Being a good fighter

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it's that attitude some people grow up in bad neighbourhoods and constantly fighting and their born into fighting so they're better than those who aren't. Which I think is rubbish just because you throw your hands around against idiots doesn't make you a good fighter
I think it's more along the lines of "You can't teach heart." Which I think is true to some extent.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No ones upset but you are talking bad about a lot of martial arts and then stating you know a lot about one because you've read about it on wikipidea...so yeah people here will call you out on stuff like that because you may have read about it but that means nothing. Unless you've actually trained it you really don't know anything not an insult but just the truth have a nice day

Okay I'm sorry. I'm going to be straight up: I was wrong. Please take the time to read my introduction. Thnx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kick boxing is mostly kicking with no other real techniques that can be used in a fight.

Under Professional Karate Association rules, there is a requirement for a minimum of 8 kicks per round, you will be penalised if you do less. If it is only kicking, why do they stipulate a minimum amount of kicks per round?

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Under Professional Karate Association rules, there is a requirement for a minimum of 8 kicks per round, you will be penalised if you do less. If it is only kicking, why do they stipulate a minimum amount of kicks per round?

I said mostly kicking. But yeah I was wrong. Just don't know how to edit my post.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okey, good. I'm honestly very confused right now because I'm just reading and I can't hear so it's not like I can pick up on the tone in your voice or anything so I wouldn't know

Ok that's easy, I sound like M ( the Dame Judy Dench one but 20 years younger) from James Bond and all you have to remember is that I'm always right ( that's a joke, I'm 99% right...that's a joke too :D) oh and I have the British sense of humour! . :D:D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's more along the lines of "You can't teach heart." Which I think is true to some extent.
That is true, however it can be learned/developed. Some folks are simply afraid of violence at any level. This can be cured by them learning that getting hit isn't nearly as bad as they think. This, I think, is part of that "heart" that can be developed.

Also, the confidence most folks get from developing skill and being competent changes motivation. That may be another part of "heart" that can be learned.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok that's easy, I sound like M ( the Dame Judy Dench one but 20 years younger) from James Bond and all you have to remember is that I'm always right ( that's a joke, I'm 99% right...that's a joke too :D) oh and I have the British sense of humour! . :D:D

Still confused lol! ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OP Don't feel bad about the pile on. I had to post a crap load of my videos during my first month of being new at MartialTalk. lol. Granted I didn't make the statements that you made, I still got a good thrashing here lol.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I said mostly kicking. But yeah I was wrong. Just don't know how to edit my post.

Kick boxing is mostly kicking with no other real techniques that can be used in a fight.
The no other real techniques part is what caught my eye. My kickboxing instructor, Jean-Yves Thériault (kickboxer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , won by knockouts from both hands and both feet in a professional career that lasted more than 15 years.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great, now I'll be picturing Dame Dench every time I read your posts - and imagining her scrabbling on the ground in a gym.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who worked out with people like Bill Wallace.

He's still coming across here doing seminars!

I was 16 once, not sure I'd like to be again but dear me I'd like a nice 25 year old body........ :cool:

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The no other real techniques part is what caught my eye. My kickboxing instructor, Jean-Yves Thériault (kickboxer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , won by knockouts from both hands and both feet in a professional career that lasted more than 15 years.

You're right. I just went off of what my Friend told me who's a kick boxer but assuming he's wrong I'll try to edit my post. Sorry

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is true, however it can be learned/developed. Some folks are simply afraid of violence at any level. This can be cured by them learning that getting hit isn't nearly as bad as they think. This, I think, is part of that "heart" that can be developed.

Also, the confidence most folks get from developing skill and being competent changes motivation. That may be another part of "heart" that can be learned.
Totally agree that it can be developed, but everyone has tendencies. Some people are analytical, some are creative, some are stubborn or pugnacious. You can take someone who isn't inherently creative (which can be for many reasons) and give them tools to help them be MORE creative. In the same way, you can teach someone who is on the autism spectrum to be MORE social.

In much the same way, you can cultivate "heart." But there are some people who just have it, and in a battle of wills, where all other things are roughly equal, they will usually come out on top.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you don't believe I'm a martial artist then I'm not going to sit here and debate with you. I could take some videos of me doing moves and DM them to you tho. I'm 16 yrs old so I haven't been training for decades. But my Master has been. And Many family members have taught me their techniques as well. I'm just giving my opinions but if you don't wanna read them nobody is making you. It's called free will.

Well I'm new to this whole app and this forum and so far everyone is getting upset instead of just having a conversation. But my cousin takes Ninjutsu and he is one of my training patterns so a lot of my knowledge is very good. Everyone seems to assume I am bashing other arts and just love Taekwondo when in fact I know that a Jeet Kune Do guy would probably get the best of me.

Nobody said you don't train and no one is upset, the statement was Mr. Parker has experience in ninjutsu so telling to go look at wikipedia is silly, I mean did you see his signature? He has lots of experience and if you click those links you will see it.