Being tactful and using magic words

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Christmas Baby? Has a nice ring to it if you ask me, in fact it sounds lovely. Seriously, I wouldn't mind being called a Christmas baby by some bird on the shop counter. How could that get you down?

I don't like being called that because Im not a baby, and it does get tiresome. Just like this girl who I knew whose name was Robin, she didn't like it when people made Batman and Robin jokes about her name, she had been hearing that all her life and she was tired of it and if you did make such a joke she would let you know that it was aggravating.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like being called that because Im not a baby, and it does get tiresome. Just like this girl who I knew whose name was Robin, she didn't like it when people made Batman and Robin jokes about her name, she had been hearing that all her life and she was tired of it and if you did make such a joke she would let you know that it was aggravating.

People are dying from Ebola, people are starving, being kidnapped, there's FGM, there's murders, rapes, child abuse, people are suffering all over the world and you are worried about something nice someone said to you.

GET OVER IT.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

And, for the sixth time, you were not being called a baby… it was observed that you were born at Christmas… i.e. a baby that came at Christmas… not that you're currently a baby…

And yeah, get over it. You're too invested in your own internal false reality to be able to see anything outside of your head… and, as long as you remain that way, you'll always have these issues. Recognise that there are other people in the world, and the way you see things is not necessarily the reality. Then get over it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Being called baby can have other connotations, so you will probably here that one throughout life wherever you are. The others are right, the world is going to ***** and is at a worrying stage for me personally, but still. Jokes should be used as a positive, even if they seem to be derogatory.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Six weeks since you almost screamed in someone`s face for trying to be nice to you and still very much grumpy about it I see.

Are you really no better than that??

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking of Christmas, Cirdan, I've just seen a picture of Norway's Christmas tree to us being cut down prior to being sent to London. Thank you. The significance of this is important, it's not a frivolity, more important for sure than fretting over being called a Christmas baby.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Indeed Tez, we will keep sending you christmas trees as a symbol of our friendship and gratitude for all the help and support during WW2. I see the tree was cut down by your Lord Mayor Audrey Lewis and our Mayor Fabian Stang yesterday, and will be lit two weeks from now in Trafalgar Square. I look out the window right now and the first snow is in the air, christmas-y already :)

Hogstseremoni2012.jpg%20%28500x323%29.jpg

4J8A8063_cutout.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't celebrate Christmas but celebrating freedom, friendship and comradeship in times of adversity are so important. Thinking of others before oneself is a noble aspiration, a good way to live, whinging about kind comments made to oneself is mean spirited.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't celebrate Christmas but celebrating freedom, friendship and comradeship in times of adversity are so important. Thinking of others before oneself is a noble aspiration, a good way to live, whinging about kind comments made to oneself is mean spirited.

I don`t celebrate christmas either. Vikings celebrate Yuletide, or Jul for short which is the word we still use. Santas`s sleigh is based on Thor`s flying goat-pulled wagon after all :D

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the Hall
Not a creature was stirring, not warrior nor thrall.
And I in my armor, my shield and my helm
Was drunker than anyone else in the Realm.

I staggered upstairs and fell into bed
While four quarts of mead were ablaze in my head.
Then up from below came the sounds of a brawl
So I grabbed up my axe and ran down to the Hall.

I missed the last step and crashed down in a heap
Thinking, "Why can't those low-lifes downstairs go to sleep!"
When what to my wondering eyes should appear
But two brawny strangers, wielding mallet and spear.

I said to myself, "We'll soon have them beat!"
Then I noticed ten warriors laid out at their feet.
I gave out a yell and leapt into the fray...
I'll always regret my poor choice of that day.

For the one laid his hammer to the side of my nose
And up, up, up to the rafters I rose.
Then came a lone frightened voice from the floor,
"Those are no mortal warriors -- that's Odin and Thor!"

Then they looked at each other and they said, "Battle's done.
Now they know who we are, it no longer is fun."
Then Thor raised his hammer, and his elbow he bent,
And with a loud crash, through the ceiling they went.

I crawled through the Hall and flung open the door,
Not really sure that I'd seen them before.
The snow bathed in starlight, the moon like a glede,
I saw them ride off on an eight-legged steed.

And I heard them exclaim, 'ere they flew out of sight,
"TO HELA WITH CHRISTMAS, WE JUST LOVE A GOOD FIGHT!"

Viking_Jul_01_by_ADGood.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Winter Veil....

Just because.

And for the 14th I stick some candles on a tiara and walk through the neighborhood.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Winter Veil....
Just because.
And for the 14th I stick some candles on a tiara and walk through the neighborhood.

Oh another one!! ... wandering around in a long white dress, fire on her head, giving coffee and Luciakatter
to strangers, singing a song in Swedish about a dead Italian girl martyr from before 500 ce.

Yeah. me, too. Though I bake the saffron buns. And we do it on the 13th. Are you late?
w/respect A

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Then stop acting like one. Your reaction to this poor girl, who was just trying to be nice, is incredibly juvenile. Your continued ranting about it weeks later reinforces the impression that you are, in fact, a big baby.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then stop acting like one. Your reaction to this poor girl, who was just trying to be nice, is incredibly juvenile. Your continued ranting about it weeks later reinforces the impression that you are, in fact, a big baby.

QFT.

To all who have replied to this thread, especially DIrty Dog: You're to be commended for your patience....I'm gonna keep my fingers to myself on this one...:lfao:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey PG, step back a little and ask yourself why you're getting so het up about this. A question has an answer for sure, but to me you are just simply using the answers as a stepping stone. There would be no reason to elaborate on a thread if you would just listen. Hey no beef man, but I simply do not understand you're patterns?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh another one!! ... wandering around in a long white dress, fire on her head, giving coffee and Luciakatter
to strangers, singing a song in Swedish about a dead Italian girl martyr from before 500 ce.

Yeah. me, too. Though I bake the saffron buns. And we do it on the 13th. Are you late?
w/respect A

Beautiful women in white dresses with their hair out, fire on their head and handing out goodies, now that is the kind of traditions I can get behind :D
We celebrate St Lucia in Norway too of course.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

w/respect A

I am Josephine come lately :)

I might have gotten it mixed up with some other country's custom of doing something on the 14th.
(I have to admit, I stole it from a Swedish children's series I used to read when I was a kid, not very much Scandinavian anything on my side of the family tree. It leans to the other side of Europe.)

I think I will try to find a good recipey for the buns though. they always sounded intriguing. :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am Josephine come lately :)

I might have gotten it mixed up with some other country's custom of doing something on the 14th.
(I have to admit, I stole it from a Swedish children's series I used to read when I was a kid, not very much Scandinavian anything on my side of the family tree. It leans to the other side of Europe.)

I think I will try to find a good recipey for the buns though. they always sounded intriguing. :)

I hereby declare you an honorary Scandinavian and bestow Odin`s blessing upon thee. As such you are charged with bringing buns and coffee to the people. Now rise and serve well!

odin_s_secrets_by_samflegal-d5rv1vu.jpg

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But sure ain't no Christmas baby!!

Latest Discussions