Best combo for street self defence

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Combine these Tkd boxing and judo and you can pretty much deal with anything, tkd kicks can also be used against legs and while the foot is more fragile than the shin if your wearing shoes then it’s ok and using the foot gives longer reach, boxing speaks for itself best hand technique of any style. Up close judo is best, perhaps in a hot topless climate not so good but anyone wearing clothes especially jumpers or coats are going flying and the groundwork for judo is often underrated should your opponent still be functioning after all that,

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you suggesting this is an ideal combination of styles, or just a decent combination?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
boxing speaks for itself best hand technique of any style
It's only the best technique if there is no kicking or grappling. There are alot of things boxing doesn't have to deal with. I've never sparred with a boxer who allowed kicking during our sparring sessions. I could wrestle with them either.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are you suggesting this is an ideal combination of styles, or just a decent combination?
I was suggesting it as a decent combination however I would argue that it is as ideal as any other combination, for example mauy Thai and Bjj is also decent but I think not as good as the combo I put forward

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's only the best technique if there is no kicking or grappling. There are alot of things boxing doesn't have to deal with. I've never sparred with a boxer who allowed kicking during our sparring sessions. I could wrestle with them either.
Agreed, as I said it’s the best hand technique

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Combine these Tkd boxing and judo and you can pretty much deal with anything, tkd kicks can also be used against legs and while the foot is more fragile than the shin if your wearing shoes then it’s ok and using the foot gives longer reach, boxing speaks for itself best hand technique of any style. Up close judo is best, perhaps in a hot topless climate not so good but anyone wearing clothes especially jumpers or coats are going flying and the groundwork for judo is often underrated should your opponent still be functioning after all that,
You seem to have things all figured out. I hope it works out like that for you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:)
I trained in a boxing gym for several years before some of the boxers said "Go ahead and use that karate stuff, we'd like to work against it."

Oh, man, if you ever get the chance, JowGa, you'll have a good time, it's so much fun.

I guess they thought I was going to try and kick them in the head. Instead, I swept their feet out every time they moved. The front leg, back leg or both legs. Then I started snap kicking them in the cup. To which they said "You can't do that! It's illegal!"

I said "in boxing sure, but not in Karate, better protect your groin I'm going to do it again."

That's when I kicked them upside the head.

Haven't had that much fun in a long time.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I swept their feet out every time they moved.
That was the strategy I used last time I sparred against a boxer too. When I sparred, I only looked at my opponent's leading leg knee. If his leading leg knee is bending (has more weight on), I either sweep that leg, or step on that knee.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was the strategy I used last time I sparred against a boxer too. When I sparred, I only looked at my opponent's leading leg knee. If his leading leg knee is bending (has more weight on), I either sweep that leg, or step on that knee.
I only look at the feet. Always have, probably always will.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t concede that boxing is the best hand technique no matter the caveats. But that’s just me.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the best combo for street self defense is the art that you are most interested in practicing the most. TKD may be the most effective art on the planet... but if I am not willing to put in the time to train it... it won't help. So get an art that you will spend the most time training... doesn't matter which... just train.

Now, since we are talking about street and not sport... you need to get out of the house... go spar with / roll with other styles and other arts. Learn how your art deals with the different styles. Learn how to make the other guy fight the fight you want. You may be TKD and the other guy is BJJ... but if you can keep it on your feet, and keep your distance... you will win. (it will take some training and sparring to learn how to do this) If you are the BJJ guy, you will need to learn how to get the TKD guy on the ground.

The advantage I see for BJJ, is that they often train with MMA folks, and already practice trying to get in... where TKD folks do not do this type of training as much.

In short... train what you are interested in. Then spar, to learn how to apply it against full resistance. Then spar with other arts, to learn how to make the fight your fight, against someone wanting a different type of fight. (don't forget to spar with wrestlers.... you will find out real fast how well you can control the situation...) If you are not willing to put this work in... it really does not matter which art or arts you choose, they won't work.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

???
What about weapons?
???

Bats, clubs, other improvised impact tools?
Blades, small , medium, large, two handed

Just Curious.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was suggesting it as a decent combination however I would argue that it is as ideal as any other combination, for example mauy Thai and Bjj is also decent but I think not as good as the combo I put forward
For self-defense I think judo, when it's taught with a heavy emphasis ground techniques is very sufficient. However, I would strongly argue that Muay Thai and Judo would be a far superior combination. For multiple reasons.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have had my **** handed to me so many times from so many different styles and so many different practitioners, I couldn't possibly remember them all.

I think most, if not all, styles work well together in fighting. It's up to the individual to see if they work together for them and for their needs.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had my **** handed to me so many times from so many different styles and so many different practitioners, I couldn't possibly remember them all.

I think most, if not all, styles work well together in fighting. It's up to the individual to see if they work together for them and for their needs.
Certain styles I believe complement each other far better than others. For instance Judo and Muay Thai. First by doing clinching, you are learning no gi upper body throwing, against someone who is trying to elbow, knee, punch or push away from you. That's a huge bump up in your ability to do no gi judo.

Also I think the knee strike is the missing link in a judoka's arsenal. Because hipping out is a very common stall tactic to avoid judo throws. However if you began landing knees, they would very likely move their hips in to avoid these deviating strikes. Making it much easier to preform judo.

In short, doing judo while someone is not wearing a GI, but is trying to hit you or get away from you, and you are able to set up throws with knees is a very good combination to learn.

You don't get that with combining it with just any style.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don’t concede that boxing is the best hand technique no matter the caveats. But that’s just me.
I've been thinking about this since you posted it. What I think is that boxing may have the most consistent hand techniques no matter what boxing gym you go to, no matter where in the world that boxing gym may be. I think there's something to be said for that.

I spent a bunch of years in my teacher's TKD school. He had two floors. On the ground floor was an eighteen foot boxing ring that we used all the time, like every day.

Botton line.....I dunno'.

Latest Discussions