Beginning again late in life

steverts

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for moral support and general advice, nothing specific. Back in the day, 35 years ago, I was a San Dan instructor in Shito-Ryu Karate'. I had also studied Judo, Japanese JuJitsu and Kajukenbo. Been in a couple of real fights I had no trouble with.

Now retired, in my late 60's I am overweight and out of shape. I have an artificial knee and other orthopedic problems, but I they will not keep me down! I want to get back into martial arts. I did not want to get back into Karate. Too hard on the joints and I would be re-traveling old ground. I tried boxing, which I liked, but the sparring did not seem to be a good idea at my age. Then I tried two different Krav Maga instructors. No offense to that art, but I was not impressed. Why do a five step move when I can just nail someone and put him down, even after all these years? Also, I was looking for more of a workout.

I went around and checked out about every school in town and found one that is a long drive for me and expensive, but I just took a liking to it. They teach Muay Thai and BJJ. The head instructor has been doing both arts for 24 years and teaching for 18. FWIW, he just took a vacation to climb Mt. Killamanjaro. The other two instructors are cops, who also have a lot of years in. I like it! My only issue is I have been plagued with health issues that I chalk up to getting my old body active again. I have had to stop and start over a couple of times, but always look forward to getting back to class. The advice I have gotten to be able to keep going is: warm up before class, spar light and tap early. Anyhow, that's my ramblings. If anyone has anything to say, I'd love to hear it.
Hi Jmf552
I can relate. I started martial arts (hapkido) in my mid 40’s. As great as it was for me, I gradually had to be more careful with various techniques.
When my doJang closed, I found some great Muay Thai gyms and loved training. When I got to my early 60’s, I had to switch to mostly privates. I would suggest private lessons (at least to start out) if you can afford it. Muay Thai and the training can be awesome, but each gym is different in the intensity and attitude. Safety has different meanings if you’re 68 or 28.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am 68, one lung and a heart issue. I've studied martial arts since 1973. My suggestion is to find a Chen Taijiquan instructor who focuses on the martial aspects. It is a deep, fascinating art and will challenge you to move differently. It is athletic but you can adapt to your own issues. It will help maintain good leg strength as you get older. And it will give you a new perspective on self-defense. With the right teacher, it is a powerful martial art. But good Chen style teachers are hard to find in person, unless you live in a big city.
The problem is that a genuinely knowledgeable instructor in any taiji lineage, particularly Chen, who understands and can teach the martial aspects of the system, are a rarity, even in most big cities. I don’t think suggesting he find a teacher in a method that is unlikely to be available to him is very helpful. What he needs to do is look at what is available in his area, and then make choices from there.

OP
J

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
The problem is that a genuinely knowledgeable instructor in any taiji lineage, particularly Chen, who understands and can teach the martial aspects of the system, are a rarity, even in most big cities. I don’t think suggesting he find a teacher in a method that is unlikely to be available to him is very helpful. What he needs to do is look at what is available in his area, and then make choices from there.
Thanks. And also as I mentioned, I studied Tai Chi for over 15 years. I think one would assume I could make my own evaluation on that. Also, I hate the stereotype I hear all the time. "If you're old, all you can do is Tai Chi."

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. And also as I mentioned, I studied Tai Chi for over 15 years. I think one would assume I could make my own evaluation on that. Also, I hate the stereotype I hear all the time. "If you're old, all you can do is Tai Chi."
How about kendo?

krowe

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for moral support and general advice, nothing specific. Back in the day, 35 years ago, I was a San Dan instructor in Shito-Ryu Karate'. I had also studied Judo, Japanese JuJitsu and Kajukenbo. Been in a couple of real fights I had no trouble with.

Now retired, in my late 60's I am overweight and out of shape. I have an artificial knee and other orthopedic problems, but I they will not keep me down! I want to get back into martial arts. I did not want to get back into Karate. Too hard on the joints and I would be re-traveling old ground. I tried boxing, which I liked, but the sparring did not seem to be a good idea at my age. Then I tried two different Krav Maga instructors. No offense to that art, but I was not impressed. Why do a five step move when I can just nail someone and put him down, even after all these years? Also, I was looking for more of a workout.

I went around and checked out about every school in town and found one that is a long drive for me and expensive, but I just took a liking to it. They teach Muay Thai and BJJ. The head instructor has been doing both arts for 24 years and teaching for 18. FWIW, he just took a vacation to climb Mt. Killamanjaro. The other two instructors are cops, who also have a lot of years in. I like it! My only issue is I have been plagued with health issues that I chalk up to getting my old body active again. I have had to stop and start over a couple of times, but always look forward to getting back to class. The advice I have gotten to be able to keep going is: warm up before class, spar light and tap early. Anyhow, that's my ramblings. If anyone has anything to say, I'd love to hear it.
Thats awesome that you wanna continue training. I feel that there is a way for people of all ages to get something out of martial arts. Definately would agree on the tap early, keep sparring light, and warm up. Some additional advice is that you may want to have a light but regular aerobic /conditioning exercise outside of classes that you can do at home to keep the joints supported and the muscles active. That will ensure that you can stay in good condition long term and help prevent injuries. Id recommend eggweights, which are small handweights that fit in your palm. I have a couple different types of.them but they are great for martial arts conditioning and physical therapy too. Going through a dumbell complexes and then shifting from isometrics to a more fluid taichi like flow as you slowly go through the various strikes amd parries (gently and fluidly) will be easy on the body and privide a suprising amount of conditioning without putting too much strain on the body. Like most training aimed at longevity, its best if you do it regularly and focus on consistancy vs going till exhaustion. Since your just getting back into the swing of things some lind of regular but gentle conditioning to get your body in shape amd stay limber would be best for injury prevention. Good luck!

