Belt whipping and kiss the dragon

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We aren't going to let you shame us into being a bunch of sissies. :cool:

Well after all, a real man always hits someone who won't hit back. This all reminds me of the old Public School tradition of fagging.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well after all, a real man always hits someone who won't hit back. This all reminds me of the old Public School tradition of fagging.
I don't know what you guys are into over there, but outside of a test situation, flinch response drills, and good old beating on people, in general, involve them getting there turn, too; so, real men take turns. :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think a real man, offered an opportunity to whip or kick a fellow student in such a situation, would politely decline.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That had nothing to do with what I said, but I accept your decline. :)
It has everything to do with what you said. Why do I as the instructor / examiner need to demonstrate my level of control? That happens all the time in class. The test is about the candidate, surely.

If the test IS about the candidate, then there's no reason to be kicking them, even if it is controlled, during a test. A controlled kick proves nothing about their ability to absorb a hit, and surely they have demonstrated their ability to take a hit in full contact sparring by this point?

Either way, there's no reason for an examiner to be making physical contact with a candidate, except for the purposes of ego massage.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has everything to do with what you said. Why do I as the instructor / examiner need to demonstrate my level of control? That happens all the time in class. The test is about the candidate, surely.

If the test IS about the candidate, then there's no reason to be kicking them, even if it is controlled, during a test. A controlled kick proves nothing about their ability to absorb a hit, and surely they have demonstrated their ability to take a hit in full contact sparring by this point?

Either way, there's no reason for an examiner to be making physical contact with a candidate, except for the purposes of ego massage.
Then don't. I don't care. We happen to think it is important, that a test feels like a test. It makes no difference to me if you think is related what you think is appropriate. Go practice your thing. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The ceremony is born out of body conditioning, although I'm sure you style is much better. LOL

I don't know much about your style, and I'm quite sure you don't know much about mine. Different horses for different courses.

Here's kind of how we did body conditioning; different karate style, different way of doing Sanchin kata, and the people in the video are far better and more advanced than I am, but the principle is the same...

That actually serves far more of a purpose than "let us kick you in the stomach kind of hard, but not really hard, and whip you kind of hard but not really too hard to show everyone how tough you are before we give you your belt."

And it addresses flinch response, as does pretty much everything else that's done with a partner.

But we didn't do a "two for flinching" drill like the movie Stand By Me.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know much about your style, and I'm quite sure you don't know much about mine. Different horses for different courses.

Here's kind of how we did body conditioning; different karate style, different way of doing Sanchin kata, and the people in the video are far better and more advanced than I am, but the principle is the same...

That actually serves far more of a purpose than "let us kick you in the stomach kind of hard, but not really hard, and whip you kind of hard but not really too hard to show everyone how tough you are before we give you your belt."

And it addresses flinch response, as does pretty much everything else that's done with a partner.

But we didn't do a "two for flinching" drill like the movie Stand By Me.
Looks just like what we do. Now, Imagine a ceremonial kick, and a belt award. afterward. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks just like what we do. Now, Imagine a ceremonial kick, and a belt award. afterward. :)

yes dear, I don't think you would go around kicking people in this way anymore than anyone else would, you just like to be contrary and get a kick ( pun intended) out of trying to wind people up by 'defending' the indefensible

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes dear, I don't think you would go around kicking people in this way anymore than anyone else would, you just like to be contrary and get a kick ( pun intended) out of trying to wind people up by 'defending' the indefensible
Actually, this is my life. Or at least, my life from belt to belt. :)

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it's bullying. If I am understanding this correctly it's by choice. The person being bullied don't have a choice. I have been in situation were I was hazed. It was my choice. When it came down to being the one hazing I choose not to precipitate. This reminds of days back when I was a boxer. I would take hits to the stomach with a medicine ball. It's started out with light drops. As time went on drops became throws. Either you do it or your don't. I wouldn't treat a person any different if they choose not to. Taking a punch doesn't determine the knowledge you have learn to receive your belt.If I was on the kicking or punching end. I would give you a light tap. They only time I would hit you harder is if you was preparing for a fight.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tez3 your mentioned my daughters getting kicked by their instructor....... I don't know. That's a tough one. Someone did mention it's not the same amount of force for females or smalle people, but still as a father I don't know.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3 your mentioned my daughters getting kicked by their instructor....... I don't know. That's a tough one. Someone did mention it's not the same amount of force for females or smalle people, but still as a father I don't know.

It's nothing to do with being female or even martial arts and all to do with respect and dignity. What message are you giving your children if you allow them to be assaulted? I would not allow any child of mine to be humiliated in this manner. No child of mine has been taught to stand still while someone hit them and I will teach no other parent's child to stand and be hit in this manner. Both my children, they are adults now, learnt martial arts and can still give as good as they get. Both my children competed in martial arts and other sports which are probably more dangerous, they aren't soft but they do treat people with dignity.
To stand in attention stance while an instructor punches or kicks them and to say thank you for that is frankly perverted. Having them strong, independent and mentally healthy rather than bound to instructors that can behave in this manner is priceless. Think about it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What we do as ceremony after a promotion of second Dan (and above) is a Sake circle. Once the promotion is over, the black belts in attendance sit in a circle and have a small cup of Sake, ceremonially served, and talk. It only happens once every few years and we've been doing it since the seventies.

Some might say that a real man wouldn't consume alcohol in a Dojo, and in most circumstances that would very well be true. But it's not in most circumstances, it's in ceremony. As I've said, I don't follow the kicking, striking, belt whipping aspect of what the OP showed, but the two times I did do it, both with the same person some five years apart, it was really fun. He's bigger, stronger and a better Martial Artist than I am. We've been fighting each other for decades. Getting a free shot, which he reminds me he still owes me one for (two, actually), is just a lot of fun between old Karateka.