Belt whipping and kiss the dragon

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is full contact sparring not a part of testing?

In our testing one must pass a pretest before a 5 BB panel which includes, among many things, (2) 3 minute rounds of continuous full contact sparring.
At the testing itself the student will again have (3) rounds of sparring where they will be tested for heart, fighting spirit, conditioning, and fighting ability.
If someone on the test board cannot tell after the test the students ability to take a punch or a kick they don't belong on the board to begin with.
What if it's only one person testing so they can't spar

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh...
I apologize. I should have stated the student will be sparring a different BB each round. They don't spar another person testing.
If there is only one testing they still have to pass the pre test panel and then they test before the official board.
We have never not had enough BB's available or unwilling to spar with a person testing for their BB. No problem

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course they can spar, someone is brought in to spar with them, I've never seen a grading in over 40 years that didn't have sparring lol.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now I'm not a guy who gets into a lot of street fights but the times I have had to defend myself
Here in lies the problem. You think getting into street fights is self defence. It is understandable as I (as most do) made the same mistakes at your age. I believe this will help you. It is an hour long but if you have the time it is well worth the effort and bets of all it’s free :)

The Martial Map (Free Audio Book) | Iain Abernethy

If schools refuse to do contact
We are not talking about schools refusing to allow contact during training. We are talking about the ritual and systematic physical abuse of students.

Women have 30% less muscle mass than men, they also carry their child rearing body part in their. Would it be acceptable if a female student reached her dan grade to line up all the adult make instructors and ask them to kick her hard in the stomach? That isn’t even allowed in professional combat sports.

The video is nothing more than hazing:-

Hazing is the practice of rituals and other activities involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a group. Hazing is seen in many different types of social groups, including gangs, sports teams, schools, military units, and fraternities and sororities

if someone truly wants to learn to be able to defend themselves doing kata .......will not realistically help
Then you have not been taught kata correctly. But that is a discussion for a different thread.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here in lies the problem. You think getting into street fights is self defence. It is understandable as I (as most do) made the same mistakes at your age. I believe this will help you. It is an hour long but if you have the time it is well worth the effort and bets of all it’s free :)

We are not talking about schools refusing to allow contact during training. We are talking about the ritual and systematic physical abuse of students.

Women have 30% less muscle mass than men, they also carry their child rearing body part in their. Would it be acceptable if a female student reached her dan grade to line up all the adult make instructors and ask them to kick her hard in the stomach? That isn’t even allowed in professional combat sports.

Hazing is the practice of rituals and other activities involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a group. Hazing is seen in many different types of social groups, including gangs, sports teams, schools, military units, and fraternities and sororities

Then you have not been taught kata correctly. But that is a discussion for a different thread.
Sorry but didnt I say that a light woman would not be kicked as hard as a big man

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Purple Belt - 3 kicks!!!
Our white belts will take more kicks than that in the many punch/kick drills we do in practice.
Yes I mean test kicks obviously since that's what's being discussed

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I mean test kicks obviously since that's what's being discussed

No, it's not 'test' kicks, it's as has been said 'hazing' or bullying.

think about this carefully, you and your grading class have just finished your grading, you've gone through all the syllabus says you should including sparring with a few opponents, hard sparring. You are then lined up and called to collect your new belt, standing in attention stance. You are then kicked in the stomach by your instructor, you may double up in pain but are expected to return to attention stance where you are given your belt and you say thank you..................... so what did you learn from that?

What you should learn is that no one ever has the right to take a shot at you like that, you are not a victim and you aren't an idiot to stand there and let someone do that to you. If you saw that happening anywhere else what would you think about it?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Are you up for crucifixion? Good; one cross each, down the hall and to the left" <<SMACK!! punch to the face>>

-Monty Python, The Life of Brian

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here is my opinion on it, especially if it's by choice. Either you choose to do it or you don't. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I would do it and on the other hand I want my daughters to eventually take Kajukenbo with me and being their protector I don't want them doing this. Sooooooooo I don't know

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

All of martial arts is hazing. Nobody with a sane mind willingly turns up each day and gets punched in the face.

Sane people don't run marathons or climb mountains they don't have to.

None of it is really necessary except to the people that do it.

You being want to go through an unnecessary ritural of being slapped. You probably shouldn't go through the unnecessary hardship of getting the belt in the first place.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or of course you could follow Nietzsche and believe hardship is a pathway to happiness.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The video is actually pretty tame. None of those shots seem injurious to me. Not the belt slapping, not the punches, not the kicks. That doesn't negate the observation that it is silly, really.

Ok as a ritualistic formality, maybe there is some comaraderie it may build, but it's still silly.

It has nothing to do with conditioning, or at least those who think it does are kind of delusional. Standing there to just take it, in a ritualistic setting like this, does not build conditioning. It is not the appropriate place for such training, and it's not the appropriate way to go about it, if that is the goal.

What if I, the student, decided to hit back? Give me the first shot. If the teacher can't get up off the floor after just standing there and taking a punch from me, well then maybe I dont want his belt.

The whole thing really is just silly.

Exactly. I was thinking more stupid than silly, but that's just semantics.

There's nothing wrong with hard training. I spent 7 years in a Kyokushin offshoot, so you won't get any disagreement from me. But this ceremonial whipping and kicking is just plain dumb.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with hard training. I spent 7 years in a Kyokushin offshoot, so you won't get any disagreement from me. But this ceremonial whipping and kicking is just plain dumb.
Well, I suggest you never fight people that do this for fun. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I suggest you never fight people that do this for fun. :)

I have no idea what you mean here? Do you mean that that stupid ceremonial whipping and kicking makes them tougher? It's not like they tee'ed off on the guy.

Or do you mean that I'm soft and can't handle being hit or hard training? Maybe you missed where I said I trained in a Kyokushin offshoot (it was 99% Kyokushin, just a different name). In that system, you didn't earn a 1st dan if you didn't pass the 20 man kumite portion (knockdown rules).

I'm not trying to be a jerk or start a mine is bigger than yours argument, I just genuinely have no idea why you disagreed with my post and posted what you did.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok. So why is there a difference?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean here? Do you mean that that stupid ceremonial whipping and kicking makes them tougher? It's not like they tee'ed off on the guy.

Or do you mean that I'm soft and can't handle being hit or hard training? Maybe you missed where I said I trained in a Kyokushin offshoot (it was 99% Kyokushin, just a different name). In that system, you didn't earn a 1st dan if you didn't pass the 20 man kumite portion (knockdown rules).

I'm not trying to be a jerk or start a mine is bigger than yours argument, I just genuinely have no idea why you disagreed with my post and posted what you did.
First of all, this testing stuff is ceremonial. It only happens when you test, and it is for someone to watch, and either be impressed or horrified, hopefully both. I would rather do a flinch response drill, than fight twenty guys, but I guess I am just dumb, like you say. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Secondly, if this looks crazy, Kenpo may not be for you; because, they teach you all these techniques, where the attacker is always walking into a meat grinder, and you have a job to do, react realistically. That's right, you have to act, like you are in a play, while some guy really hits you. Standing there in a horse stance, is kind of lazy, really, but no different from the rest of your training. :)

Latest Discussions