Best combo for street self defence

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:)
I trained in a boxing gym for several years before some of the boxers said "Go ahead and use that karate stuff, we'd like to work against it."

Oh, man, if you ever get the chance, JowGa, you'll have a good time, it's so much fun.

I guess they thought I was going to try and kick them in the head. Instead, I swept their feet out every time they moved. The front leg, back leg or both legs. Then I started snap kicking them in the cup. To which they said "You can't do that! It's illegal!"

I said "in boxing sure, but not in Karate, better protect your groin I'm going to do it again."

That's when I kicked them upside the head.

Haven't had that much fun in a long time.
Ha ha ha.. that sounds like something I would do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the best combo for street self defense is the art that you are most interested in practicing the most. TKD may be the most effective art on the planet... but if I am not willing to put in the time to train it... it won't help. So get an art that you will spend the most time training... doesn't matter which... just train.

So you shouldn't gear your training so it meets your objectives most efficiently?

There are plenty of things people do that they don't like primarily to make them good at that thing.

It is almost a mantra of fight training.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have mentioned folk wrestling before for street self defence. It has one of the better get back up systems out there.

Lots of MMA guys tend to lean towards it because getting punched on the ground is an exceptionally bad thing to deal with.

So generally you fight to your hands and knee. Then use something like this to get up and get away.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don’t concede that boxing is the best hand technique no matter the caveats. But that’s just me.
I’m always open to admitting I’m wrong but can you suggest another style that could beat a boxer using only their hands

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
???
What about weapons?
???

Bats, clubs, other improvised impact tools?
Blades, small , medium, large, two handed

Just Curious.
Somone pulls a blade pull your own blade or run away cause no style will save you there, never tried Karl mag and things like that but they train in a safe environment and in a real life or death situation with all the terror that goes with it, not sure how good they are, however I could be wrong

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have mentioned folk wrestling before for street self defence. It has one of the better get back up systems out there.

Lots of MMA guys tend to lean towards it because getting punched on the ground is an exceptionally bad thing to deal with.

So generally you fight to your hands and knee. Then use something like this to get up and get away.
Wrestling is a great martial art but kabob said judo beats it hands down and he’s done both

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Somone pulls a blade pull your own blade or run away cause no style will save you there, never tried Karl mag and things like that but they train in a safe environment and in a real life or death situation with all the terror that goes with it, not sure how good they are, however I could be wrong
Gun and knife disarms happen successfully daily by untrained people. Also many people who think they will just run away also find out that plan is often not workable.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wait.... Have you wrestled or done judo before? If you don't mind me asking.
Wrestling no judo yes, my kids have done judo since they were 4, when my son was 9 a 15 year old boy started on him, my son took him down with osoto gari then put him in a guillotine till he tapped, since then they have both used it to defend themselves, as I said I respect wrestling cause it’s a top tier martial art, but kabob thinks Judo’s better

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gun and knife disarms happen successfully daily by untrained people. Also many people who think they will just run away also find out that plan is often not workable.
True anything can happen in any situation, depends a lot on the inner strength of the person, can they control their fear etc

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So you shouldn't gear your training so it meets your objectives most efficiently?

There are plenty of things people do that they don't like primarily to make them good at that thing.

It is almost a mantra of fight training.
If a guy liked BJJ, and was really interested in training BJJ... he is likely to show up and train more often. If it gets proven that TKD is the most effective art for street fighting, but this guy never really liked TKD.... He may not be so excited about showing up to train. If you don't go train then it does not matter what art you don't train in.... it won't help you.

You are correct, every style has people do things that they don't like, to make them good at that art. If you don't like the art... the chances of you going through all the unlikable parts is small. Taking one class in the super deadly, most street efficient art... won't make you fight better. You have to train regularly. So, pick an art that you will show up to train at the most.

Additionally, if you want it to be effective on the street... you have to fight other types of fighters. If you don't put this training in... it does not matter what art you train in.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
... I hear clackledockling is pretty up there.....
Berserker martial arts of Grandmaster Sven Svensson are better than anything. The most ultra-violent response to any situation. If you only knew what Grandmaster Sven can do with a carrot, you would be frightened. Hail Thor!!

Well, almost better than Xue-fu. I am the West Coast (USA) Division Chief of Xue-fu which makes me the second highest ranked master in the art. I am number two!!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m always open to admitting I’m wrong but can you suggest another style that could beat a boxer using only their hands
What I think you don’t understand is that there is no objective way to measure and evaluate what style is best in any particular approach. Different people relate to the material and the methodology in different ways, which means that a method that would be an excellent choice for you, could be a terrible choice for me.

Boxing can certainly deliver impressive results in punching; no argument from me. It is a popular sport and so gets a lot of visibility. This leads people in a general sort of way to assume it is the best possible way to develop your punches. But again, it only is the best for you if you relate well to the method and find it interesting and enjoy training it and wish to do so more than any other method.

What it means to develop the best punching is a subjective notion. Is it the most powerful? The quickest? The most “useful” (another very subjective evaluation in itself) combinations? Punching in combination with kicks or sweeps or takedowns? Everyone will have their own notion of what it means to be the “best” puncher. You will find no uniform agreement on that.

It seems to me that when one makes a statement that this or that method is the best, it is usually based on what his own personal experiences are. A person has trained a method, or even several, he found one to be very effective for him and so decide that one is the best, across the board. But how many other systems are out there that he has never trained? Thousands? How can he decide one is the best, when he has never experienced most of them, by far?

@Buka hit a solid notion when he said boxing produces consistently good punchers. No argument from me there. Boxing has figured out a method that produces solid punching in a reasonably short period of time so that an athlete can become an active competitor without needing to train for years on end first. A competitive career in boxing does not last terribly long for most people, so they need to get going while they are young and in their prime. So the methods of boxing work very well in the context of what is needed for that sport. And simply on an objective level, yes it can produce excellent punchers.

Circling back to your question above, what do I think is better? As I outlined above, my answer will depend on my personal experiences. I admit, I’ve never studied boxing. I am disinterested in it and will never do it. I study Tibetan white crane, so of course I feel it is better. Remember what I said in the above: people will make that evaluation based on their own experiences. I am no different. I feel Tibetan crane has an excellent methodology for developing very powerful punches in a surprising variety, and I feel it is second to none. If you have never studied Tibetan crane, then how would you even dispute my claim? But my claim is really just limited to me. Tibetan crane is an unusual method; it does not appeal to everyone, and is not widely practiced. I am ok with that, it does not bother me. I only make claims for myself, not trying to broadly apply my experiences to everyone.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Berserker martial arts of Grandmaster Sven Svensson are better than anything. The most ultra-violent response to any situation. If you only knew what Grandmaster Sven can do with a carrot, you would be frightened. Hail Thor!!

Well, almost better than Xue-fu. I am the West Coast (USA) Division Chief of Xue-fu which makes me the second highest ranked master in the art. I am number two!!

Xuefu IS the best.... no challengers have yet survived..... and most students don't either