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score

you said you want to study a martial art
then you selected two sports to train in.
Do not confuse a exersise program with martial
arts training. Discipline your self, lose weight
exercise , try biking, swimming and the like which
are good cardio but low impact. Then find a traditional
martial arts dojo (not a sport club) in your area,
a place you can regularly attend at least 3-4 times
a week.
" a little a lot , is better than a lot a little"
as we age , everything takes longer to develop and
we are impatient because we remember being young,
when we could learn and develop more rapidly.
Don't push your self, take your time, which is
why you need to separate exercise, and weight loss from
martial training. You will realize results in losing
weight and in exercising before you see a lot of progress
in a martial art, they all eventually fit together and work together
to form a new result, but, IMO If you start with them all
together as one, you will burn out , or injure your self,
trying to do things that a old out of shape super hero couldn't
do.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm 78 and going strong in my art. I started at age 25. It sounds like you're hard to please or your frustrated. Now if you have physical problems like you say, then Muay Thai and BJJ will probably aggravate it. I have studied Tracy Kenpo to black belt and it was too rigid. I studied then Ed Parker American Kenpo and it fit the bill. The movements of Kenpo are not as damaging as the two arts you mentioned. I have also found that practicing Kenpo (I also teach it to adults only), as transformed and kept my body very limber; almost that of a 30 year old!
Hope this helps!
Puyallup, WA

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
you said you want to study a martial art
then you selected two sports to train in.
Do not confuse a exersise program with martial
arts training.
I'm confused. I must be missing it, but where did he choose sports that weren't martial arts? He tried Boxing, krav maga, muay thai and bjj. All of those are martial arts, and they can be exercise programs but I don't see anywhere that he indicated they were.

OP
J

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm confused. I must be missing it, but where did he choose sports that weren't martial arts? He tried Boxing, krav maga, muay thai and bjj. All of those are martial arts, and they can be exercise programs but I don't see anywhere that he indicated they were.
Yeah, that has me a bit confused too and I'm the OP. To be clear, I AM CURRENTLY studying Muay Thai and BJJ, both as martial arts and as exercise, and I like it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that has me a bit confused too and I'm the OP. To be clear, I AM CURRENTLY studying Muay Thai and BJJ, both as martial arts and as exercise, and I like it.
Cool, glad to know I'm not going crazy. Had to read your post like 4 times to make sure I wasn't just being oblivious.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Not considered real martial arts would be my guess.

Which is fine. I have the same opinion but reversed.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If the training works. Then you should have the majority of people getting at least proficient.

I bet old mate walks in to that BJJ gym and most people in that room will be able to manhandle him.

Which would be an amazing coincidence that the whole room just happens to be superior individuals.
Never under estimate what an old man knows...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Come again? What does that mean?

There is a suggestion that if a martial art is a sport then it is watered down in some way. Not martial enough or spiritual enough. Or some such like that.

And my reverse opinion is the people saying that are generally weeaboo larpers.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I agree with those who’ve recommended the “internal” martial arts: tai chi, bagua, xing yi. I mean, do you REALLY need to risk getting busted up and not being able to train at all? Find a good tai chi instructor who teaches tai chi as a martial art. You’ll get a different perspective on self defense, a good workout, and a lot of other benefits. You’ll be sorry you didn’t do it sooner.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Because who would want to be these guys?

William Di Carlo

White Belt
Reaction score

My story is similar, keep at it sir! Keep setting the example!

OP
J

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with those who’ve recommended the “internal” martial arts: tai chi, bagua, xing yi. I mean, do you REALLY need to risk getting busted up and not being able to train at all? Find a good tai chi instructor who teaches tai chi as a martial art. You’ll get a different perspective on self defense, a good workout, and a lot of other benefits. You’ll be sorry you didn’t do it sooner.
Like I said, I spent 15 years in the internal arts when I was younger. I can make my own decision on that, I wanted them to be all that people say they are and I had an amazing instructor. But in retrospect, they were 15 years wasted. This is just my personal opinion. It does not apply to anyone else. But in retrospect, I found the internal arts poor for SD, poor for any accepted measure of vigorous exercise and boring. There, I said it.

I want some spark in my later years, even if it is risky. I don't want to spend my later years walking on eggshells.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like I said, I spent 15 years in the internal arts when I was younger. I can make my own decision on that, I wanted them to be all that people say they are and I had an amazing instructor. But in retrospect, they were 15 years wasted. This is just my personal opinion. It does not apply to anyone else. But in retrospect, I found the internal arts poor for SD, poor for any accepted measure of vigorous exercise and boring. There, I said it.

I want some spark in my later years, even if it is risky. I don't want to spend my later years walking on eggshells.
No single method is the right choice for everyone. People need to find the method and the teacher who are a good fit for them. What is right for you could be exactly wrong for the next guy. This is the single biggest reason why there is no single, objectively “best” martial system.

I also spent over a decade training taiji, along with other things. Ultimately I had to recognize that taiji is not the right choice for me and spending more time and energy on it was simply taking time and energy away from other things that fit me better.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like I said, I spent 15 years in the internal arts when I was younger. I can make my own decision on that, I wanted them to be all that people say they are and I had an amazing instructor. But in retrospect, they were 15 years wasted.
Nothing is wasted. Surely, after 15 years, some benefits of internal arts were developed: flow, centering, balance, breathing, etc. Most of internal elements can be applied to the external styles, especially as one gets more advanced and understand the unity of yin and yang.
Us old guys have paid our dues and deserve to walk the way and where we want. With nothing to prove, we have the freedom to not give a sh*t and the freedom to be true to ourselves. Spark on!