Tactful Way of Slowing Down Class for Individual

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is he gasping for air or just breathing hard? I have mild asthma and don't always keep my inhaler around. So...it doesn't take a whole lot for me to start breathing hard, but I can keep my exertion up for hours at a time (on a hike, for example).

I was in horrible shape when I started MA. My instructors stressed the "do what you can" part...and to not be worried if I wasn't keeping up with the class, because they could tell I was trying. They never slowed the class down for me, and I'm glad they didn't.

He is gassed. It's actually like how I used to feel when my high school football coach made us run wind sprints and then do ups/downs until we puked. If we trained outdoors I would worry about him getting heatstroke. As is, he looks tortured, and I don't believe it is healthy to reach such a high heart rate when he isn't used to it from prior athletics. IMO you need to build up to it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is gassed. It's actually like how I used to feel when my high school football coach made us run wind sprints and then do ups/downs until we puked. If we trained outdoors I would worry about him getting heatstroke. As is, he looks tortured, and I don't believe it is healthy to reach such a high heart rate when he isn't used to it from prior athletics. IMO you need to build up to it.
He can still get heat stroke/heat exhaustion indoors.

Watch him. But don't hold the class up.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Karate or taekwondo classes frequently have you marching up and down the practice space performing combinations of blocks, kicks, and hand strikes. That is what I mean by 'floor work'.

And yes, I don't want to embarrass the boy, hence the thread. At the same time I don't want to slow down the class for everyone else since they are doing well.

That's a great idea, Balrog. Kam sa ham ni da!
<Bowing while typing>

Cho'mahnehyo!

Latest Discussions