Best combo for street self defence

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
And where did he say this?
Type in kabib on judo and look for xcellentmma clips lady interviewing him asks what’s better wrestling or judo, he says judo is class compared to wrestling

Interview in ufc, judo is under rated, joe rogan agrees that his worst nightmare would be meeting a judoka in a cold climate outside on a hard surface

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, well, we all need a scapegoat. 😁
And that's why I keep my socks on lol. But seriously, I need to wear black socks so my white socks can stop turning brown lol. I wish there was something we could clean the mats with.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Type in kabib on judo and look for xcellentmma clips lady interviewing him asks what’s better wrestling or judo, he says judo is class compared to wrestling

And that is what you are hinging your whole argument on?

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
And that is what you are hinging your whole argument on?
I think arguably the greatest ufc fighter of all times opinion is a pretty good place to start, I take it you disagree and think that judo is not that good.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think arguably the greatest ufc fighter of all times opinion is a pretty good place to start, I take it you disagree and think that judo is not that good.

Yeah. He is not the greatest ufc fighter because of his judo. Is he?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And that's why I keep my socks on lol. But seriously, I need to wear black socks so my white socks can stop turning brown lol. I wish there was something we could clean the mats with.
Isn't that what white belts are for...? So we can clean the mats with them...?

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Indeed no ufc wins by just using one style, it’s not possible, however my argument is that judo doesn’t not get the credit or respect it deserves compared to other grappling styles, I think someone like kabib agreeing with me lends weight to my argument, Joe rogan agrees that judo is a great martial art, Rhonda rousey is another example, is it as good at groundwork as bjj, mybye not but in a street fight I would rather have judo

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you either don’t care for kabob or you think he is best for some other reason? Jits? I don’t watch much of this stuff, so I’m ignorant to The Who is who in ufc. I know a few from the old days like Frank Shamrock, Bas Rutten etc. Who are your faves in the different weight classes? I liked watching how Jones moves. One of my old favorite fighters was Genki Sudo. The guy was a slippery fish, I liked watching him escape. He was kinda silly sometimes though.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back to good combos.... I've always felt Judo (or Shuaijiao) and Wing Chun would make a good combo
Shuaijiao and any kung fu is a good mix in my book.

I'm planning on getting some formal training hopefully this year or early next year. I want to do it while my bones still heal lol

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like you either don’t care for kabob or you think he is best for some other reason? Jits? I don’t watch much of this stuff, so I’m ignorant to The Who is who in ufc. I know a few from the old days like Frank Shamrock, Bas Rutten etc. Who are your faves in the different weight classes? I liked watching how Jones moves. One of my old favorite fighters was Genki Sudo. The guy was a slippery fish, I liked watching him escape. He was kinda silly sometimes though.

He is a combat sambo champion who has done judo and wrestling.

He isn't high level competitive judoka unless I have missed something.

Compare to say Dan kelly who was high level judo. And made it work in the UFC

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is a combat sambo champion who has done judo and wrestling.

He isn't high level competitive judoka unless I have missed something.

Compare to say Dan kelly who was high level judo. And made it work in the UFC
A lot of these guys cross train judo jits and wrestling ? How easy does one translate to another outside rule sets?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indeed no ufc wins by just using one style, it’s not possible, however my argument is that judo doesn’t not get the credit or respect it deserves compared to other grappling styles, I think someone like kabib agreeing with me lends weight to my argument, Joe rogan agrees that judo is a great martial art, Rhonda rousey is another example, is it as good at groundwork as bjj, mybye not but in a street fight I would rather have judo

Hard to clinch enter in to striking. Unless your striking is really good or you can grab a gi. Basically you have to go through the middle of someone striking zone.

Then you have a lot of turning your back and getting potentually choked out issues.

It is a long complex route to do what could be done with a double leg easier and safer. And wrestling has hip tosses. So if you do want to judo throw someone you still can.

As far as kabib goes there is a cultural argument as well.

The majority of successful grappler in the ufc are wrestlers.

And there are many more wrestlers who understand how to make grappling work from UFC and almost by default self defence.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of these guys cross train judo jits and wrestling ? How easy does one translate to another outside rule sets?

I think a lot harder to cross train from judo. I believe there are even restrictions on Judoka doing this.

Where wrestlers and folk wrestlers will jits if competition is more widely available. Which it tends to be at the moment because it is more popular.

So you might get lucky and get a Dan Kelly who would very much be Judo for self defence. And understand the difference. But they are much fewer and further between.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a lot harder to cross train from judo. I believe there are even restrictions on Judoka doing this.

Where wrestlers and folk wrestlers will jits if competition is more widely available. Which it tends to be at the moment because it is more popular.
Restrictions? How so? I mean how is that regulated?

Latest Discussions