Tactful Way of Slowing Down Class for Individual

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a teenager in my class who is heavier than ideal. He's also been sedentary until joining my class so he has a hard time keeping up during the floor practice. Bless his heart, he never quits though. That said, I am genuinely worried that he might hurt himself out there, even though I make a point of telling the entire class that they should just slow down or bow out for a drink of water at any time if they need a break. This boy never does which I respect a lot, but I also need to look out for his well-being.

Can anyone think of a tactful way I can give him a break while continuing to work everyone else hard? I can't give him a separate drill to work on without making it obvious what I am doing, yet I don't want to slow down the practice for everyone else since we have a goal of making everyone fitter.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is what I tell a few of mine that are like this: I am the teacher, you are the student and I demand that every new student until they get what I consider their wind for the class take a 30 second every 15 minutes on the side for proper breathing exorcises that will help you ina few months. This way they feel they are like evrybody else and the thirty seconds will help them catch there breath and teach them proper breathing techs. Hope that helps.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you could make a habit when he is in class of making sure you critique people's technique a little bit more often than usual.

This can be done between executions of technique and will result in perhaps a 20-30 second break while you either give input to one person or make a general correction for everyone to work on. As time goes by you simply make these breaks less freuqent. This way people get a bit more input than usual and the student in question gets a bit more of a break without anyone else being the wiser.

Pax,

Chris

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps you could make a habit when he is in class of making sure you critique people's technique a little bit more often than usual.

This can be done between executions of technique and will result in perhaps a 20-30 second break while you either give input to one person or make a general correction for everyone to work on. As time goes by you simply make these breaks less freuqent. This way people get a bit more input than usual and the student in question gets a bit more of a break without anyone else being the wiser.

Pax,

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I suppose I can have someone else continue to count out the repetitions while I give this boy some extra coaching. I'll have to do this judiciously though to avoid showing too much attention to him.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Can't you just tell the entire class to take a minute to get a drink?

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to keep everyone else working, Steve, since they are handling the pace OK.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't. Keep on him about taking breaks as he needs to, and watch him for signs of heat exhaustion or the like... but don't hold everyone else back for him. He'll catch up -- probably faster than you expect.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't. Keep on him about taking breaks as he needs to, and watch him for signs of heat exhaustion or the like... but don't hold everyone else back for him. He'll catch up -- probably faster than you expect.

Agree completely.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Iai, there are a number of 'stances' that are actually very painful for a great many beginner practitioners (and some not-so-beginner ones too :eek:).

So, in a habit I have picked up from my sensei, when I am instructing I use a variation on what Chris suggested above and take more time to explain techniques or corrections so as to give peoples feet and knees a rest :D.

Of course, that isn't really what Dancing was after as he is seeking a way to give one person a breather without halting the whole class.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd just keep on everyone about taking breaks as needed. If he doesn't take that advice, it may be due to stubborness (a wonderful trait, IMO), or he may appear to be tiring, but actually feel fine. Let him decide if he can keep going.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd just keep on everyone about taking breaks as needed. If he doesn't take that advice, it may be due to stubborness (a wonderful trait, IMO), or he may appear to be tiring, but actually feel fine. Let him decide if he can keep going.

I don't think that is prudent. This boy has never worked out before in his life - he's not aware enough of his body to know when to quit even though his spirit and perseverance is strong. He is literally gasping for air and his whole body is flushed.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. I guess I can understand that. I don't think I have a really good idea of what you mean by floor work.

Based on the other comments, I think jks and others have it right. When I started BJJ, I was out of shape and spent most of the class gasping for breath and flushed. The first 3 months of class is a blur, as I tried to just keep up.

The trick is pushing the kid so that he gets into shape, without discouraging him.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Suggestion - incorporate some stretching/breathing drills into your workouts. They don't have to be long breaks; 30 seconds at a time is good. Everyone benefits from the stretches, it breaks the class up and "keeps them off balance" and most importantly, he can catch his breath while stretching.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Karate or taekwondo classes frequently have you marching up and down the practice space performing combinations of blocks, kicks, and hand strikes. That is what I mean by 'floor work'.

And yes, I don't want to embarrass the boy, hence the thread. At the same time I don't want to slow down the class for everyone else since they are doing well.

That's a great idea, Balrog. Kam sa ham ni da!

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Suggestion - incorporate some stretching/breathing drills into your workouts. They don't have to be long breaks; 30 seconds at a time is good. Everyone benefits from the stretches, it breaks the class up and "keeps them off balance" and most importantly, he can catch his breath while stretching.

This is a good idea. When I first started my instructors were sure to take a bit of a break after working people hard and concentrate on breathing exercises. They'd explain how to control your breathing when doing techniques and how to breathe when you were tired to get your wind back. This topic was covered by a high ranking ITF Master at a seminar I went to last year. It was funny but he gave a little lesson covering the exact same stuff my instructors hit on the first day or so about 24 years ago :lol:

Stretching I do usually reserve for the end of class cool-down, however. I don't know if doing it and then returning to work out and then stretching and then working out would have a deleteriuos effect or not.

Pax,

Chris

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Surprised to be the voice of dissent here, but I don't think you should do anything different. If he's not getting hurt, let him push through with his great work ethic. He may make significant changes with his body, and he's clearly motivated to keep up. I'm sure you're keeping an eye open for signs of injury. I think that and the procedures you've explained are enough.

Carl

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that is prudent. This boy has never worked out before in his life - he's not aware enough of his body to know when to quit even though his spirit and perseverance is strong. He is literally gasping for air and his whole body is flushed.

Perhaps you need to take him aside and give him some instruction on how to tell when one needs to take a break. The gasping for air should worry you, but the flushing may not be an issue, btw; I turn red as a fire truck after even a couple of minutes of light exercise; and I'm in excellent condition. Some people just turn red. After strenuous exercise, the redness sometimes stays (for me) for an hour or more. It's a medical condition (I researched it once, but can't remember the name of it), but is not harmful.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I have the same thing. I always look flushed to one degree or another.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is he gasping for air or just breathing hard? I have mild asthma and don't always keep my inhaler around. So...it doesn't take a whole lot for me to start breathing hard, but I can keep my exertion up for hours at a time (on a hike, for example).

I was in horrible shape when I started MA. My instructors stressed the "do what you can" part...and to not be worried if I wasn't keeping up with the class, because they could tell I was trying. They never slowed the class down for me, and I'm glad they didn't.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't slow the class down...The student if he pushes through will thank you in the end...If not he is going to quit anyway!!!