change in a person's status as you get near or pass them.
  • Predatory movements (circling, two or more people moving in opposite directions, etc.)
  • Any verbal exchange initiated by a stranger
  • Target glancing
  • Persons closing on you from an oblique angle that intersects with your path.
  • A hand hidden that causes unnatural movement by someone as they walk toward you.
  • Bumps, shoves, pushes or grabs
  • Relative absence of other people or authorities
  • Automobiles stopping alongside you or slightly to the front or rear as you walk along
  • Any obvious intoxicated person
  • Any second pass of a vehicle
  • Obvious attempts at baiting you
  • Glances between strangers as they approach, impede, hail or otherwise interact with you
  • The calmest-appearing individual in a verbal altercation; not always the guy in your face

He discusses further each PIN in the chapter I transcribed here:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/09/kelly-mccann-spotting-trouble-before-it.html

Hope this helps! Stay aware and safe!!

Very truly yours in the MA and SD,
~sg
A lot of those you will pick up almost instinctively.

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello:

Although one may pick up instinctively some of these PINs most may ignore that instinct, that gut feeling... Gavin DeBecker discusses this in his book The Gift of Fear.

We as students of Self-Defense have to learn not to ignore our instincts.

-sg

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cyriacus said:
Now, if you wanna do something productive, compound these down to less tips, and then make a guide to no. 1, because just giving it lip service does nothing for it.

Compounding them down is simple ...

1) Don't be stupid!

Every self defence situation that I am familiar with (at least here in Texas) can be traced back to someone doing something stupid. In the immortal words of Mr. Miyagi ... "Best defence is no be there!" :)

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Compounding them down is simple ...

1) Don't be stupid!

Every self defence situation that I am familiar with (at least here in Texas) can be traced back to someone doing something stupid. In the immortal words of Mr. Miyagi ... "Best defence is no be there!" :)

The Three S's!

avoid Stupid people at Stupid places doing Stupid things (sometimes a fourth S is added namely "... at Stupid times")

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carry a pickaxe for trail work on your shoulder when hiking alone. Trust me, no one will mess with you ;)

Latest Discussions